The TV Series discussion thread

Probably because the acting in GoT is so much better than what's in TWD as to not even be comparable imo.

The characters are certainly much more engaging, that's for sure :)

Also, I have to admit that the dialogue is quite powerful in GoT - even if I think many of the actions taken by the characters are questionable at best.

Pfft… you're in Denmark. You don't know what heat is. ;)
Well, yesterday we peaked at 37°C (that's 98.6° F for you), with a humidity of 80%. That's pretty uncomfortable for a place with a (past) daytime average of 69°F for June. Denmark is a neighbor, so ...

I said it starts slow. The actual action begins in ep 6, something like that. But if you skipped starting episodes, you won't have a clue what the hell is going on. :)

I think we need to change the title of this thread to the GoT Discussion thread!! :)

I've started watching season one of Doctor Who on Netflix. I have seen 2 episodes and like what I've seen so far. I will continue. From what I have heard it gets much better after season 1. I've not much of a Whovian so I really can't say this season is bad yet.

I've started watching season one of Doctor Who on Netflix. I have seen 2 episodes and like what I've seen so far. I will continue. From what I have heard it gets much better after season 1. I've not much of a Whovian so I really can't say this season is bad yet.

Funny you mention that. I first tried Doctor Who like 8 years ago, before Netflix had streaming. I got the first DVD of the first season, and I guess I was expecting something more serious like Star Trek: The Next Generation, because I didn't like it. It had the first 4 episodes of the first season, and I removed the rest of the DVDs from my queue.

But then, a few years later after Netflix added streaming and DVDs started to be a thing of the past, I decided to give it another try… Not only did I finish watching season 1, also season 2, 3, 4, …, up to the last Christmas special showing a bit of the next Doctor. I also wanted to see how it all started, so I downloaded some torrent that had every episode of the old series, from blurry black & white 1963, through the lost episodes that BBC lost because they needed money and reused the tapes, where all that remains are a slideshow of publicity pictures (taken about every 10 seconds) with the audio because somebody luckily recorded the audio on cassettes. Through the introduction of color, through the height of the show which to me was doctors 2, 3 and 4, to the last couple of Doctors in the 80s where the show sort of lost its way and eventually led to its cancellation. I also have a little Dalek on my desk (if you don't know what a Dalek is, look at my forum icon :) ) and my phone's ringtone is the Doctor Who theme. Yep, Doctor Who hooked me, hard.

Last edited:
My favorite old Doctor Who episodes were the ones with Tom Baker. I remember happening onto them in the 80's on PBS. I don't know if each episode was really long or if they were just showing them back to back but I watched like 4 hours worth once and then never saw them again. K-9 was so cheesy as were the costumes and aliens, but that was definitely the charm. I like how they capture that to an extent in the first season of Doctor Who. While there are some CG effects, they also use a lot of costumes. Watched two more last night and got to our first cliffhanger 2 part episode (the episode with the farting aliens).

I love how when tragedy unfolds in each episode the Doctor is always facing it with a huge excited grin while everyone else is panicking.

I said it starts slow. The actual action begins in ep 6, something like that. But if you skipped starting episodes, you won't have a clue what the hell is going on. :)
I'm at episode 5, so I'll hang on. I just can't stand:
- the exaggerated ugh, oh's and other sighs
- 14-year old girls being professors (and immature at the same time)
- incomprehensible japanese humor
Most likely the series is more aimed at (japanese) children. FMA and Death note were more mature.

After seeing FMA and other great japanese shows I watched a more recent show called black butler. The premise sounds very good, but the execution is just too weird for an european to enjoy I guess.

Steins;Gate is hardly aimed at children and yes "tuturu", "meow" and other whatnot grinding verbal expressions tend to be a pain - that's one of reasons it's not a masterpiece. ;)

Didn't watch Black Butler, but heard of it. Weird you say? Then for me it's a must watch. :D
I'll try to find it asap.
[EDIT]
Browsed a bit about it... Apparently BB is totally crazy show, is very popular, season 2 is 675353847 better than the first one and season 3 is currently being made. That's it, I'll definetly have to watch it.

Last edited:
Not very surprising really.

What is surprising is that The Sopranos held that distinction for as long as it did. I have to assume HBO's viewer base is probably significantly larger now than it was 12 years ago.

Personally, I always thought The Sopranos was a little overrated.

It was pretty interesting and novel when it came out, but it was never really for me. Also, it's the kind of show that will suffer heavily as time goes by - and especially because it set in motion major changes for TV shows.

Ironically, being innovative can be an obstacle after several years, because new shows will inevitably have evolved the formula - and the original will seem quaint.

Not very surprising really.

What is surprising is that The Sopranos held that distinction for as long as it did. I have to assume HBO's viewer base is probably significantly larger now than it was 12 years ago.

Personally, I always thought The Sopranos was a little overrated.

Seasons 1 & 2 were great. But the quality in terms of interesting stories declined such that seasons 4 & 5 can definitely be called disappointments. And don't get me started on the horrible series finale that was only a little bit better than Seinfeld's.

Didn't watch Black Butler, but heard of it. Weird you say? Then for me it's a must watch. :D
I'll try to find it asap.
[EDIT]
Browsed a bit about it… Apparently BB is totally crazy show, is very popular, season 2 is 675353847 better than the first one and season 3 is currently being made. That's it, I'll definetly have to watch it.

This was an easy one to find, unlike suggested by someone Monster and famous When Cicada Cry. Can't find those two anywhere. :(

Funimation licensed Black Butler, both seasons, so it's available pretty much everywhere on demand (didn't check if animation channels are airing it regularily though).

Anyway… Watched first half of the first season and am not impressed.

Anything very good? Opening music from Sid, of course, they can't fail (did 3 scores for FMA/FMA:B):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bu8EQxW_7_0

Anything more? No.
Sadly, there is nothing spectacular nor above average in Black Butler. The main protagonist is a rich kid who is there for a reason just to be there. He has some servants who are there just to do whatnot and be funny with that. And they're funny to this anime authors and probably noone else. And of course, since this is a supernatural show, there are things like shinigami, hellhound and - "demonic" black butler. All of them are… Rubbish.

Usually, when you watch anime with supernatural theme, someone is made übercool. Sometimes it's a main hero, sometimes a main villan, sometimes more of protagonists. Here, Square Enix tried to make a cool butler. Sadly, it's just a try. That poor sod is less cool than yucky Lelouch in the worst episode of Code Geass.

Yea, the show was made by Square Enix. No wonder it's so average. They just didn't want to experiment with anything here. It's like a cake made by a lacking of ideas robot out from someone else's recipe.

I won't stop watching it now as I've read that season 2 is better so will return when I finish all of it, but a warning to everyone else - do not expect anything amazing in this show. If you have time for anime and want to experience something extraordinary, try with another show.

After seeing FMA and other great japanese shows I watched a more recent show called black butler. The premise sounds very good, but the execution is just too weird for an european to enjoy I guess.
It's not you being european, it's just the show lacks of "juice".

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom