The TV Series discussion thread

Only took eleven years but one of my favorite comic books called Y: The Last Man was made into a tv show. It was supposed to made into a movie but that was scrapped.

Looks like a very sexist series
Whelp you were correct the show was cancelled after one season. Reasons being the show's not to good, and ruined the comic books. Also female viewers didn't like it.

The producer is looking for another network. Netflix will probably pick it up.:biggrin:

Just a note to say I have been watching the Foundation series. The last time I watched TV was for Game of Thrones.

I, too, love Asimov's books, and was hoping it would translate to the video screen.

However, I had forgotten (from my reading over 35 years ago) that the books are almost pure intellectual dialog, talking about things that have happened or will happen, and discussing theories. Almost zero character development.

While great to read, could you imagine such a thing exactly transcribed for the screen? Would not work (or be extremely boring and an under utilization of the media).

So I understand some of the large departures from the novels taken by the series writers. Thankfully, the high level plot and story themes are being followed so far.

Enjoying it. It's a visual spectacle, and in some ways agrees with my imagination. But it's much more actiony than the books.

However, I could do without the gratuitous love scenes and violence.

There were no romances in the books.

I finished Katla and liked it. It was very well done, the acting was good and the story was well told. I watched it because Pibbur mentioned the show and he was right :)
It's made in Iceland and takes place there as well, where people who should not exist anymore start to appear during the outburst of the Katla vulcano. This causes quite some disruption and you are left wondering why they are there until the very last two episodes.
One of the better Netflix shows.

I watched Glitch on Netflix.
It's about some people who come back to life in a graveyard from different time periods and try to understand why. There's some intrigue and oddities.

It is not bad, but it isn't good. I just really like a couple of characters but they're not enough to carry it for me.

Not recommended unless you really like the genre.

I stopped halfway through season 2.

I finished Katla and liked it. It was very well done, the acting was good and the story was well told. I watched it because Pibbur mentioned the show and he was right :)
It's made in Iceland and takes place there as well, where people who should not exist anymore start to appear during the outburst of the Katla vulcano. This causes quite some disruption and you are left wondering why they are there until the very last two episodes.
One of the better Netflix shows.

There's also the language, although a Norwegian may get more out of it, since Icelandic is related to Norwegian,, especially old Norwegian. I could understand many words, more than I expected.

I only got a couple of words which bear a resemblance to the bit of Norwegian I do know. Not enough to even come close to understand what they were saying without subtitles.

Not sure where I heard about it, but I started watching Midnight Mass. I'm 2 episodes in. It's pretty interesting, but it's also very slow. I also hope it manages to stand out with regards to explaining what is going on. And wonder if all the personal drama of the characters will be tied to the main thread of the story. We'll see.

Ok, on episode 4 of Midnight Mass and it turned really good really fast.

I liked it quite a bit. A thought provoking and original take on an oft visited theme.

After I finished it, I was particularly interested in reviews of the series by religious websites. If you come across any good ones, let me know.

I was also told it's one to watch.

Currently on Squid Game. I'm a bit mixed on it. It has some strong elements, but I can't help think it could have been improved by leaving about half of it on the cutting room floor. But haven't finished yet.

Currently on Squid Game. I'm a bit mixed on it. It has some strong elements, but I can't help think it could have been improved by leaving about half of it on the cutting room floor. But haven't finished yet.

I thought it was pretty tight. There weren't a lot of scenes that seemed superfluous to me.

I thought it was pretty tight. There weren't a lot of scenes that seemed superfluous to me.

I need to finish it yet. But my feeling half way through is that the character background stuff is not superfluous, but could have been compressed. I feel like the amount of time spent on that stuff sort of pulls against the tension of the Squid Game situation itself. I feel like it would be better with a tighter focus. I think a scenario like this needs just enough character stuff to make you understand and relate to the characters, so the threat is meaningful.

Movies are obviously a different form, but my benchmark for that sort of thing is Aliens - it spends the perfect amount of time introducing the characters and setting the scene, and then gets down to business in way that develops those characters.

Last edited:
I was re-watching Yes Dear a show from 2006 and I still love it. Much better then most modern day TV shows. Think I'll re-watch another old show called Mike and Molly next.

The only TV shows I can stand to re-watch are the Yes Minister/Prime Minister series which never grow old and they're still as relevant today concerning how gov'ts work as they were back when they were first released.

The only TV shows I can stand to re-watch are the Yes Minister/Prime Minister series which never grow old and they're still as relevant today concerning how gov'ts work as they were back when they were first released.

Lol, yeah. Even Thatcher said, "Yep - that's pretty much how that works."

I find myself rewatching old shows often, similar to how I feel about reading books: I'd rather re-read something I know I'll enjoy, rather than taking a chance, at least some of the time. Shows like Fringe, Twin Peaks, Prime Suspect, the Wire, Leftovers, yeah there are quite a few I'd easily watch again. Heck, and when I want a comedy, MASH still hits me square in the funnies.

Locke & Key S2 just hit Netflix. Surpise!

The BBC documentary Restoring the Earth: The Age of Nature was very good. I think it's important to get away from doomer apathy, and see that things could be repaired - if we could just stop being such a silly species.

Yeah, things could actually swing back, if we'd smarten up as a species. And, of course, failing that, Gaia will take care of things in her own time, and if we annoy her enough, one of those things might be.....us.

Back
Top Bottom