The TV Series discussion thread

Maybe it's because Discovery and Picard were so bad but I am really enjoying Strange New Worlds. At the end of the first episode I was thinking optimistic Trek is back. Good characters that we actually get to know in a couple of episodes as well as we did any of the crew in multiple seasons of Discovery. Anson Mount is fantastic as Pike. The stories, while derivative, are proper Trek type of stories. It is a pity proper credit has not been given to their inspirations though. No angst or unnecessary tears. So much better than any other new Trek bar maybe Lower Decks. Trek, for me, has always been about enjoying the company of a fun group of characters as much as anything else and they are getting a lot of that right in my opinion.

I'm watching The Boys. It doesn't fly very high (!) but it's entertaining enough. At first I thought "oh no, another super-hero clone", but those are not very nice super-heroes, so there's a funny twist to it.

I like the Boys, and season 3 has been very good (although also maybe doubling down a bit too much on gore and shock value). It's not a show that takes itself super seriously though, especially early on. So you'd want to be sure you could deal with that before watching.

You only notice this now? ;)

Back in TOS they also couldn't do any better (that's why Klingons looked like humans with black beards). Starting with TNG, probably mostly a budget thing, still. Later on, probably just a Star Trek thing.

No, I've always noticed it, but it's more apparent here because 7 episodes in and they haven't even attempted a non-humanoid species yet. I would think that with the advances in makeup and FX they've made over the years that it would be easier now compared to TOS.

I actually think they did better with the older series, but that's only based on these early episodes obviously and perhaps not a completely fair comparison.

Why do you think so, JDR13?

I think they may see it as an opportunity to change the much critized end of the game of Thrones.

That would be an extremely optimistic view. :)

I'm pretty sure they see it as an opportunity to milk the IP for more money.

I like the Boys, and season 3 has been very good (although also maybe doubling down a bit too much on gore and shock value). It's not a show that takes itself super seriously though, especially early on. So you'd want to be sure you could deal with that before watching.

I like it so far, I'm in the middle of season 2. I prefer the style of Marvel's movies but it's enjoyable too, and it's a different approach than just super-heroes against super-villains.

I like it so far, I'm in the middle of season 2. I prefer the style of Marvel's movies but it's enjoyable too, and it's a different approach than just super-heroes against super-villains.

Yeah I like that, while the super powered people are mostly really bad, they aren't "super villains". They are just a bunch of regular flawed people who were given godlike powers and the worship of a society who think they can do no wrong, and that turned them into seriously messed up individuals.

I've not watched the third series of Boys yet, might start that this weekend. I did watch the finale of the current series of Mayans and, boy howdy, I knew things were going to get rough when Tig showed up. And then Ezekiel finally made his move, showing the intelligence he's displayed for most of this entire show, and I can easily believe he planned this for years. The next series should be something extraordinay!

I'm still finding The Boys very entertaining. I don't usually enjoy too much graphic violence, but this is so subversive and over-the-top, I find it more in the realm of Mr. Creosote exploding.

I just have to say, the costumes in The Boys look a tad ridiculous. It's likely on purpose, but seeing poor Annie / Starlight dressed like that reminds me of bad super-hero series with plastic props. There's definitely some caricatural humour involved.

I just have to say, the costumes in The Boys look a tad ridiculous. It's likely on purpose, but seeing poor Annie / Starlight dressed like that reminds me of bad super-hero series with plastic props. There's definitely some caricatural humour involved.

Oh hell, yes. The whole thing is a completely subversive parody of the superhero genre, and the state of society today.

Yeah, if I remember right, Starlight's costume used to be more "normal", but she was forced into a more sexist/revealing costume, which she hates. I love Homelander's costume as being the most over the top cheesy, but at the same time I could totally imagine an old school superhero from a comic book being dressed like that.

I think the character of Homelander, both in the writing and the performance, is excellent. In every scene he is completely capricious, while exuding psychopathic fragile narcissism; a man with no centre.

I think he brings tension to every scene, which also provides a dramatic reason for the brutality.

I think the character of Homelander, both in the writing and the performance, is excellent. In every scene he is completely capricious, while exuding psychopathic fragile narcissism; a man with no centre.

I think he brings tension to every scene, which also provides a dramatic reason for the brutality.

I agree, and it's clear to me that the show can't continue past the point where Homelander dies (if he does). It takes a bit of the dramatic weight out of the current happenings on the show, cause unless this is the last season (and I don't think it is), we kinda know their plan won't work.

I'm quite enjoying my rewatch of the first series from Evil, and some of the early episodes become more poignant now that we know more of the characters involved. I've also been watching a more light-hearted show called Reservation Dogs, about some youths that reside on a First Nations reserve.

I agree, and it's clear to me that the show can't continue past the point where Homelander dies (if he does). It takes a bit of the dramatic weight out of the current happenings on the show, cause unless this is the last season (and I don't think it is), we kinda know their plan won't work.

Most likely that's true, but I figure there are other dramatic things that could happen without outright killing him. Given the undertones, I'm guessing that the whole plan is going to fall apart before it even gets to the point as they decide that their new "friend" isn't actually the lesser of two evils after all.

Either way Homelander is a great character and may even beat out Killgrave as the most terrifying TV supervillain.

I didn't realize the season 3 of The Boys was still ongoing. I've seen all the episodes so far, but for me this is only going downhill since season 2 so I'm not really sure I'll bother to watch it until the end.

Back
Top Bottom