The TV Series discussion thread

I did watch the first episode of the English last night, seemed ok though somewhat contrived, at least the cast and setting look basically realistic. I'll be checking out at least another episode and see how it goes. It's nice to see a First Nation member as a prominent participant at least, I'll be hoping he'll stay the course of the show.

I watched a few more episodes of Cabinet of Curiosities. Some interesting stuff there. The fifth episode was a take on H.P. Lovecraft's "Pickman's Model" and I thought it was pretty good.

I also saw the first episode of Cabinet of Curiosities. Seemed pretty solid. Loved the visuals. It's too bad they're each independent from each other. Since just as it's about to get good, it ends. But on the other hand, now that I think about it, if they were to continue, and probably milk that idea, it would likely get stale and outstay its welcome. So maybe it's better that each is an independent little piece.

I also saw the second to last episode of TWD S11. I think the series finale is supposed to air tomorrow or something. And, I think it's gonna be forgetable shit, just as it was this whole season. They really wasted a whole season with nothing remarkable. It just felt like mostly filler content.

Another thing they started doing with the last 5 or so episodes, iirc, is they start each episode if a flashback montage of events from the previous seasons, each of them focused on one of the characters. But the whole rest of the episode has nothing tied to that. So that seems like the single cheap thread that seems to even attempt at something of a grander context to everything that has lead to this point. I'll be curios what they do in the very last episode, but it's been very meandering and uninspired.

As I said, it feels like there's absolutely no attempt at a wrap-up or trying to give more meaning to the whole journey. And if the last 5-10 seasons would've been stellar that would be absolutely fine, since it would feel like it's part of the vision. But it really feels like they really have no idea how to attempt to wrap-up. But come to think of it, I'm not sure what I was even expecting. It should've been obvious with the way things have been going for the past seasons. Imo, the lone and single jolt of life in this whole series was the introduction of Negan, which then they proceed to dilute and waste.

Roughly two weeks ago, I realized I'd not watched all of the Crown, so I dove into the third series and have been impressed with most of the episodes to date. The ones where they stick with facts and not so much fiction are among my favorites, especially the one that details a coal mining disaster in Wales. This time I plan on catching up and watching all of the episodes and not being distracted.

I saw ep 2 of Cabinet of Curiosities, Graveyard Rats. And I loved it. I fell it was inspired by Lovecraft’s Rats in the Walls, or however it’s called. Unless I’m misremembering. Cool stuff. I hope it manages this level of quality.
That episode was good, but it gets better.

Yes, The Crown is a mixed bag, it's a difficult choice because it's not possible to stick just to the facts and get a reasonably fleshed-out story. On the other hand I have the feeling that the motives and feelings are sometimes true, sometimes made up.

I've finished season 5 and didn't like it much. There are a few interesting parts but the main story takes too much space and it's hard to know how much of it is true. Besides, I found it quite boring. I hope it's their last season; if there's a 6th I don't think I'll bother to watch.

For me the 3 first seasons are the best.

Nod, I just viewed an episode of the third series of the Crown, in which Louis Mountbatten is portrayed as almost joining a coup to over-through the legally elected government. Now, being an irish lad, I'm no fan of Mountbatten, nor his entire family for that matter, yet I think they went a tad overboard with this depiction of known events. I also will say that the casting for Louis Mountbatten was spot on, they couldn't have found a better match, imo.

I did like the episode in which Charles received his elevation to Prince of Wales. Watching him interact with "normal" folk is always entertaining.

Finally got around to watching (with my son) the final few episodes of the Cyberpunk 2077 anime.
We enjoyed it a lot in the early episodes, despite it being a bit OTT at times - you know, anime makers gotta anime. The last couple of episodes got really silly though. I think we would have liked it a whole lot more if a slight bit of restraint had been shown.

Well I saw the finale to TWD, and besides being a very average episode, it didn't even feel like much of a finale. There was nothing to wrap up, and they've basically setup the beginning of, apparently, 3 new tv series in the WD universe. It moreso felt like a cliffhanger.

So apparently there's gonna be a Negan and Maggie series, a Daryl Dixon series and another Michonne and Rick series. So much meh. I'm pretty sure this is the end of TWD for me. I really can't imagine I'm gonna follow more series since they've been so uninspired for the last few years.

I'm honestly shocked they're spinning up 3 more series besides FTWD. Is the viewership really that high? Or is it that they can churn them out that cheaply that it makes so much sense financially? Interesting.

So apparently there's gonna be a Negan and Maggie series, a Daryl Dixon series and another Michonne and Rick series. So much meh. I'm pretty sure this is the end of TWD for me. I really can't imagine I'm gonna follow more series since they've been so uninspired for the last few years.
Those were all announced quite awhile ago. AMC is going to try to milk the IP to the last drop.

The only thing that suprises me somewhat is that all those actors agreed to it. I guess they don't have much else going on career-wise. Either that, or AMC is dangling one hell of a carrot.

TBH, I'm surprised it's generated as much comment around here for so long. It lost me a long time ago. I do wonder what might have been if Darabont had stayed at the helm.

The only thing that suprises me somewhat is that all those actors agreed to it. I guess they don't have much else going on career-wise. Either that, or AMC is dangling one hell of a carrot.
Apparently the actress playing Carol is the only one that said no? She was slated to co-star with Norman Reedus. I would assume she's had enough? I know I would, probably.

TBH, I'm surprised it's generated as much comment around here for so long. It lost me a long time ago. I do wonder what might have been if Darabont had stayed at the helm.
It went downhill at least six seasons ago. I think some of us continued to watch it out of morbid curiosity. :)

Apparently the actress playing Carol is the only one that said no? She was slated to co-star with Norman Reedus. I would assume she's had enough? I know I would, probably.
The one that really surprises me is Andrew Lincoln. I thought he left the show because he was ready to move and didn't want to be forever typecast as Rick Grimes.

The one that really surprises me is Andrew Lincoln. I thought he left the show because he was ready to move and didn't want to be forever typecast as Rick Grimes.
Yeah, I guess they really offered him a lot? He honestly seems among the more higher rated actors on the show. And I did hear some rumors that maybe he'd do some TWD movies, and it kind of made sense since that way he's not tied to it for a long time. But I would assume the filled his pockets.

Personally, Rick and Shane were my favorite from the show. So if I were to have a reason to watch something I guess Rick would be it. And I would really hope they get fresh writers and showrunners for them. I think we've seen that the people that had the creative direction of TWD in the last years were absolutely bankrupt imaginatively.

But considering there's also the issue of budget, and if AMC is still as stingy as they were when TWD was in its prime, that can also impact. And it also sounds like they're blowing their budget on keeping actors on, that might not otherwise want to be on? I don't know. We'll see.

Personally, I've never really understood the interest in any of the Walking Dead stuff. I watched until the third season hoping I was missing something? That it would get better? That it wasn't just typical made-for-TV melodrama + zombies? It just wore me out with its puerile plot arcs; it wasn't so much a post-apocalyptic zombie series as much as it was a poorly-paced soap opera with zombies added on top - zombies that rarely represented any danger to our heroes of the week.

Back
Top Bottom