The TV Series discussion thread

To be honest I'm getting disappointed by House of the Dragon. It had a good start and I'm still curious to see how it will continue but it didn't develop as I hoped it would, it remains a small struggle for power. The new actors don't help much either, they feel bored and they don't even look like they really want what they are claiming.

And yeah, Viserys... good acting but am I the only one thinking it's a little overdone, the big act of survival in face of such an exaggerated and gory sickness? I suppose it was supposed to be a moving episode but for me it was a distraction, I was wondering whether the next episode would merge with TWD. ;)

It's not a bad show but it's very small in comparison to GoT. I suppose the complete change of style was just not what I expected before the new series started. The Rings of Power is criticized for not being epic, but this is far worse; let's hope they wake up in the last 2 episodes.

It's not a bad show but it's very small in comparison to GoT. I suppose the complete change of style was just not what I expected before the new series started. The Rings of Power is criticized for not being epic, but this is far worse; let's hope they wake up in the last 2 episodes.
The Rings of Power is criticized for a lot more than just not being epic.

House of the Dragon is indeed much smaller than GoT because it's focusing on far fewer people. On the flip side, the main characters get more screen time than they did in GoT. That's both good and bad since the acting is hit or miss.

Overall, I don't think it's close to being as good as GoT, but imo that's mainly due to the cast. It's still the best fantasy show on TV right now, although that's obviously not saying much.

The Rings of Power is criticized for a lot more than just not being epic.

House of the Dragon is indeed much smaller than GoT because it's focusing on far fewer people. On the flip side, the main characters get more screen time than they did in GoT. That's both good and bad since the acting is hit or miss.

Overall, I don't think it's close to being as good as GoT, but imo that's mainly due to the cast. It's still the best fantasy show on TV right now, although that's obviously not saying much.
It costs about 3 times as much as GoT's 1st season according to this (I've seen similar values elsewhere), probably because there's more CGI, and there's been some inflation too. Maybe they had a better budget management in GoT, with many interesting actors/characters at the beginning to give a good impression, then killing them progressively to save money as they were introducing CGI. ;)

It costs about 3 times as much as GoT's 1st season according to this (I've seen similar values elsewhere), probably because there's more CGI, and there's been some inflation too. Maybe they had a better budget management in GoT, with many interesting actors/characters at the beginning to give a good impression, then killing them progressively to save money as they were introducing CGI. ;)
Seems about right. The last season of GoT was almost 3 times the first season (15m vs 6m per episode) and that's been almost 4 years ago now, so HotD cost about what I would expect it to. It doesn't make much sense to compare it to the first season of GoT all the way back in 2010-11.

My disdain for all things in the Disney/Marvel universe is pretty well known, yet I watched something last night that I found enjoyable: Werewolf By Night. If I remember right, these started off in the comics in the Spotlight series in the seventies, and were pretty darn fun to read. The telly show/film captures that about as good as one could hope for, and I sincerely pray we see more of this universe at some point, as the one-off was really fun.

My disdain for all things in the Disney/Marvel universe is pretty well known, yet I watched something last night that I found enjoyable: Werewolf By Night. If I remember right, these started off in the comics in the Spotlight series in the seventies, and were pretty darn fun to read. The telly show/film captures that about as good as one could hope for, and I sincerely pray we see more of this universe at some point, as the one-off was really fun.
I've yet to watch it but I've heard universal praise.

A friend of mine co-hosts a podcast with that same name (covering mostly comics), and the director asked them to moderate a Q&A in Los Angeles last Friday. Flew them out there and gave them the VIP treatment. Now they're buds with Giacchino, apparently.

They even got a nod on a gravestone on the show. "Jacob Howl" refers to them.

Last edited:
I just watched the latest and I don't think I'm whistling anything. Which is to say, I honestly think it's pretty good. Of course, you may still might not, but hopefully you recognise the increase in quality.
I watched the first episode of Andor, and I certainly see where you're coming from. The first half of the episode I thought was superb, but then I felt it bogged down a bit in the regular Star Wars stuff.

But the good aspects are really good. Superb direction, writing, performances, camerawork - the whole enchilada. No idea how the series will go, but I definitely agree in terms of that kind of quality.

I finished the Jeffrey Dahmer series on Netflix. After initially finding it pretty good, I had to force myself to finish the last few episodes.

They spent way too much time beating the SJW horse in the second half. Yeah, we get that the police were negligent, but how many times can you repeat the same message?

I've always liked Paddy Considine, and he was the main factor that made me consider watching HotD. I thought ep 8 was tremendous. Some of the actors are not as strong, but I thought Olivia Cooke also showed real depth. I'm completely on board with it, at this point.

I'm still liking HotD a whole lot. Good stuff.
I would have at least eaten Lord Hightower, though.

Just finished season 2 of Outcast, which is the last season because it was cancelled way back (season 2 was broadcast in 2017).
I watched the first season before I knew it was cancelled, enjoyed it, and then thought what the hell, might as well see what happens in the second. Now I'll have to get hold of the graphic novel omnibus to see how it was all meant to end up.
For those not in the know, features mass possession and Data carving people up and disposing of their bodies. Nice to see Brent Spiner getting to exercise his darker side.

The Outcast show was decent, the graphic novels even better. Easy to enjoy them both, and I thought the show would have lasted longer.

Andor is keeping me intrigued, and I think I've nailed down what appeals to me about this show: it actually shows us WHY people didn't care for the existing empire. No other show, at least the ones I've seen nor films have actually given reasons as to why people fought against the current regime, and Andor shows some rather poignant reasons. That's world-construction, that is detailing motivations behind character actions, and it's compelling. I've waited a long time for a Star Wars show I could enjoy, and this is one.

I thought House of Dragons wrapped up rather nicely, I'll be checking out the second series for sure, whenever that happens!

As for now I'm watching the third series of For All Mankind, the Jack Ryan series on Amazon, and series six of Vikings. I've listed them in order of enjoyment. -)

View: https://twitter.com/PrimeVideo/status/1584953052401848321/photo/1

I have a feeling we're about to have the third dumpster-fire tv-series from amazon studios. Somehow looks awful, even though it imitates the game, I guess. But I think some things are just not meant to be see in live-action. Otherwise they look dorky as hell. You can't see much from that still, but it really looks like some fan cosplay footage.

Am I just overly negative? Anyone else seeing anything promising in that still?

Last edited:
Trying to catch up on the shows I was missing over the last month when I was without internet. I just watched episodes 7 & 8 of House of the Dragon.

It's still entertaining, but I'm starting to find it difficult to keep track of all the different kids. Rhaenyra alone has five of them and is pregnant again?

I loved the scene in Ep 8 when
Daemon Targaryen beheaded Vaemond
That was classic GoT.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom