The TV Series discussion thread

Really enjoyed this show. I even think they did as good as possible with the ending personally.
Does that mean the ending is different from the book?

Just finished season 1 of The Man in the High Castle. That was actually pretty good, looking forward to the next season.

They did an awesome job! Even more so when you consider the short book it's based on (259 pages), they made up enough material for 4 seasons by extending the story, keeping it coherent and remaining true to the book.

EDIT: yes, endings are different

The Man in the High Castle was really good, quite possibly the favourite of the shows I've watched this year. Each series simply got better and better, and the finale was pretty solid. I just finished the first series of Mrs. Maisel so now I'm going back to complete the third series of Mayans, which I'd stopped at episode four some months ago, and I don't recall why.

I got back to Mr Robot last night and watched the first three episodes of Season 4. I had only seen the first episode previously. It looks like Elliot is even more screwed up than I thought.

I got back to Mr Robot last night and watched the first three episodes of Season 4. I had only seen the first episode previously. It looks like Elliot is even more screwed up than I thought.

Yeah, the 4th season really tackles the core of the problem. IMO it's not the easiest season to watch.

I watched Shadow and Bone. Another fantasy series which is entertaining but not a masterpiece in any way.

If you want some fun, certainly worth a watch.

The ending of season 1 is a bit shitty though. But most of the season is alright.

I watched that as well a while ago and it was fun enough to keep on watching it, but it is indeed far from a masterpiece.

I'm not sure though their is enough interesting material left for another season to make it worth watching it.

I watched that as well a while ago and it was fun enough to keep on watching it, but it is indeed far from a masterpiece.

I'm not sure though their is enough interesting material left for another season to make it worth watching it.
Apparently there are a few books out.

Yeah, Elliott is super messed up, you only find out just how much in the very last episodes of Mr. Robot. I usually don't care for mental devices being the centerpiece of telly/film plots, yet this one is done so well and cleverly that I quite enjoyed re-watching the series. I'd urge any one that enjoys the genre to take a peek.

I'm one episode away from completing season 4 of Better Call Saul. There's still season 5 and I saw there was a 6th planned for 2022.

I found it OK at the beginning but it's growing on me. I like it even more for showing slices of other lives like Ehrmantraut's and Varga's, for the sake of variety.

Absolutely, that's one of the strengths of the stellar showed called Better Call Saul. It starts off being rather focused on Jimmy, then it really broadens out and ropes you in all the way with the ensemble getting their own stories.

Yeah, the 4th season really tackles the core of the problem. IMO it's not the easiest season to watch.

I'm 6 episodes in now. I liked the first three, but I thought the fourth episode where they were lost in the woods was pretty boring.

5 & 6 were good. I'm already getting tired of Vera though.

Since it came up a few messages back in this thread, I found myself re-watching Trapped the past few nights. Ahhh, surrounded by wintery-goodness without having to actually feel it, now that's suspending disbelief! -)

Tin Star is getting way too morbid for me to enjoy, I love Roth to death yet the character he portrays seems to have no redeemable qualities whatsoever. I might take in another episode then call it quits for shows that are more entertaining to watch.

I finished Mr Robot last night.

Season 4 was ok, but I found some of the episodes underwhelming, and the finale didn't blow me away. I definitely liked Season 3 more.

Overall, it was good. I wouldn't put it in my very top tier, but I would definitely recommend it to others.

Yeah I'm not a fan of the mental issues being the end-all of Mr. Robot, and the fourth series is a tad lackluster. The entire run of the show, however, is really good and something I know I'll be re-watching again the future. I might skip a few episodes in the final series, though. =p

I loved season 4, as I'm sure I said in the past. Very heavy and impactful for the main character especially.
@JDR13;: about the ending, didn't blow you away as in you predicted it? Or the idea simply didn't jell with you? Or you didn't like the way they handled it? Personally, I loved the ending, and caught me completely by surprise.
About the ending, apparently there's some confusing for some people that have seen it, where some people seem to get the wrong idea that "it was all in Elliot's head". Where it clearly was not all in Elliot's head. It's just that 99% of the events during the series we're not seeing through the eyes of "the real Elliot". This coupled with the fact that Elliot is an unreliable narrator means there's things that didn't happened the way we're shown.

I'm not sure why some people get confused and just jump to the conclusion that it was all in Elliot's head. Maybe the strong inspirations the author took from Fight Club?

Anyway, I loved the reveal in the final 2 episodes. It's also interesting to rewatch the whole series and try to think what are the little moments where the real elliot manages to regain control, and not the mastermind. There's also some really strong hints across the series, of this, if you rewatch it knowingly.

I'm also surprised you didn't like the episode where they wander through the woods. I love those kinds of character building episodes, where we see the Elliot and Tyrell in an unusual setting.

How did you feel about the infamous episode 7? Technically it was amazingly done. Vera reached his peaks as a character in that one, and I think that's the episode that made me really appreaciate the actor and the character, whereas previously I kind of was annoyed by Vera. Rami also acted pretty convincingly, for what the situation called for. But I think what I loved even more was his first interaction with Mr. Robot after the big revelation. Really showed Elliot for the broken wreck he was.

The only issue I had with the big revelation, was the idea of it. That parental abuse is at the core of Elliot's issues. I'm sure it's a very serious and do not take it lightly. I'm sure you're pretty much fucked for the rest of your life, if you suffer something like that. But just the fact that it seems like it's such an overused narrative trope. Or maybe I've just seen it a bunch of times and have gotten tired of it. But technically, and the way it was scripted and acted was pretty top notch.

I loved season 4, as I'm sure I said in the past. Very heavy and impactful for the main character especially.
@JDR13;: about the ending, didn't blow you away as in you predicted it? Or the idea simply didn't jell with you? Or you didn't like the way they handled it? Personally, I loved the ending, and caught me completely by surprise.
About the ending, apparently there's some confusing for some people that have seen it, where some people seem to get the wrong idea that "it was all in Elliot's head". Where it clearly was not all in Elliot's head. It's just that 99% of the events during the series we're not seeing through the eyes of "the real Elliot". This coupled with the fact that Elliot is an unreliable narrator means there's things that didn't happened the way we're shown.

I'm not sure why some people get confused and just jump to the conclusion that it was all in Elliot's head. Maybe the strong inspirations the author took from Fight Club?

Anyway, I loved the reveal in the final 2 episodes. It's also interesting to rewatch the whole series and try to think what are the little moments where the real elliot manages to regain control, and not the mastermind. There's also some really strong hints across the series, of this, if you rewatch it knowingly.

There wasn't anything confusing about it. I just wasn't overly impressed with the last 2 episodes being all about that. I would liked to have seen some more exposition regarding Whiterose and her machine.

I'm also surprised you didn't like the episode where they wander through the woods. I love those kinds of character building episodes, where we see the Elliot and Tyrell in an unusual setting.

How did you feel about the infamous episode 7? Technically it was amazingly done. Vera reached his peaks as a character in that one, and I think that's the episode that made me really appreaciate the actor and the character, whereas previously I kind of was annoyed by Vera. Rami also acted pretty convincingly, for what the situation called for. But I think what I loved even more was his first interaction with Mr. Robot after the big revelation. Really showed Elliot for the broken wreck he was.

The only issue I had with the big revelation, was the idea of it. That parental abuse is at the core of Elliot's issues. I'm sure it's a very serious and do not take it lightly. I'm sure you're pretty much fucked for the rest of your life, if you suffer something like that. But just the fact that it seems like it's such an overused narrative trope. Or maybe I've just seen it a bunch of times and have gotten tired of it. But technically, and the way it was scripted and acted was pretty top notch.

Yeah, that one just didn't do much for me. Also,
I was a little disappointed that they never revealed exactly what became of Tyrell Wellick. After that episode ended like that, I thought he would pop back up again at some point or that they would at least mention a body being found, but nothing.

It wasn't nearly as bad as episode 10 though. The one that was all about Darlene and Dominique going to the airport. That one was fucking terrible.

It wasn't nearly as bad as episode 10 though. The one that was all about Darlene and Dominique going to the airport. That one was fucking terrible.

Yeah, I have no idea what they were thinking with those Darlene/Dominique scenes. Dominique was already probably my least favorite character. But 95% of the airport scene felt just like filling time. And the cringe pop music they used at a certain point. The only good moments were seeing Irving again, for a short chat, and Leon.

That episode should've been heavily edited and all of those scenes probably removed or replaced with something better.

It's very jarring, that episode, as I think it's the only one I really have a serious issue with. It's very jarring to have that in a sea of mostly excellent episodes.

Back
Top Bottom