The TV Series discussion thread

Aye, I've no doubt that lots are watching, it is the finale after all, and people are curious as to how the television version will conclude. That's certainly my reason for watching it. I'm speaking more about the long-term results of the past few seasons tainting the earlier, more nuanced and superior seasons of the show. Are they watching because it's a great, coherent story that relates a fascinating tale? I think not.

The doctrine of exceptionalism has been foremost in my mind recently, when I try to think about why Dany may have done what she did in this weeks episode. I just don't recall if it was ever related in the television version, I'm suspecting it was not.

Exactly. Why would it matter if the Doctrine of Exceptionalism was mentioned? It wasn't necessary. The Targaryen's penchant for incest and madness was alluded to multiple times over the course of the show.

You can't expect them to include every piece of background lore from the novels.

Well based on the lore most Targaryen's are a coin toss.
Every time a new Targaryen is born, he said, the gods toss the coin in the air and the world holds its breath to see how it will land.
Notice I say most as some went crazy later on in life. That doesn't mean every ruler of the dynasty was a lunatic. Just like most Emperors & Kings you have a mixed bag.

A couple of us were chatting last night about the books and show, and I put forth a belief of mine that "fire and blood' were never meant as a threat, but more of a promise, a way of life/existence for the Targaryens. Taken alone or combined with the doctrine, it could go a long way in explaining why King's Landing had to burn, at least on the show.

Two of the dragons got a major time-out a few series ago for torching one kid, Drogon is in serious trouble!!

To be honest, I find this season and the last few disappointing not so much because of the character arcs themselves, but how the show went from a political intrigue kind of show about characters to 3 hours of battles...

Season 1 was all about the characters, it wasn't about full'scale wars or anything like that.
All that seems to have been lost. I'm not even sure when this happened anymore.

Yeah, that's a huge part of the problem for me as well. Foreshadowing doesn't equal character or plot development, not without the proper steps in between. Either way, we'll all see how it wraps up tonight.

I'm watching The Prisoner at the moment. Seems relevant to our times somehow despite being made in the 1960s. Its very much about societal control vs individualism with some interesting and thought provoking ideas thrown into the mix. I won't mention specific's because I think you guys should check it out yourselves.

I'm watching The Prisoner at the moment..

last month in preparation for The Prisoner I tried watching a few episodes of Secret Agent (AKA Danger Man in Great Britain) just to hear the fantastic theme song (Secret Agent Man) but instead heard that 60s harpsicord theme. Wiki says that the Johnny Rivers song was only for US markets and apparently Amazon Prime has the Great Britain version.

sigh, there's always the internet . . .

BTW, Secret Agent did not hold up well.

With a few exceptions, I thought it was a good finale.

The passage of time after Jon killed Daenerys. What was with the 2 week jump? I know they were on a budget but geez…

I really wanted to see Grey Worm get what was coming to him. I never liked him to begin with, and they made him into a petty murderer the last couple of episodes. Of course HBO was probably afraid the SJWs would burn down their offices if they dared to kill off another person of color. :rolleyes:

Bronn a member of the Small Council? Really?

Bran becoming king was a nice surprise that I don't think many people saw coming. I'm pretty sure most of us expected it to be Jon or Sansa in the end. I liked it.

Some people are born to sit on a throne. And some of them even deserve it by giving it a lot of practice, sitting on a chair while being crippled.
That is the final message of this massive cultural phenomenom. Meritocracy all the way up.

George R.R. Martin confirmed this week that three Game of Thrones spin-offs are still in the works for HBO. He shared details about the prequel but HBO had no comment

Looking forward to the spin off casts. The woke crowd is able to explain that the poor ending of the main series come from the cast choice in the spin offs.

My thoughts on this series of Throne episodes is well known here, so I'll just say the finale met all those expectations.

Huge spoiler!!!

I think the walk Tyrion takes to his siblings is close to fifteen minutes in length.

Would have liked to hear even a little bit of dialogue with Jon at the very end, but otherwise I was happy with the ending.

I correctly guessed Dani’s fate and it was still heartbreaking to see it. Which was good enough for me. I found the council a bit lame though

Season eight was a huge disappointment. :(

Good job ruining the series HBO.

Now excuse while I go read better fanfiction.

That's all I have to say.

Speak for yourself. Most of us enjoyed it just fine. :)

It wasn't perfect, but it was still far better than the majority of what's on television these days.

Back
Top Bottom