The TV Series discussion thread

I wouldn't want The Expanse to be "saved" by a movie trilogy. I much prefer the long form storytelling of a television series to be the medium for this story.

I've started watching Merlin (2008 series by Capps / Jones / Michie), I'm in the middle of the 3rd episode.

I saw it had many positive reviews but I find it naive and childish, I'm not sure I'll continue. I don't understand why it gets such enthusiasm.

Reacher

Finished the 8 episode series last night. Thoroughly enjoyed watching it. Plenty of action with a "good vs evil" slant but noticed the innocent getting caught (collateral damage). Having said that there is also a mystery that gets unwrapped - lots of twists and turns but the clues are given during the episodes. There is also friendship and romance. Flashbacks to Reacher's early teen years. So not just a beat them up show. Will watch again.

On the tall thing. I recall a scene were one of the people says something to Reacher about being 6'5" but he corrects them and says something about being 6'2". Alan Ritchson is 6'2". So cast is probably not taller than average.

[Bruce McGill is also a cast member - part of the "Rizzoli & Isles" team along with Kristin Kreuk from "Beauty & the Beast".]

Merlin

I've started watching Merlin (2008 series by Capps / Jones / Michie), I'm in the middle of the 3rd episode.

I saw it had many positive reviews but I find it naive and childish, I'm not sure I'll continue. I don't understand why it gets such enthusiasm.

I suppose it depends on what you were expecting. This version of Merlin is not that of the Dark Ages genre. My own view is that it got better over time as the characters bedded down and relationships were created and broken. It was also scripted to be in the Dr Who mould. Something you could watch with your kids without worrying whether something nasty/ real would happen.

If you are unhappy with the 1st series jump to the 2nd or 3rd and see how that holds up (or even the 5th).

Do you think that Uther's stance on magic is a reflection of the perception of discrimination nowadays? Or am I reading too much in to it?

Do you think that Uther's stance on magic is a reflection of the perception of discrimination nowadays? Or am I reading too much in to it?
It seems to illustrate a typical reaction from someone who is afraid to lose control because of something they don't understand enough. So rather than finding the common ground they just ban it.

So as I see it, that depends how you mean exactly. If you mean that he's like people who discriminate, I can see the similarity. If you mean the current trend to react negatively to discrimination, I would say it's rather Merlin's stance that reflects it.

I could give it a chance. Yes, it does feel like a series I could enjoy watching with the family but not on my own, I'm expecting characters to be less manichean and plots to be less obvious. Maybe it's just the beginning. :)

Yeah, in the novel version I think the author reminds us every second page or so that Reacher is 6'5" in height, with a massive build for a person that size. As in muscular, not wasted body fat. So I guess I was hoping the lead would measure up, though that's the only real criticism I have of the first episode. I meant to watch the second last night, yet I was distracted by a decent film, Nightmare Alley. More on that subject in the appropriate thread!

Tonight I'll really try to que up the second episode of Reacher.

Squid Game was addictive, but aimed to have an ultimately psychopathic effect on the viewer.
There were some really excellent South Korean TV Shows however that are made by a mentally healthy team and don't contain mind-poison. Heroic excellent character development, more or less positive outcomes.
These remarkable series are the following:

1. My Mister: This is the best ever made for drama lovers.
2. Mr. Queen: very nice historical comedy. Highly recommended!
3. L.U.C.A. The Beginning: for superhero show fans
4. Sisyphus: The Myth Time-travel mystery sci-fi
5. The Uncanny Counter: superhero
6. Joseon Exorcist: for dark fantasy gore lovers
Here it must be remarked, because some idiots made this otherwise excellent horror show canceled for stupid historical-opinion reasons, there is a full two-seasons dark fantasy Joseon-era EPIC horror drama titled
KINGDOM …. MustSee!!™©℗®.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6611916/episodes?season=1
7. Taxi Driver: Korean Simon Templar
8. Mad for Each Other: Romantic comedy / drama elements
9. On the Verge of Insanity: essentially The Office… korean version
10. HELLBOUND: Must see for gamers, who like gore and violence!!! (like me)
11. The Silent Sea: Excellent Sci-fi horror on the Dark Side of the Moon* (if you have seen the similar titled superb movie in the last century https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099364/?ref_=tt_sims_tt_t_3)
12. Ghost Doctor: Excellent hospital comedy / mystery
13. All of Us Are Dead : super excellent zombie drama horror!!
There were other titles, for example a nice fantasy series from the maker of the EPIC "My Mister", titled: Arthdal Chronicles
He also made the very binge-worthy "The Office"-style professionally done and superbly acted drama titled
MISAENG
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4240730/?ref_=nm_flmg_dr_4

10. HELLBOUND: Must see for gamers, who like gore and violence!!! (like me)
11. The Silent Sea: Excellent Sci-fi horror on the Dark Side of the Moon*

I watched both of those recently. I thought Hellbound was pretty bad tbh. I only watched it because I was fresh off of watching Squid Game, and Hellbound was being hyped as the next big Korean hit. The acting is horrendous, and the plot is completely nonsensical.

I thought The Silent Sea started off really interesting, but the second half was a letdown. Overall, it was very average.

I think Squid Game was lightning in a bottle as far as Korean shows go for me.

I think Squid Game was lightning in a bottle as far as Korean shows go for me.

If you haven't watched Kingdom, I do recommend giving that a try. Mercy seems to be saying it was canceled, but I can find no confirmation of that. There are two seasons and it's a pretty good period zombie infused political drama.

Late to the party as usual, I started watching Downton Abbey on Netflix a few days ago. I love the setting and charm and wonder why it took me so long to start this series.

Downton Abbey is a superb show, well, at least the first few series are. Honestly though I thought the movie was barely average, I'm hoping the next foray into that world is much better.

I did check out episode two of Reacher and this show is getting even better as it progresses. I also read it already has scored a second series, and should they simply keep plugging along converting book after book into the telly series, that should work rather nicely. I'll likely get through the remaining six episodes this month.

Watched the first 2 episodes of Season 2 of Raised by Wolves. More good sci-fi from Ridley Scott. I wish the entire season had been released at once.

I am in fourth season of Vera. A crime series set in Northumberland, Nort-East England :
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1693592/

Far from superficial characters, very good plot, every single time you are surprised the turns the story takes, and the outcome, whodunnit, remains a mystery right until the end.

Last edited:
Welcome back @Eye;

pibbuR who probably died and resurrected since last time the eye was around. And who likes the avatar (as long as it lasts).

Vera

Hi Eye,

Got to agree with you about Vera. It's a favourite in our household and we have been watching since 2011 (44 episodes so far). The stories are quality. The actor is actually 75 this year.

O, so you have been watching it since the start!
How is it broadcasted? Do they split each episode in half? My husband and I have no patience waiting to learn how an episode ends, we are watching the full 90 minutes each evening. :)
Did you have to wait two weeks each time?

75 years, O_O you would not say!

I've heard good things from several folk about Vera, I'll have to check that one out. And great to see you posting again, Eye!!~

I finished off Expanse last night, and overall, while a shorter series this time around, it was satisfying. Rather than try to pack too much into too few episodes, they did some exposition on themes that they didn't even explore in the novels, unless maybe it was done in the short stories, which I've not read yet. After what they did with Alex last series, I worried that either Mao or Draper might be thrown away this time, yet that didn't happen. In the novels it's tough being a lady in this universe, at least on the screen the women tend to fare better. I'll be very surprised if Amazon doesn't revive this show at some point, though doing book seven will be a most daunting task, imo.

Eye,
It is broadcast by ITV so they do a 2 hour run with adverts. We record it and fast-forward when we get to the adverts. Usually they do it weekly but since the pandemic the latest 6 episodes (90 mins) they sometimes spread it out e.g. the last two are being shown later this year while the first two happen in August & September 2021 followed by the middle two in January this year.

A quote from the Express

And while the 75-year-old has no plans of giving up her role, her co-star Ibinabo has addressed the actress' potential retirement.

Speaking in an exclusive interview with Express.co.uk about the possibility of Brenda leaving the show, Ibinabo admitted: "I don't want her to.

"I think Brenda's the boss so if she keeps making them, we'll keep doing them."

In another paper Vera has confirmed that they start filming in March this year. So we will get at least another series. She often complains at the end of filming and vows to never do it again thought mainly because of the weather they film in but so far she keeps coming back.

It will happen at some stage and the question will be then whether to go on without her (Morse --> Lewis) or try for a "Young(er) Vera" (Morse --> Endeavour). There is a brand here so maybe it will continue in another form. Personally I would prefer the latter.

On a tangent I notice there is a "Young Wallander" on Netflix. Need to investigate when I next decide to give them some money.

Hey, thanks for all those details, "pet"! ;) Much appreciated.

I agree with the old lady, the weather in Northumberland sucks, well, that is me judging from the view offered by the series. It seems cold and windy out there.

Great, season 12!

And I agree with you, I'd prefer a younger Vera. I love that blunt (though compassionate) 'farmer's' daughter.

Last edited:
I am in fourth season of Vera. A crime series set in Northumberland, Nort-East England :
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1693592/

Far from superficial characters, very good plot, every single time you are surprised the turns the story takes, and the outcome, whodunnit, remains a mystery right until the end.
Welcome back Eye

Back
Top Bottom