The TV Series discussion thread

I find it very plausible, because when you have someone who is damaged and vulnerable, which I think she has portrayed, when they have to be strong, they often confuse strength with brutality.

So approximately 1 in 30 viewers don't like how Season 8 turned out. The horror! :)

I agree some parts felt rushed, but I was expecting that. I think HBO's decision to shorten the final two seasons the way they did was their first and primary mistake.

I don't get the people who are upset about Daenerys though. You'd have to be blind to not see that was a strong possibility.

I find it very plausible, because when you have someone who is damaged and vulnerable, which I think she has portrayed, when they have to be strong, they often confuse strength with brutality.

I'm not sure if that was their angle though. I could be wrong, but I thought the gist was that the Targaryens are predisposed to mental illness due to generations of inbreeding, hence the Mad King, etc.

I'm not sure if that was their angle though. I could be wrong, but I thought the gist was that the Targaryens are predisposed to mental illness due to years of inbreeding, hence the Mad King, etc.

Sure, that might well be their thinking. I'm just saying I think it works, just as a human study of that character, even without that history.

From what I could see in the various posts/videos/articles, most people don't really complain about last episode's major plot points, but about how the characters got there.

For example, many people are perfectly fine with Dany turning into a Twisted Firestarter (after all, the signs were always there), but they also feel that her transition from someone who burns her enemies into a total nutcase who burns women and children indiscriminately felt totally rushed and thus implausible.
Half a million people demand a remake of season 8. Lol.
At the rate it is currently going, it's probably gonna end up at a million or more. Of course the petition won't make any difference whatsoever, except maybe slightly tarnishing the reputation of the writers.

And didn't HBO offer the writers a full 10 episodes in both season 7 and 8 but they refused the offer? Sounds like a bad decision in retrospect.

I get Daenerys going medieval, and just letting the cheese slide entirely off the cracker. It's been alluded to since the beginning, when a Targaryen is born, the gods roll the dice. Has her die been in the air for twenty some odd years, though? When those bells start to ring, I could have seen her fully attacking the Red Keep...but instead she went for the civilians?

So what happens to her now, Jon gets to walk up close and stab her to death? That was heavily foreshadowed in the novels, but I don't think it's nearly as relevant on the telly show. I also don't think Dany is done, I'm pretty certain Tyrion is going to pay quite the price for his betrayal. I always did like the possibility that Tywin wasn't his father, that it was actually the Mad King, but I seriously doubt that's going to happen in the last episode.

The writer's wanted to move on with their careers to bigger salaries and more fame. So yeah, they screwed the pooch by shortening the last couple seasons.

If you feel strongly about the rushed butchering, make sure to vocally boycott anything else these guys do.

I'm not that up in arms, personally. A bit disappointed in how rushed it was, but not enough to scream bloody murder.

(...) I think HBO's decision to shorten the final two seasons the way they did was their first and primary mistake.

I did read somewhere that was Benioff and Weiss' decision to shorten both 7th and 8th seasons, not HBO's. But I do agree that was a mistake.

Whether it was the writers or the producers, HBO should have just given them whatever they wanted in order for them to do full-length 7th & 8th seasons. I think it would have been worth it.

Now they're working on this prequel series which I expect to be a flop.

How far back in time will the prequel take place?
No clue right now as three are being produced and one is ready for shooting. It's been alluded we might see how the White Walkers/NightKing was first created.

Another possible setting is the Targaryen conquest of the seven kingdoms.

The prequel series is apparently going to take place thousands of years before the Andals came to Westeros. So it's not going to have anything to do with Targaryens, though perhaps that's being talked about for a different spinoff.

It's said to be about the "Age of Heroes", when the First Men and the Children of the Forest united to drive The Others north and build The Wall.

The cast is already public. The only name I'm familiar with is Naomi Watts. They started shooting the pilot episode a couple weeks ago.

"Bloodmoon" is a working title being thrown around, but Martin referred to it as "The Long Night".

Yep three new shows/prequels are planned.

Hope they do a Dance of Dragons or the Fall of Old Valyria.

If they draw from the source material, there's no reason at all why the prequel wouldn't be worth watching. What gives me pause, however, is how the final three years of the previous show played out. Now this time around, they won't have the possibility of the source material drying up, as it's all there and waiting for them. However, no matter how great the original material can be on any subject, hack writers can completely miss the target for any number of reasons.

The time of the First Men and the Children of the Forest should be an entertaining thing to watch unfold, but I have all sorts of concerns about any future projects that might have people from the current show attached. They've proven themselves to be totally inept, and some of that fault also falls squarely on HBO.

I'm definitely up for a prequel, as I think the world has loads of potential. HBO has a pretty impressive batting average will the quality of their big shows, and I see no reason why it couldn't be really good. I'm sure they can find some strong writers for a new epic. I think the GoT guys were superb producers, but not necessarily great writers, so I'd be quite keen to see what some other HBO talent could do.

HBO has proven to be pretty smart in the past, and I cannot recall a single series for them that crashed and burned like this one has. It hasn't full hit yet because I'm sure many haven't watched the entire final series as of yet, but this is going to seriously cut into any and all future sales that HBO might have been counting on, no one is going to want to re-watch this trainwreck of a show. I'm fairly certain that DVD sales gave HBO much money in the past, but I sure don't see that happening with this show. There are, however, people that are gluttons for punishment, and those that do sit and review all of the seasons are likely to create such a ruckus over the next few months that any future projects that might draw from the same or similar material might find themselves covered with the stench.

I hate to break it to you, but viewership has actually increased for GoT with each successive season, and Season 8 is no different. Even though a portion of the fanbase was unhappy about certain elements, it's a far cry from any kind of crash and burn.

Back
Top Bottom