The TV Series discussion thread

In hindsight, the Lucas hate seems a little ironic now. If only we knew back then what the future had in store. :)

Yeah, both Star Wars and Trek have fallen to similar horrible fates - terrible hacks handed an IP and told to fill up streaming platforms.

Strange New Worlds: Fantastic. It really is my kind of Star Trek. Wish it never stops.

Stranger Things: Thrilling. I thought it was top-notch storytelling. Almost like 7 strange movies instead of episodes. Episode 7 had feature film length.

I liked the Mandalorian. I thought it felt right for the universe except for a few crazy shooting scenes.

I've not seen any of the others.

I agree. It had a few weak episodes but overall was well worth the viewing time. I haven't seen Boba Fett nor this new Obi-wan one.

I am also enjoying Strange New Worlds. I found Discovery to be semi-okay, it had some horrendously bad episodes but it also had some great ones. SNW seems to have corrected some of the worse mistakes of Discovery so I am looking forward to see how it evolves.

I finished watching Good Omens last night, a totally fantastic show!! It hit all kinds of good vibes with me, if they do another series I'll be watching it for certain.

The humour in Orville initially put me off on the show as well, then that aspect seemed to lessen and the drama increased. At least that's how I would say it's changed over the past few series.

Just wanted to second this, I hated the first episode of The Orville, and thought the second was mediocre at best. But the third episode won me over, and it eventually became one of my favorite shows. It's better not to go in thinking of it as a comedy, it eventually does find it's comedic timing and has some very funny parts, but that's not really what it's about.

It certainly keeps some of the humour yet a few episodes in it becomes less juvenile, imo. Next to Expanse it's the best sci fi show I've watched in years, hands down.

I thought it could have used some editing yet it's still head and shoulders superior to any current Star Drek shows.

I've been watching a show called Dopesick which explores the Oxy Contin explosion of the late nineties/early 2k's. I'm a big Mike Keaton fan and he's quite good in this, yet this is a difficult show to watch, the story is just too visceral.

The Orville is not available here, so that settles it for me. I have the impression of living in a secluded zone, sometimes. ;)

I have started to watch the last season of Better Call Saul. Curious to see how it'll unfold.

I thought it could have used some editing yet it's still head and shoulders superior to any current Star Drek shows.

If they edited out the bad parts of that episode it would have been 12 minutes long, and at least one actor with a major part in the story would have been mysteriously absent.

I gave Strange New Worlds a try last night. I wasn't impressed. Does it get much better after that first episode?

It felt somewhat Hollywoodish to me. I like Anson Mount as Pike, but no one else stood out to me. I gotta say though that Rebecca Romijn still looks amazing at 49.

One thing that irks me in particular is how closely it seems to be tied to ST: Discovery. I wish it wasn't because I didn't care for Discovery and quit in the first season. They kept referencing events from that show, and of course I have no idea what they're talking about.

I gave Strange New Worlds a try last night. I wasn't impressed. Does it get much better after that first episode?
Uhm.. yeah? For me every episode so far was a step up from the one that preceded it, from good to great. There are some Discovery references (obviously, since the characters were introduced there) but generally speaking it has a very different vibe.

It felt somewhat Hollywoodish to me. I like Anson Mount as Pike, but no one else stood out to me. I gotta say though that Rebecca Romijn still looks amazing at 49.

One thing that irks me in particular is how closely it seems to be tied to ST: Discovery. I wish it wasn't because I didn't care for Discovery and quit in the first season. They kept referencing events from that show, and of course I have no idea what they're talking about.

I hated the pilot, so I would say yes, but most episodes haven't impressed me. I did like the most recent (maybe episode 5 or 6?) the most so far.

I'd say not really, JDR. Strange New Worlds might be the best current quasi-Trek on the air, yet that's not saying much.

I've also been keeping up with Mayans and man, has this show gone to the dark side. I don't see how Ezekiel, his brother and pop make it out of this show alive. And their chapter going to the mats with a SamCro club I never saw coming, plus what Ezekiel did to his former girlfriend....wow. Just wow.

No interest in using a VPN?

I'm more and more tempted. But when I try one with an US server, I don't see that show on Netflix, and I see it on Prime but it knows from my account that I'm not US citizen (using amazon.com). So perhaps I have to give a fake address, hoping that it doesn't detect the origin from the credit card number… Too much hassle for now.

It seems to work for HBO though (another show), but I'm not sure about the paying method either.

The worst is that when US/UK shows become available here, sometimes they only give the dubbed version in French or Dutch. :lol:

So much for trying to watch a show legally.

In The Netherlands they don't dub foreign shows, unless they are for kids. Although there probably are a few exceptions. Do they really go through all the hassle of dubbing a foreign show to Dutch in Belgium?

In The Netherlands they don't dub foreign shows, unless they are for kids. Although there probably are a few exceptions. Do they really go through all the hassle of dubbing a foreign show to Dutch in Belgium?

It's probably rare in Dutch, but I've seen a few cases (when they do, I suppose it's mostly for The Netherlands and Belgium can benefit from it). It's more frequent in French, for example Bohemian Rhapsody is made by UK/US but it's only available in French, with French subtitles. I tried to know if that was a mistake but Amazon replied they only had the rights for that language in Belgium (and I assume, France). I found that hard to believe.

I don't like dubbed versions when I can understand the original, they have to modify the text so that the lips don't look too off sync, and that can't be good for the translation. The actor voices are not always very good either. The other side-effect is that movies or series are available much later because it takes time to translate and to negotiate the rights (I think it's getting better these days).

Thankfully there are still enough shows and movies in the original version.

Back
Top Bottom