The TV Series discussion thread

Finished Witcher S2. Liked serial episodes, disliked lack of naked ladies. If Geralt isn't shagging every sorceress he sees, he isn't the Witcher I played. He even says no to Triss!!

Finished Witcher S2. Liked serial episodes, disliked lack of naked ladies. If Geralt isn't shagging every sorceress he sees, he isn't the Witcher I played. He even says no to Triss!!

But there was a prank on him if he did, in the game. Maybe he didn't want to go through that again in the series ;)

Last night I was flailing about, looking for a show with maybe a bit of comedy and culture, wound up stumbling upon Freaks and Geeks, polished off the first two episodes without even noticing the passage of time! As someone that was in high school during the time this show takes place, they get a lot right, especially with the casting. Hardly anyone looks like a model, most everyone literally looks like they could have walked the high school halls in 1980, I guess the only complaint is a few obviously appear a few years older than they should, yet I'm not sure how you would you do that without fail. All in all, just as much fun viewing last night as the twenty-plus years ago when it first aired.

A Discovery of Witches Season 3 is now out and so far (2 episodes) just as good as the previous 2 series. Really well done!!

My wife likes it - sentimental as much as anything. If she can deal with Boba Fest and Letterkenny I can stomach this one :D

You're doomed now. :) I just saw a Dan Savage tweet that it was renewed for season 3 AND 4. He says that "hate watching has consequences", so there must be a lot of people watching it just to complain about it.

I jumped into the second series of Mrs. Maisel last night, it's off to a great start. Sometime this month or next I should fully complete my re-watch of the Americans, which I started exactly a year ago this month. I see the Golden Palace show is now available online, I've never watched that spin-off so I'll likely check out an episode or two of that, just to see if it captures the magic of the main series.

You're doomed now. :) I just saw a Dan Savage tweet that it was renewed for season 3 AND 4. He says that "hate watching has consequences", so there must be a lot of people watching it just to complain about it.

“Hate watching has consequences” is a great line … I still can’t believe it got award nominations …

I finished season 2 of The Witcher. It was good overall, but I would have preferred they had stuck closer to canon events. Some of the things they added didn't do anything to elevate the story imo. The last episode in particular really went off the rails.

The writers at CDPR are a lot better than the writers of the show.

I found an interesting new series I want to try, since season 2 of it just got released, and season 3 was greenlit. It entered my radar because I like John Goodman. It's called Righteous Gemstones and it's fascinating.

righteous-gemstones2.jpg

These lelevangelists are a particularly scummy bunch, and I think a show about their exploits could be interesting.

I found an interesting new series I want to try, since season 2 of it just got released, and season 3 was greenlit. It entered my radar because I like John Goodman. It's called Righteous Gemstones and it's fascinating.

John Goodman and Danny McBride? I already know it's good. :)

I saw Righteous Gemstones a while back and enjoyed it. Not as much as some of Goodman's other offerings, such as Treme, yet it's decent. I've not watched the second series as of yet, only the first.

Still no comments on Discovery of Witches??? Has no-one else watched this brilliant series???? Season 2 was outstanding IMHO!!

Nope, it is on my to watch list though. However that list is lengthy.

At the moment I am watching the Flemish show "De bende van Jan de Lichte". In English it is called The Flemish Bandits and it is on Netflix. It is about Jan de Lichte, someone who really existed in the 1700's in Belgium. The series shows a more heroic vision of the bandit and murderer Jan really was (according to Wikipedia). It took some time to get into, but I'm quite enjoying it now and it is in a language close to my own, which is fun for a change.

I have just finished season 1 of Snow Sword Stride - highly recommended.

I tried watching the first series of Discovery of Witches and decided it wasn't for me. I just recall an awful amount of whinging, something I can only take so much of in a film or telly show. None at all is best!

Last night I checked out the first episode of the second series for All Creatures Great and Small. Of course the classic version are still worth watching, yet the cast and subject matter of this newest iteration are pretty darn watchable! Masterpiece Theatre never disappoints, save when they mess with the original music. -p

I finished season 2 of The Witcher. It was good overall, but I would have preferred they had stuck closer to canon events. Some of the things they added didn't do anything to elevate the story imo. The last episode in particular really went off the rails.

The writers at CDPR are a lot better than the writers of the show.

I couldn't agree more. I really liked S1 (so much so I probably watched it 3 times at this point) and thought they did an awesome job translating that first book of short stories into a series, but man, I can't help feeling a little disappointed with S2 and the deviations from the original story (for no obvious benefit imho, as you say).

I mean,
what's with those monoliths that spew monsters from other planes? Not sure why that is necessary.
And what's with Geralt turning Triss down? That's bollocks.

On the other hand, I think creature and world design is top notch, and I think Cavill is an excellent Geralt.

I couldn't agree more. I really liked S1 (so much so I probably watched it 3 times at this point) and thought they did an awesome job translating that first book of short stories into a series, but man, I can't help feeling a little disappointed with S2 and the deviations from the original story (for no obvious benefit imho, as you say).

I mean,
what's with those monoliths that spew monsters from other planes? Not sure why that is necessary.
And what's with Geralt turning Triss down? That's bollocks.

That, and
I thought the primary antagonist was sort of lame. She was obviously inspired by the Crones from TW3, but she felt like a cheap imitation imo.

On the other hand, I think creature and world design is top notch, and I think Cavill is an excellent Geralt.

I couldn't imagine anyone else playing Geralt at this point.

It's often a mystery to me why they change the story, but we see that in all series. It's really as if the story writer for the TV show felt compelled to bring something original. So my conclusion is that it's how it's done in that business.

A few news websites wrote that Henry Cavill would remain as Geralt in the 3rd season, another one menrioned Matt Bomer with words like "rumours" and no source. It's all just speculation so far, obviously.

Back
Top Bottom