The TV Series discussion thread

In The Netherlands they don't dub foreign shows, unless they are for kids. Although there probably are a few exceptions. Do they really go through all the hassle of dubbing a foreign show to Dutch in Belgium?

No, they don't, only kids shows/movies. At least not on the Flemish side, I can't speak for the French side.

No, they don't, only kids shows/movies. At least not on the Flemish side, I can't speak for the French side.
French movies and shows are dubbed for France and I think Walloons just take those :)

Easy that way. The francophone population in Belgium is too small otherwise.

Last edited:
Being on the French side, when it comes to Netflix, HBO etc, you can not choose the Flemish/Dutch version, i.e. original language with subtitles?

I have an account at VRT.nu, just picked a random Flemish address.

I am able to watch Suisse Zattoo as well (lots of English, French, Spanish, Italian, German, Ukrainian, Polish, Turkish, etc etc) if I remember correctly, by just giving my cc number.
The Suisse Zattoo (do not pick the German one if you fancy English channels) offers one hour free each day. Enough for Graham Norton.
But if you'd like to watch entire series all at once, Zattoo might be worth checking out, @Redglyph;.

Last edited:
Being on the French side, when it comes to Netflix, HBO etc, you can not choose the Flemish/Dutch version, i.e. original language with subtitles?

Netflix used to behave like that at the beginning, so I had to switch my settings for some movies or series. Now it's just a language setting and there's no difference anymore. Same for Prime.

What's funny with Prime, it works by country, so anyone can have a 30-day trial on Amazon.fr, then Amazon.nl, and so on. But it still knows where you are, so even if there are more series in the catalogue, they're not available.

Thanks for the tip about Zattoo, I'll check this out! :)

Netflix used to behave like that at the beginning, so I had to switch my settings for some movies or series. Now it's just a language setting and there's no difference anymore. Same for Prime.

What's funny with Prime, it works by country, so anyone can have a 30-day trial on Amazon.fr, then Amazon.nl, and so on. But it still knows where you are, so even if there are more series in the catalogue, they're not available.

Thanks for the tip about Zattoo, I'll check this out! :)

Just say that you are a Suisse resident and start your free month, Ultimate of course. :)

@Redglyph;, now that you'll be having an Ultimate account, do watch a season of the Great British bake-off.

O, tip #2. After having tried 'Ultimate', get back to 'Free', and then try 'Premium' for free.

The reason btw Suisse offers the English channels is because there is a contract between English broadcasters and Switzerland, allowing the Swiss to offer English channels to their own residents.

At the time I looked at the possibility of a satellite dish as well, but getting Graham Norton that way was a bit too pricy. :)

Last edited:
For some reason Evil, series one is available on Prime, so I've been re-watching those episode, even though they only aired like under three years ago. I quite enjoy this show except for the children yelling and being noisy, so I fast forward through those parts!

I thought it could have used some editing yet it's still head and shoulders superior to any current Star Drek shows.

I finally got around to watching the new Orville, and I agree it wasn't bad. It had some pacing issues and I think they could have added in another plot line and sped up some other parts. But I understand why they wanted to dedicate a whole episode to Isaac, they couldn't just hand wave his reintegration into the crew after everything that happened.

I do have a real issue with the children and the doctor, especially her relationship, or whatever you want to call it, with Issac. That whole plot line needs to die fast, heck I thought they'd wrapped all that up early last series.

I watched a couple more episodes of Strange New Worlds, and it's still not grabbing me. I thought the third episode was a little better than the first 2, but the big reveal there seemed very implausible.

I'll stick with it a little longer.

I'll say this, at least Strange New Worlds is at least watchable, and that puts it way ahead of Discovery or Picard. I'm just hoping it improves and operates more like a series should in this universe.

I do have a real issue with the children and the doctor, especially her relationship, or whatever you want to call it, with Issac. That whole plot line needs to die fast, heck I thought they'd wrapped all that up early last series.

Oh god, yes. I had forgotten how much that annoyed me, and then they were right back at it in the first episode this season.

Another random thing I was reminded of: this show has a weird, almost fetishistic need to talk about alcohol and consuming large amounts of alcohol. They do it again in the first few minutes of both of this season's opening episodes.

I'm watching The Boys. It doesn't fly very high (!) but it's entertaining enough. At first I thought "oh no, another super-hero clone", but those are not very nice super-heroes, so there's a funny twist to it.

I'm up to the fourth episode of series one on my rewatch of Evil, and it's this episode that truly sets the tone for the show. When the older child of a family attempts to kill the baby of the house, the parents, after trying to get help for the lad, resort to an unusual solution. Grim and not at all amusing, it was this hour that really hooked me on this show. I shouldn't be surprised by how much I enjoy it, as I believe the people behind this one also did Good Wife and Good Fight, two great series in their own respective rights.

Uhm.. yeah? For me every episode so far was a step up from the one that preceded it, from good to great. There are some Discovery references (obviously, since the characters were introduced there) but generally speaking it has a very different vibe.

I wish I could say the same, but I've watched five episodes now, and that hasn't been my experience. I thought the 4th episode started out really well, and I was excited that it featured the Gorn because that was one of my favorite episodes in TOS, but then we never got to see any Gorn only their ships. The 5th episode, "Spock Amok", was mostly just silly.

ST: SNW is getting better for me. I had the same reaction to the 4th episode, though I do think the Gorn will return, and in the flesh. I liked the 5th episode, personally, and I thought the 6th episode was also good. If you compare 1-3 to 4-6 there's no contest. The arc of improvement is starting to feel real.

Oh god, yes. I had forgotten how much that annoyed me, and then they were right back at it in the first episode this season.

Another random thing I was reminded of: this show has a weird, almost fetishistic need to talk about alcohol and consuming large amounts of alcohol. They do it again in the first few minutes of both of this season's opening episodes.

I wonder if the booze might be a bit of an in-joke about McFarlane. I've read that he has a reputation for enjoying a wee dram.

It's definitely a very flawed show, but one thing I do like is that it shows how that format could still work perfectly well - a bit of an overarching plot, but mainly each episode is about dealing with the forehead-of-the-week situation, and talking about it in rooms.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom