The TV Series discussion thread

I've started watching the last episodes of Better Call Saul - a little too early since I'm waiting for the last one now. I'm a fan of the way they organized it, but story-wise it has a good deal of major events.

While waiting in breathless anticipation for the series finale of Better Call Saul, I've been catching up on a show I've neglected, Grantchester. It's always a fun time to visit this hamlet!

Finished Better Call Saul, and re-watched the finale more than once. -p. The ending was darn near perfect, yet I suspect this is the end of the Jimmy/Saul universe, as it sure felt that way. Yet what a conclusion!

Finished Better Call Saul, and re-watched the finale more than once. -p. The ending was darn near perfect, yet I suspect this is the end of the Jimmy/Saul universe, as it sure felt that way. Yet what a conclusion!
Yes, it's the last season.

Well at least he's among friends 😂

Yes, it's the last season.

Well at least he's among friends 😂
I think he knows full well it's the last season of Better Call Saul. Doesn't 100% mean it's the end of the "Gilligan-verse", though I expect it will/should be. (There's already people yammering about a Kim spinoff, because that's what people do)

I didn't really like the second half of season 6 until the last two episodes, but they brought it home. I'm not sure if I like BCS more than BB... been too long since I've seen the former... but I do know that I found it far more interesting as a character study. Walt was a prick from beginning to end. Jimmy was a lot more complex.

I'd be all in for a Kim, or even Bill follow-up to the series, but I distinctly got the feeling we were saying goodbye to all the players, threads, and elements of that entire universe in the past few episodes. I'd be ecstatic to be wrong, though!

And yeah, I despised Walt from the get-go, and was simply watching each episode praying he'd get his just desserts...and man, when you thought he couldn't get any worse, he found a way to do it!. For me, Better Call Saul was the superior show, one I look forward to re-watching in the future. BTW, that Walt cameo in the final episode....just damn. For Jimmy, I think Walt was simply a reincarnation of his brother, Charles. Two pricks from the same coin. -p

I think he knows full well it's the last season of Better Call Saul. Doesn't 100% mean it's the end of the "Gilligan-verse", though I expect it will/should be. (There's already people yammering about a Kim spinoff, because that's what people do)
Please no. Let's not turn this into TWD.

I didn't really like the second half of season 6 until the last two episodes, but they brought it home. I'm not sure if I like BCS more than BB... been too long since I've seen the former... but I do know that I found it far more interesting as a character study. Walt was a prick from beginning to end. Jimmy was a lot more complex.
Season 6 was not my preferred one and I had mixed feelings about the 3 last episodes or so, maybe in part because I was apprehensive about this being the end of the series, but also because I wasn't fond of the back & forth of mixed past/present episodes, with a few past clues right before they are used to justify other things in the present. I still liked it overall, there were neat moments and of course the development of main characters continue to surprise.

I preferred this series too, for the same reason. Jimmy was a very interesting character, and the interaction / chemistry between Kim and Jimmy was intriguing. In comparison, Breaking Bad had the same level of absurd turns of events, but I found the characters were less interesting. It's been a long time too so maybe I should watch it again to see if I missed anything.

I'd be all in for a Kim, or even Bill follow-up to the series, but I distinctly got the feeling we were saying goodbye to all the players, threads, and elements of that entire universe in the past few episodes. I'd be ecstatic to be wrong, though!

And yeah, I despised Walt from the get-go, and was simply watching each episode praying he'd get his just desserts...and man, when you thought he couldn't get any worse, he found a way to do it!. For me, Better Call Saul was the superior show, one I look forward to re-watching in the future. BTW, that Walt cameo in the final episode....just damn. For Jimmy, I think Walt was simply a reincarnation of his brother, Charles. Two pricks from the same coin. -p
I'm not sure about Kim, we see her a lot so it wouldn't feel like discovering a new character. I'm not sure I see who Bill is? I'm not too good with names.

I liked Mike too, but it's the same, we see a lot of his history. Perhaps a prequel with a focus on him, but they'd need to find a younger actor who can match his style and appearance.

Nacho looked like he had something worth telling too. But maybe it's time to let this universe rest, I fear it would lose its originality.

PS: maybe a spoiler for your last post? :)

I've been looking for a good TV show for what seems like the longest time.

It's not been easy, but I think I've finally found something that keeps my interest:

Ripper Street.

I'm on season 2 right now - and though I have a bad feeling that it's turning into something more shlocky than the first season - I still really like the show.

It's not what I would consider amazing or even great - just solid and occasionally very good indeed.

Apart from the setting, which is among my favorites (Victorian Era London) - the best thing about it are the characters.

It's so refreshing to see both male and female characters get equal treatment - where there's plenty of both kindly and cruel examples of both - and everything in-between.

I know it's not part of the modern agenda - but I've always greatly enjoyed entertainment that doesn't seem to preach a lot, and which demonstrates the advantage of just focusing on the characters rather than what should be trivial details for the most part, including gender and race.

Gender and race are both very much part of the show, but it's handled in a plausible way within context - and not shoe-horned in where villains are predetermined, before the first word is even written.

Sad that it needs mentioning, but I guess I just missed shows before circa 2016.

Bill is the former prosecutor-turned-to-defence-attorney by the end of the series. Like I said I'd be all-in for another series in this universe, yet I also found this an apt and fitting end. What a great show, and will rank high in my ratings for years to come.

BTW, that Walt cameo in the final episode....just damn.
Yeah, that scene is amazing. It was like Bryan Cranston never stopped playing that character. Smart, prickly... vintage Walt. I enjoyed that scene a lot more than the one in the RV. (The Chuck scene was great too; those flashbacks were good reminders of how amazing the acting has been over this entire run)

At the end of Season 3 of Ripper Street - and it has gone from solid to quite fantastic.

Characters are flawed. Characters have arcs - and women are impressive without trying to act like men. We even have women trying to act like men and learning why it's not necessarily all it's cracked up to be.

It's full of grey areas and it's not predictable.

It has both continuity and individual plot-lines.

Music is great.

Full of genuine emotion.

I sure do hope it can maintain momentum. I understand that it was the kind of show that was always getting cancelled and then saved at the last minute.

That must have been hell for the writers - as there's a few major plotlines that would have to be changed around constantly.

Anyway, incredibly underrated - and it definitely deserved more than 37 episodes.

I just finished watching the first episode of House of the Dragon.

It wasn't nearly as bad as I was anticipating it to be, but it probably helped that I had very low expectations. The production values seem to be roughly on par with GoT except for the dragons which I didn't find convincing at all.

The acting isn't bad either (so far), but the cast definitely seems like a step down compared to GoT. Overall, I liked it enough to want to keep watching it for now.

I just finished watching the first episode of House of the Dragon.

It wasn't nearly as bad as I was anticipating it to be, but it probably helped that I had very low expectations. The production values seem to be roughly on par with GoT except for the dragons which I didn't find convincing at all.

The acting isn't bad either (so far), but the cast definitely seems like a step down compared to GoT. Overall, I liked it enough to want to keep watching it for now.
How's the woke-factor?

katla is a good series that left an impression.
only 8 episodes, in a very slow paced, film like, and no hollywood bullshit.
yes it's icelandic, but I recommend it. it has a very futuristic view of how we see ourselves, and the perfection we want which is that is actually killing us.

I am curious as to how exactly the tv adaptation will look, as compared to the book. I'll likely check out the first House of the Dragon sometime this week.

I'm still making my was through the Vikings rewatch, up to episode ten of the fourth series. I'd forgotten how much of Alfred's real-life story was incorporated into this show, granted it's not a focus yet still nice to see it even mentioned. His entire family, especially the generation prior to him, were completely bonkers, imo.

Back
Top Bottom