The TV Series discussion thread

There's apparently a nearly-done deal to produce a Mass Effect series. That's original. ;)

I think that's one that could make for a good TV series if done right. The lore is deep enough. It would need one hell of a budget though if they're going to include even half of all those different races.

I was feeling a slight need for a bit of comedic uplifting, so last evening I checked out a show called Loudermilk. It's a tad crude and the lead bloke looks like he's in need of a perpetual shower, yet so far it is amusing so I'll likely watch a few more episodes. The anonymous sessions are by far the most entertaining parts of the show to date, at least for me.

Anyone tried Hellbound? I read it's the latest Korean hit. It seems like Korea is having an era something like the 80s. A really lively pop culture that the whole world seems to connect with.

Anyone tried Hellbound? I read it's the latest Korean hit. It seems like Korea is having an era something like the 80s. A really lively pop culture that the whole world seems to connect with.
I haven't seen it, but I'm definitely going to. The series' director/co-writer also did Train to Busan, which I really liked.

Yes, I enjoyed the Coen's remake of True Grit well enough, even though I'd seen the original not too many months previously.

It's main drawback is that it's pretty much a shot-for-shot remake with very little different, but it's made so well that, objectively, there's not much between them in quality in the long term view of someone choosing to watch one over the other in 10 years time.

Whichever is seen first will provide for a good viewing experience.

I haven't seen it, but I'm definitely going to. The series' director/co-writer also did Train to Busan, which I really liked.

That's a good start. I thought Train to Busan was excellent, and I don't really like zombie movies much.

Yeah Lackblogger, I'm pretty sure that's my issue with the remake as well. I think I was expecting the Coens to take a different approach, and to see the film replicated almost shot for shot isn't what I thought would happen. It's good, yet I believe it could have been so much better, and they should do the sequel as well, just this time I'd appreciate their own bent on it.

Anyone tried Hellbound?
No and I plan to skippit.
Unless someone of you says it is not what I think it is. :)
I have plenty of not yet watched korean shows anyway on Viki.

I watched the first two episodes and part of the third of Hellbound, and I don't see where the hype is coming from. So far, it's just CGI monsters and a lot of horrible acting.

I think the popularity of Squid Game might be having an effect here. Maybe people saw "Korean" and thought this would be as good.

We watched Kastanjemanden and we both liked it. In the mood for more Scandinavian crime, we started with Brot. Maybe it is called The Valhalla Murders in some areas of the world. It starts out well enough, but then the female lead starts to do some really weird stuff, which is quite unbelievable for the role she plays and that kills the show somewhat.

...Hellbound...and a lot of horrible acting.

Well, since it as I unserstand it is a horror series...

pibbur who admits this was a rather lame pun, but on OTOH, there are a lot of bad horror movies/series

PS. I probably won't watch it, since there are far mor series/movies I'd definitely like to watch than I'll be able to watch.

We watched Kastanjemanden and we both liked it. In the mood for more Scandinavian crime, we started with Brot. Maybe it is called The Valhalla Murders in some areas of the world. It starts out well enough, but then the female lead starts to do some really weird stuff, which is quite unbelievable for the role she plays and that kills the show somewhat.

I was going to arrest you for including Iceland in Scandinavia (Norway,. Sweden, Denmark), but it turns out that an extended version of the concept includes Iceland.

If you're looking for more Scandinavian+ series, I would recommend Trapped and Beforeigners.

I would also recommend the Swedish series "Jordskott", but I don't know where you can get it from.

pibbur

I was going to arrest you for including Iceland in Scandinavia (Norway,. Sweden, Denmark), but it turns out that an extended version of the concept includes Iceland
I'm glad it does :)

If you're looking for more Scandinavian+ series, I would recommend Trapped and Beforeigners.

I would also recommend the Swedish series "Jordskott", but I don't know where you can get it from.
We saw Trapped and it was quite good. The first season more than the second. Don't know about the others, but will check them out. Thanks for the tips.

pibbur
I watched that recently, and yes, it was excellent. (Alas, I had to get it from… umm… unofficial sources)

I notice that Trapped is on Netflix, so I see that in my near future. Thanks for the rec!

I'm enjoying Wheel of Time quite a bit. First episode was pretty good but got rushed hard right at the end. The second seemed rushed all around so it's my least favorite episode. The third lowered the rush factor but was a bit on the dull side until the last few scenes. Fourth episode was quite good! They got time to get much deeper into the characters and took a nice dive into Tinker culture, which bodes well for the future. One of the fun things about the books for me was the way Jordan explored the cultures of his world and how they interacted.

The bit about Egwene possibly being The Dragon was a good move, IMHO, and an improvement over what's in the books. The previous Dragon was a man, but I don't see how that means the next couldn't be a woman. If there was any mention of who the Dragon was in the 1st age, I sure don't remember it. It's all coming from the One Power, so I don't see much reason why it should stick to one gender.

I also started watching The Expanse. I've been reading the books, too, and am up to book 6 now. The show is acting as a nice refresher of what has gone before and knowing what's coming makes a few of the references a little more interesting. I still find Miller's story to be pretty dull. Until he got to Eros, his parts were not so fun in the books, too, so I'm hoping that picks up.

Oh man, I thought Miller's threads in the books were quite good, myself. Fortunately they got a decent bloke to play the guy in the telly series, actually I think that casting was the best of the bunch. How Miller's tale connects to so many other people is rather important, some of them are minor players, others not so much.

The third [Wheel of Time episode] lowered the rush factor but was a bit on the dull side until the last few scenes. Fourth episode was quite good!

I stalled out partway through the third episode, so that's good to hear. Maybe I'll pick it up again later tonight.

The bit about Egwene possibly being The Dragon was a good move, IMHO, and an improvement over what's in the books.
I actually disagree with this. A key part of the Dragon's nature as a character is his growing insanity, which is the mechanism that makes others fear he will break the world again. And his insanity is driven by the taint on the male half of the One Power, which is inherently gender-linked as a foundational element of Jordan's world-building. A reincarnation of the Dragon who did not face the danger of taint-driven madness would be a fundamentally different life thread and wouldn't fit into the cyclical pattern the Wheel is weaving.

I see this, along with the shift from three to four ta'veren, as a misguided attempt to make Egwene's character more special. She doesn't need it. She's a spectacular character as-is, all the more impressive because her achievements aren't done with the wind of Destiny at her back.

I also started watching The Expanse. I've been reading the books, too, and am up to book 6 now. The show is acting as a nice refresher of what has gone before and knowing what's coming makes a few of the references a little more interesting. I still find Miller's story to be pretty dull. Until he got to Eros, his parts were not so fun in the books, too, so I'm hoping that picks up.

I need to get back into that, both the show and the books. I'm kind of waiting for the final book to come out before I jump back in, though.

I need to get back into that, both the show and the books. I'm kind of waiting for the final book to come out before I jump back in, though.

I quite liked the TV show, and the books are on my shortlist (right after I finish with the Dune ones, most likely). Is the book series reaching its end?

Back
Top Bottom