The TV Series discussion thread

The third episode is important, and thematically connected, because of who and what Bill is and how much his experience resonates with Joel. Watch the scene with the letter again. If you have any clue about what the games are actually about (spoiler: it ain't zombies), then the connnection should be obvious.

I'm almost halfway through season 2 of The Wire, and while it's taken a bit to get the hang of what the second season will tackle, it's also been very enjoyable to watch very likeable characters in new situations and how old characters are doing. They're really building a huge cast of actors it seems.

So something completely different. There's a group of Australian actors who make little skits on games and RPGs especially. A while back they made a Kickstarter which was funded for £2m+ and did a side-thing which is a fully-fledged DnD tabletop campaign. It is quirky and certainly not for everyone, but the DM is really good in my opinion and if you've ever wondered how DnD campaigns work, this is it.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fEt4yUMG8A&list=PL8UrCqt275jEBJ07mm2FoTWTZiU4rhCQA&index=1&ab_channel=VivaLaDirtLeagueD%26D

Been binging this instead of anything else for weeks now (since 10 Jan :D).

I'm almost halfway through season 2 of The Wire, and while it's taken a bit to get the hang of what the second season will tackle, it's also been very enjoyable to watch very likeable characters in new situations and how old characters are doing. They're really building a huge cast of actors it seems.
every season introduces a bunch more
fortunately, the acting is nearly uniformly excellent

The third episode is important, and thematically connected, because of who and what Bill is and how much his experience resonates with Joel. Watch the scene with the letter again. If you have any clue about what the games are actually about (spoiler: it ain't zombies), then the connnection should be obvious.
You mean exactly the same as TWD? As in how the walking dead refers to the people not the Zombies. It's good that you think that though as a bit of side content can be a good thing sometimes and I'm basing my opinion on what you guys are saying - just as long they still give Joel and Ellie enough of a focus for the big payday ;) Nine episodes does sound very short though, do you think it will be enough to get through everything like what Danutz says?

You mean exactly the same as TWD? As in how the walking dead refers to the people not the Zombies. It's good that you think that though as a bit of side content can be a good thing sometimes and I'm basing my opinion on what you guys are saying - just as long they still give Joel and Ellie enough of a focus for the big payday ;) Nine episodes does sound very short though, do you think it will be enough to get through everything like what Danutz says?
No, that is not what I mean. I didn't read the rest where you explain what I think, since you completely missed the point to begin with.

No, that is not what I mean. I didn't read the rest where you explain what I think, since you completely missed the point to begin with.
Apologies then if you weren't responding to my post like I thought you were. My original post was just saying (in a round about way) that since they have only 9 episodes I hope they don't put too much filler content in and have to rush the story/main character arc. I don't know about any letter yet since I haven't seen it i've only watched the first two episodes

Edit: Ugh, sorry I have seen the third episode, the one with Bill and his mate. Sorry I got confused about the episodes for a second - I haven't seen the 4th episode! Also I haven't played the game and I didn't even know Bill didn't have a big role in the game until someone here said it.

Last edited:
I'd say, for me, the first two seasons of the Wire finish in a dead heat for quality. I've probably watched each of those three to four times already, they are just that damn fine.

I thought the fourth episode of Last of Us was decent, I especially enjoyed when they were driving in the beginning and we got a glimpse of the overall landscape. Bleak, hostile, very post-modern times, it was good to see some of the settings outside the original city.

I finished with the fifth series of Good Fight earlier in the week, I really enjoyed it. Once the show got away from all the Agent Orange junk and focused on good court litigation, as well as some character development, I found it much more pleasing to watch.

And since my library doesn't have the Hap and Leonard books, last night I started watching the telly version.

I've watched the first 4 episodes of Last of Us. It took less time than anticipated because I skipped most of the 3rd episode (no idea what they had in mind when they did that). But except this part, I'm pleasantly surprised overall, even if it's often predictable.

Taking a break from Ozark (after third season) and started rewatching Star Trek: Enterprise. I think my rose-colored memory of this show has really skewed things (or my tastes have changed dramatically). It's just so cringey and outright bad at certain points. That oiling up of Jolene Blalock in the pilot episode was especially bad. Not to mention the boring side-plots (oh, so interesting, what-ever could this guy enjoy as his favorite food?).

I think the main intro / theme song helped my disposition to the series during its original airing. I still enjoy it.

Last edited:
Watching 'Peaky Blinders' on Netflix. Starting the fourth season. In hindsight, the first season was actually fairly weak, but I'm glad I've stuck with it. Each season has gotten better so far. Although I don't like the time gaps between seasons.

Also into the second season of 'Mayor of Kingstown'. So far, not as good as season one.

Just finished episode 05 of The Last of Us. The first 3/4 of it felt like a weak TWD episode, but the last 1/4 was probably my favorite sequence in the series so far.

It's about time we saw some serious action involving the Infected. That was a great scene, but I'm guessing we won't see many like that one. That 5 minutes was probably 90% of the budget for the episode.

I found episode 5 decent and very faithful to the game, but hoped to get more out of the final scene. I did like the small twist they gave it, which humanized Ellie a bit more. But it also risks making her feel naive.

The final action scene didn't really do much for me. I mean, it escalated quickly and looked nice, but also felt a bit too fan-service when they showcase the bloater.
There's a lot of moments that feel too much like explicit fan-service across the whole series. But I'm not sure how you do showcase that without it feeling like that.
I'm not sure you can, without being too subtle that you don't even notice it.
The one subtle nod I kind of liked was the bloater ripping Perry's head off in a death sequence very similar to the one in the game when you get killed by bloaters.

Also, the small twist I mentioned, where Ellie realizes that Sam was infected, I liked the idea of Ellie faking that she believes her blood will fix Sam, to at least make his last moments peaceful and not scared of dying. But then I would've expected her to somehow alert Joel and Henry that he was bit, after Sam falls asleep. That probably would've led to Henry reacting in some other way.
By just sleeping beside him, she either shows she really believed there was a chance her blood could fix it, which is very naive (not sure you can pull that since Ellie really isn't that young). Or maybe you could say she just fell asleep without wanting to?

In the game Sam keeps it to himself that he was infected. It's much more bleak the way they did it in the game, to think Sam was alone in his last moments. But that is also a bit too convenient that a kid of Sam's age would keep that to himself. But I think he was a bit older in the game than in the series.

Anyway, maybe I'm just nitpicking. It was an alright episode, but aside from the final scene involving Sam and Henry, it didn't really have anything remarkable.

I'd give it overall a 8/10. I was expecting much more, since the previous one was a premise and build-up for this one. But it ultimately didn't distinguish itself too much.

Last edited:
In other related topics, I finished season 2 of The Wire. Very solid. This season had surprisingly dense dialogue where they wrap up certain details in just a few remarks, and if you're not paying attention you can easily miss it.
The whole new cast was great, and I'm surprised they keep adding to it and the quality is not diluted.
I also love how the crime plot keeps expanding, tying it back to interests from the first seasons, expanding it with new ones, some of which they wrap up in this one; other remain unsolved. Cool stuff.

I was also surprised at a remark the script makes (I think it was Lester or Kima, in particular), which seemed to be negative towards the FBI. The FBI who was and is known to be an enforcer of powerful interests.
But in this they make it explicit that all the FBI wanted, as part of the port investigation, was to shut down the IBS union.
Very very solid stuff. To portray the entire mosaic of interests.

Last edited:
Peaky Blinders is great, I need to get back to viewing the final two series in that show.

And aye, that second series of the Wire is rock solid. I lived and worked in that area of Baltimore (Federal Hill) in the late eighties into the mid nineties, and it was a living testament to existing in a demilitarized zone, imo. Nothing like stomping on drug items/residue daily to keep you on your toes!

Does anyone have recommendation for any lowkey scifi gems like "The 100." I know it got really bad in later seasons, but what a ride till then. I'm looking for something fast-paced and sucks you in. The most recent ones I watched were the Foundation (fantastic), and Halo (pretty great), and Arcane (pretty decent, not really scifi though). Andor was a little too slow for me, same with Obi-Wan and Boba Fett. Anything older I missed, even lower quality stuff?

I'm only 2 episodes into TLOU (wtached the 2nd one twice, so wife could catch up). It's excellent so far, but I wish a certain character had lasted longer (yeah, I know it's true to the game - which I haven't played much of).

Back
Top Bottom