The TV Series discussion thread

I couldn't get into The Orville. I like other stuff Seth MacFarlane has done, but the humor in Orville didn't do much for me.

So there's apparently yet another Star Wars series coming this summer. I hadn't even heard of this one until today. Does Disney have a workshop full of Elves cranking these things out or something?

Andor

I couldn't get into The Orville. I like other stuff Seth MacFarlane has done, but the humor in Orville didn't do much for me.

I feel like the humour, which isn't great, got more and more sidelined. I think he just wanted to make a traditional Trek show, really. I find it quite watchable.

The humour in Orville initially put me off on the show as well, then that aspect seemed to lessen and the drama increased. At least that's how I would say it's changed over the past few series.

And just to keep things even I did watch the newest Strange New Worlds episode as well, and really didn't care for it. It's like the writers simply try to keep mining old episodes of when Star Trek was good, and attempt to put their own twist on some plots. They'd do better simply to strike off on their own and write something original, instead.

I feel like the humour, which isn't great, got more and more sidelined. I think he just wanted to make a traditional Trek show, really. I find it quite watchable.

Maybe I'll give it another shot at some point. I have a hard time imagining it as a serious sci-fi show though.

Maybe I'll give it another shot at some point. I have a hard time imagining it as a serious sci-fi show though.

Wouldn't call it serious as such - still an element of humour to the whole thing, but that's kind of more a general tone, instead of the lamer efforts that made the whole thing like a comedy sketch. It seems to me he's much more interested in the actual stories, really.

I finished the first part of Stranger Things.

I'm have mixed feelings. Overall I also think it's better than season 3, and I'm pleased with that but there are a couple of things that I didn't like.

First the bullying against 11 is out of proportion, it feels like they use it as fuel for what she has to do next, but it's ridiculous and too obvious.

And what with the side story where Jim has been captured and Joyce, Murray are looking for him? I guess there will be some last-minute event that rejoins the main plot, but it's just silly and distracting.

I finished the first part of Stranger Things.

I'm have mixed feelings. Overall I also think it's better than season 3, and I'm pleased with that but there are a couple of things that I didn't like.

First the bullying against 11 is out of proportion, it feels like they use it as fuel for what she has to do next, but it's ridiculous and too obvious.

And what with the side story where Jim has been captured and Joyce, Murray are looking for him? I guess there will be some last-minute event that rejoins the main plot, but it's just silly and distracting.

Completely agree about the Jim-Joyce-Murray thing. Tbh, the whole plotline with the Russians is really dumb. It was already silly in Season 3 with the underground base right under everyone's noses, and it's dumb here too. I especially dislike the slapstick style of humor with Murray and Yuri.

I enjoyed that last episode though. Talk about a great twist. It almost made up for how mediocre the first 6 episodes were.

What the producers should have done is had that reveal happen in the 4th or 5th episode and then split the season 4-5 or 5-4 instead of 7-2. Why make us wait more than a month for just 2 more episodes?

Completely agree about the Jim-Joyce-Murray thing. Tbh, the whole plotline with the Russians is really dumb. It was already silly in Season 3 with the underground base right under everyone's noses, and it's dumb here too. I especially dislike the slapstick style of humor with Murray and Yuri.

I enjoyed that last episode though. Talk about a great twist. It almost made up for how mediocre the first 6 episodes were.

What the producers should have done is had that reveal happen in the 4th or 5th episode and then split the season 4-5 or 5-4 instead of 7-2. Why make us wait more than a month for just 2 more episodes?

Yes, that would have been better. Though for me the first episodes were mostly fine. It's vanilla school storytelling and a slow build-up but I didn't mind, it's part of the setting even if as you say, it's definitely not the same quality as the 1st season.

I liked the episode 4 when they understand how to save Max, and what is revealed to her, that was a good dynamic. Except for the silly Russian line and how this Jason kid takes the lead of the whole town (improbable at best), that's when it really started to become interesting for me.

Well, I'm not going to open the spoilers (thanks, BTW) as I've only seen four episodes, and I'm enjoying it. There's a lot that I like, and some flaws as usual. But even if it's a little slow and meandering at points, it can get away with a lot, as I can bask in that 80s movie energy for a while. So far, I'd say it's the best since the first one. Terrific finale to episode 4.

I think that scene from Stranger Things is worth posting. It's a BIG spoiler, so don't watch unless you've seen it or aren't otherwise interested in the show. But, IMO, this how you do it.

I think that scene from Stranger Things is worth posting. It's a BIG spoiler, so don't watch unless you've seen it or aren't otherwise interested in the show. But, IMO, this how you do it.

Indeed it's nice; I hid that in a spoiler, but in a nutshell that's when I found it was becoming really interesting. I like the season and I think it's definitely worth watching despite a few things that should not have been there.

For those who haven't started yet, it's best to wait until the last two episodes are out next month.

I've been keeping up with Night Sky as well, watched up to the sixth episode now. It's hard to pin this one down, I'll have to see how it winds up, though I'm sticking around simply because I quite enjoy the two lead actors.

Holy shit, they already have 3 tv series in the star wars universe? I guess that's another thing I'm gonna skip on.

Four now if you count Andor. Yeah, it's ridiculous.

I haven't checked out Obi Wan yet, but what I've heard about it so far doesn't give me high expectations.

I haven't checked out Obi Wan yet, but what I've heard about it so far doesn't give me high expectations.

For a split second, I thought "hey, they got Ewan McGregor to play the role, that has to count for something" and then quickly remembered that all of those movies he was in were terrible and it counts for nothing.

I wouldn't mind that there was more milking than at a state fair if this Star Wars stuff was any good, but it's all so… not.

For a split second, I thought "hey, they got Ewan McGregor to play the role, that has to count for something" and then quickly remembered that all of those movies he was in were terrible and it counts for nothing.

Yeah, the prequel trilogy wasn't very good, (though it doesn't seem as bad now when you compare it to the sequel trilogy), but that's not McGregor's fault. I thought he played a pretty decent Obi Wan and was one of the few bright spots in those movies.

Still, this is Disney now...

Back
Top Bottom