The TV Series discussion thread

Anyone seen Sons of Anarchy and/or Flashpoint ?

I think both are really good. Flashpoint is one of the best police shows I've seen. The stories actually touch me emotionally, and this rarely happens in tv shows or movies.
Flashpoint follows a special team in Canada which stops criminals of every kind.

Sons of anarchy is a fun gang-crime type of show. It follows a group of bikers. I like the guy who played the Fallout voice : "War, war never changes!" :)

but one of the flaws of TOS (there are many) is the obscene focus on Kirk and his womanizing.

Sorry, but I don't see it as a flaw. IMO it's a great feature and it's a shame TNG didn't have such character.

No sorry, I'm currently on (as posted above) the one of the best cops shows I've seen in my life (Engrenages). Just started to watch season 3.

Also I'm trying to get a bulgarian show Pod prikritie (Undercover):
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1909015/
The problem with this show is that I can't find it anywhere at all, I'll probably have to ask some bulgarian friends (from LoL) to smuggle it over here somehow.

This doesn't mean I'm watching anything as long as it's not from Hollywood… That's far from the truth. It's some cretinous "holidays pause" time so I'm waiting for continuation of some series (Arrow is on hold, Fringe just started to roll on, not sure when I'll see new episodes of Supernatural, then soon there should be the final Spartacus season, etc) but in the meantime I've seen that Golden Globes adore series Homeland which I skipped for whatever reason:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1796960/
I'll check that one for sure.

Also I have to mention that I've watched a certain great anime series. I did watch a few anime series ages ago and all were crap. This one however was a masterpiece. Currently I'm trying to find out is there any more of anime great stuff - as seriously I thought it's all Pokemon and shitty clones that exist out there. TV stations over here are guilty, not a single one ever bought or shown any true masterwork of anime, just the stuff I wouldn't recommend to anyone.

I watch Sons of Anarchy whenever it's on … pretty entertaining, I think, a real trip down memory lane because some of the characters remind me of my time as a parole officer.

Then I did a Star Wars: The Clone Wars retrospective of season 3 with sonny, and I remembered why I came to like Ventress so much … she may be younger, slimmer and less hairy than yours truly, but we seem to share a fetish* ^^. And no, it's not Obi-Wan.

*S3Ep2

Not me... What is it about?
If it's drama, sitcom, soap opera or a combo of those - count me out. :)

A TV series I recently caught up with was Continuum which is a semi-scifi police drama. Only 10 eps for season 1 with season 2 being 13 according to the press release. It should be out later this year.

Continuum will start soon here. Season 1... Dunno about next season(s)... I'll make sure not to skip it.

Corwin, I remember watching a certain old series named Return to Eden when I was young. Ever heard of that one? :D
I couldn't bare to watch it again, at least not now when I'm an old-fart…

Sorry, never heard of that one and I know most of the old ones; I'm an even older fart!! :)

Ah, I totally ignore ALL soapies; life is WAY too short to watch any of that rubbish!!

Yea, but this one doesn't have 2 thousands of episodes like Santa Barbara (2137 to be precise)...
It's short, was not *that* soapy back then, and hell, where did patriotism go?! :D

No sorry, I'm currently on (as posted above) the one of the best cops shows I've seen in my life (Engrenages). Just started to watch season 3.
+1 on this one ! Not because I'm French, as I usually despise French series as most of them are really bad, at best, but because this series is actually one of the best I've ever watched. It's very realistic, well acted and the stories are interesting. A series I'd warmly recommend if you appreciate police stories with cops who act as actual persons, with their flaws, instead of super heroes. Another French police series which I found to be good was Braquo. It's been made by an ex cop and despite the fact that the story didn't seem as realistic as Engrenage, it was action packed and pretty good to watch. Don't know if it's available on foreign TV channels though ? I recommend it as well.

Another French police series which I found to be good was Braquo… Don't know if it's available on foreign TV channels though ?
Currently in Europe, Braquo can be watched on Canal+, Fox Crime, FX and RAI4.
As other french shows, seasons are filmed every two years, not year by year like Hollywood stuff. Currently the show has 2 seasons and according to fans season 2 is not as good as season 1. It's not cancelled and there will be season 3.

Didn't watch it myself, so dunno if it's another masterpiece. :( However, Fox Crime usually reruns already aired shows (that's how I caught This Is Not My Life, a sci-fi masterpiece from NZ, the inventor of IPTV should receive a Nobel prize as this series can't be watched or bought on DVD anymore and anywhere at all, not even in NZ!), so I'll try to not miss it next time. Also AXN tends to air anything that smells promising (caught El Internado Laguna Negra there, was pretty impressed by procedural Unforgettable too, but sometimes they risk too much as they also bought/brought the cretinous series Sanctuary) so that's also a channel to keep an eye on.

Just as a reminder in case someone doesn't want to bother with posts above…
If you get a chance to watch Engrenages, or see it somewhere with the title in english: Spiral, leave everything aside, do watch it.

EDIT:
First 3 seasons of Engrenages (Spiral) are available on Netflix (french audio, eng. subtitles) so there. Season 4 is not available yet, but should be soon as it'll be broadcasted in UK next month on BBC.

Last edited:
is there no one here brave enough to admit to watching Downton Abbey?

Sorry, but I don't see it as a flaw. IMO it's a great feature and it's a shame TNG didn't have such character.

this is sarcasm right? also, this isn't exactly original and I wonder why this is pointed out so much- a lot of series had a girlfriend of the week - knight rider, the rockford files, etc. ironically, it was leonard nimoy that was most popular among female fans.

It's not sarcasm.
Girl of the week, knight rider… Man… What are you talking about?
Kirk kissing Uhura is something you couldn't see anywhere else. I bet if KKK was still organised like 100 of years ago, Shatner would burn at a stake. Or cross.

well, if you hadn't noticed Picard and Riker always had some new interest. Deanna occasionally got one (one did horribly psychic things to her - twice!) and even Dr Crusher dated a ghost or a trill or two (Wesley didn't get a girl till he left the series).

Yep, I see its a common trope

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GirlOfTheWeek

btw, ICYDK Kirk kissing Uhura never actually aired until the show was in reruns.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXQFtjRG_jE

yep, and I still see no one is brave enough to admit to watching Downton Abbey..or the Good Wife.

also, the NHL is back on! Unfortunately, I'm being dragged out to a Family Game Night while the Canucks are scheduled to play.

DDO has a quest giver called "Mistress Ahura". (For DDO players : She's in the Harbour, next to the Drow Elder.)

I can't admit anything on Downton Abbey or the Good Wife - as I'm not watching those, seriously.

I don't have enough time to watch everything. And although I'm able to record shows that air on IPTV channels and watch them later, I simply can't make enough time for them all, because of that I'm always trying to grab only unique and superb shows.

Also I usually check everything outside of Hollywood first as Holywood series tend to be prematurely cancelled or left with a huge cliffhanger. The problem with Holywood series is that not every show left open was ended with a movie like Firefly (Serenity), SG1 (Continuum, The Ark of Truth) or Farscape (The Peacekeeper Wars).
I can't describe the level of my rage when a TV station here aired never finished Threshold which got me hooked and when I learned later it's cancelled. Now the same station is airing The Event series. I'm not watching it - according to imdb and wiki, it got cancelled without a proper ending and I simply don't want to watch something like that.

I can't admit anything on Downton Abbey or the Good Wife - as I'm not watching those, seriously.

I don't have enough time to watch everything. And although I'm able to record shows that air on IPTV channels and watch them later, I simply can't make enough time for them all, because of that I'm always trying to grab only unique and superb shows.

Also I usually check everything outside of Hollywood first as Holywood series tend to be prematurely cancelled or left with a huge cliffhanger. The problem with Holywood series is that not every show left open was ended with a movie like Firefly (Serenity), SG1 (Continuum, The Ark of Truth) or Farscape (The Peacekeeper Wars).
I can't describe the level of my rage when a TV station here aired never finished Threshold which got me hooked and when I learned later it's cancelled. Now the same station is airing The Event series. I'm not watching it - according to imdb and wiki, it got cancelled without a proper ending and I simply don't want to watch something like that.

the Event ended itself as well as it could. In spite of a good cast there was a reason it got cancelled. It ranked in quality somewhere between Flashforward and Revolution.

Back
Top Bottom