Things you don't need to know...

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor
Small steps back to civilisation. Did you manage to source a tarpolin or rig something up to prevent further damage to your home?
My insurance company is sending a contractor to tarp the roof. They contacted me today and said they should be here tomorrow or Friday at the latest. Thankfully, it's been clear skies since the hurricane ended.

Ripper

Зичу Вам успіхів

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor
Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but how does one cheat in chess? I don't quite understand what it is exactly that they're being accused of.

Ripper

Зичу Вам успіхів
Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but how does one cheat in chess? I don't quite understand what it is exactly that they're being accused of.
Using computers, which now handily outplay humans. For online games that's obviously easy, but for real games people have used hidden earpieces, things strapped to their legs, and all sorts.

pibbuR

Feeling ... lonely?
And the clue is if a human plays a lot like a computer would.

pibbuR who mostly plays against a computer. When he plays. Which is not very often.

bkrueger

Nothing to see here.
They also have signals from someone in the audience somehow apparently. But I don't fully understand it.
Sometimes one bit of information in certain situations can be enough to give you an advantage in said situations. For example, if you opponent offers a draw, it would be good to know, whether you should do that or if you have a good chance to win, if you don't. An accomplice in the audience, who gets this info from a chess computer, could signal this bit by moving to another position in the room, for example, or by a gesture. Another bit would be: In the actual position you have a chance to sacrifice a piece or not. Is it good to do so? Knowing this could be the deciding info in such situations. Edit: Obviously such things have really happened in the past.

There are at least three ways of cheating in chess:

1. An accomplice in the audience signals info.

2. You get info e.g. by radio transmission to a small receiver.

3. You have a chess computer with you. There are demonstrations, that you could have a computer strong enough for that in the sole of your shoe. Also you can have one in a body cave.

So in order to prevent cheating you need:

1. No audience allowed.

2. Playing in a Faraday cage. Unfortunately that will not be enough, since the are also ways to transmit info e.g. by ultrasound and even without a receiver (allegedly there are ways to target such signal to a specific person, so they hear something as normal sound. I don't know, how exactly that works, but may be you send two ultrasonic signals from different directions, and their superposition in a very specific spot result in normal sound). So you need measures to prevent or detect all kinds of signals potentially usable for signaling.

3. You need to use a body scanner and let the players play naked or with clothes provided by the organizer of the tournament.

To implement all of these seems unrealistic, so instead of preventing cheating they try to prove it after the fact, by analyzing, how many of your moves are the same a computer would have made (probably they use a selection of the best computers for that). This can be compared to a drug test, where you also do not prove the act of taking the drug as such, but the results it leaves in your body.

Somehow the world is funny...

Top Bottom