The TV Series discussion thread

Well, thoroughly enjoyed Stranger Things and this episode of The Boys. Had a right little feast of entertainment yesterday.

Recently started watching Stranger Things and spotted
Robert Englund.

Oh hell yes! How appropriate!

First season? I vaguely remember that, but I can't recall the details.

*Edit* Duh...he was Victor Creel. Not sure how I forgot that.

Last edited:
I thought he was only in this season as a nod to the Elm Street aspect of the plot. Did he show up on earlier seasons?

I thought he was only in this season as a nod to the Elm Street aspect of the plot. Did he show up on earlier seasons?

No, that was a brain fart on my part. When Drithius said "Recently started watching Stranger Things", I took that as meaning he just started watching the series rather than Season 4.

I've watched the first three episodes of the Old Man, they've obviously made some changes from the book yet it's still well worth watching. I find it odd that the whole money situation doesn't seem to exist, not sure why they did away with that, as it makes the whole scenario a lot more plausible, imo.

And I'm almost done with Reservation Dogs, this series reminds me a lot of Atlanta, in a very good way, save from a First Nation perspective. It's really good.

Barry has always been a black comedy, but I don't remember it being as funny before this season. Eight 30 minute episodes goes by in a blink, but I'm enjoying it.

Barry has always been a black comedy, but I don't remember it being as funny before this season. Eight 30 minute episodes goes by in a blink, but I'm enjoying it.
I love Barry. There's a brilliant chase scene in the latest season, something I didn't think I'd ever see on this show. Superb stuff.

I'm halfway through S2 of Kominsky Method, and I finally got some episodes where I really laughed my ass off. It's quite funny sometimes, other times it's thoughtful on the state of growing old. It's a nice slow ride.
Hey, thanks for mentioning this one. I had no idea Michael Douglas was still working. Looks like the sort of thoughtful drama/comedy that will serve as a nice counterpoint to my usual fare. Had a look at the trailer on Netflix, added to my watchlist.

I'm just curious - do American folks detect the foreign interlopers in shows like Stranger Things and The Boys? You've got Eleven, One, and Eddie in Stranger Things who are Brits. Then in The Boys you've got Homelander and Butcher who are Kiwis, Maeve who's Irish, and so on.

I'm wondering if they play Americans well enough to be transparent.

I'm just curious - do American folks detect the foreign interlopers in shows like Stranger Things and The Boys? You've got Eleven, One, and Eddie in Stranger Things who are Brits. Then in The Boys you've got Homelander and Butcher who are Kiwis, Maeve who's Irish, and so on.

I'm wondering if they play Americans well enough to be transparent.

Can't speak for every American, but I'm well used to it. Non American actors play a ton of American roles and have for a while. I stopped being surprised after The Wire, if not earlier. That show was full of Brits. I often can't tell just from listening to them speak, but then again I don't often live in the setting of the shows (Baltimore in my example).

I watched the first Barry series simply because Winkler was in it, and always meant to get back to the show. Thanks for the reminder!

As far as I can recall, he's been good throughout the series, but he's definitely very good and very central to things in season 3.

Can't speak for every American, but I'm well used to it. Non American actors play a ton of American roles and have for a while. I stopped being surprised after The Wire, if not earlier. That show was full of Brits. I often can't tell just from listening to them speak, but then again I don't often live in the setting of the shows (Baltimore in my example).

Yeah, I was wondering if they ring false when they speak. When actors try to play Brits, some of them can do it, but quite often they stick out. I was thinking that one factor might be that most folks are so steeped in American TV and cinema, they find it quite easy to slip into that mode convincingly.

I did watch the newest Strange New Worlds episode last night, and it only proves that the writers involved can create good content instead of merely sabotaging existing character/stories, when they so choose to do so. I'll miss Hemmer as I'd grown to like him, though I knew he'd have to go at some point to make way for Montgomery Scott.

Yeah, I was wondering if they ring false when they speak. When actors try to play Brits, some of them can do it, but quite often they stick out. I was thinking that one factor might be that most folks are so steeped in American TV and cinema, they find it quite easy to slip into that mode convincingly.

Frenchie, the French guy in The Boys, has a weird accent and he doesn't sound as a native. If he's speaking French in Israel, it doesn't sound like it's his first language. The fake French accent is realistic enough though.

It's funny when there are French-speaking characters in English movies, because it's usually so obvious for us. :)

But sometimes the local accent rubs off on people who stay many years abroad. I've heard someone years after he left for the US and he had the same weird mixed accent, so it could be that. The guy had lost a part of his vocabulary too.

I'm pretty good at picking up on non-native US actors, though I've spent considerable time outside this country, which might have something to do with it. The studios are probably getting actors that can meet or exceed the skills required, and don't come with a ridiculous price tag.

Finshed Stranger Things Season 4. Last episode was good, but I'm not sure if it matched the hype. Season 1 is still the best imo.

The "Master of Puppets" sequence. That was simply awesome.

It looks like Season 5 will be the last one.

Stranger-Things.jpg

Back
Top Bottom