Things you don't need to know...

I've had to rack up some teacher assistant credits as well, to complete the degree. I've only eighteen hours left to do on that part to complete, likely will do those during spring/summer terms.

One thing I've learned along the way is, while I have the utmost respect for teachers, it's not something I truly enjoy doing.

Last edited:
Got another food lawsuit that makes me laugh.:D
Why making it a class action lawsuit?

I'm not claiming that everything is better here, but in Norway we have consumer protection authorities taking care of things like that. If they find, based on complaints or on their own initiative, that marketing, labelling, declaration of contents etc. is against rules for honest marketing, they order the business to change it. And that's that.

Admittedly sometimes it seems a bit like nitpicking. For instance, years ago we had so called "lemon soda", which actually doesn't contain much lemon (if anything at all). So now it has to be called "soda with a taste of lemon". I can't see that's very important. Other matters are. For instance, if a shop adverts a sale, saying that the price of a product is reduced by 30%, the claimed original price must be real, they have to have sold it at that price is for more than a couple of weeks. Businesses sometimes try very creative ways to get around this, usually and fortunately with limited success.

BTW, I don't think they would have ordered Buffalo Wild Wings to change the menu. Partly because, of course, they don't exist in Norway. And "hot dog" is legal, despite containing very little dog meat.

BTW2: The term "hot dog" is not universally used in Norway. Here in Bergen we call the thing "hot dog", but the wife, coming from the north usually orders "sausage with bread".

pibbuR who lives quite happily in what some call a nanny state. And who wonders if the lawsuit is likely to succeed.

Last edited:
Why making it a class action lawsuit?
Mostly it has to do with how laws are written depending on where you live.

For example XBox or PlayStation, you agree to certain terms that you can't file certain lawsuits to use the system. Also there never was a boneless wing in the first place.

Restaurants/Fast-food joints offered them to consumers that hated bones in their chicken wings. It's a marketing term and almost everyone knows it's a chicken nugget.

Isn't there a money incentive too? Aren't class action suits rewarded by a compensation for the "damage" when the case is won?

In Europe it's possible as well, except (I think) the class action suits can only be brought to justice by specific organizations. It may change in the future.

Otherwise there are a number of organizations and proxies to protect and defend the consumers, but I've never heard of any compensation. From my little experience, it's usually very slow and rarely reaches any conclusion (if it even starts).

So being alone vs a group class action may also have a different weight, and a different outcome.

Actually, you might want to know this, but for practical purposes, you probably don't need to.

Connecting unknown USB drives received in letters from unknown senders into your computer, is in general not recommended. Especially if they contain explosives, like the ones sent to 5 journalists in Equador recently. You can read about it here: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/202...-drive-mailed-to-him-it-exploded-in-his-face/

pibbuR

PS. Nobody was seriously hurt, partly because the charges only partly ignited. DS.

PPS. Disclaimer: Even if we find game journos despicable, I don't recommend sending explosives. I don't recommend expletives either, but that's only because I am a nice, conflict avoiding, guy DS.,

AI, Chatbots, whatever, like a purple tentacler, is taking over world. I'm not saying this is bad. Or this is good. But sometimes these things post fake news, fake answers (or given the current rhetoric, alternative answers). It's referred to as "hallucination". Many companies deplore this, but apparently not Microsoft.

"Microsoft tries to justify A.I.‘s tendency to give wrong answers by saying they’re ‘usefully wrong" (https://www.cnbc.com/2023/03/16/microsoft-justifies-ais-usefully-wrong-answers.html)

"As long as people realize that Copilot’s responses could be sloppy with the facts, they can edit the inaccuracies and more quickly send their emails or finish their presentation slides."

"if a person wants to create an email wishing a family member a happy birthday, Copilot can still be helpful even if it presents the wrong birth date."

pibbuR who quite evidently relies too much on spelling error detection technology when posting.

Last edited:
I don't see the usefulness but maybe I'm not looking in the right direction.

ChatGPT is making a lot of mistakes, which are not always easy to detect. One way is to make it talk a little further about something and compare different alternatives or perspectives to detect contradictions.

At this stage I wouldn't rely on those systems to get information or solve problems, but it could be a great interface to a system. Or why not, a competent aid to write and to proofread for lazy people. As long as privacy is not a concern, of course, since it's still too demanding in hardware to be anything else than online.

What I fear is that it's one giant step to make us more stupid, because no matter how useful it may be as a natural language interface, it will be used in silly ways like composing articles or solving problems for us (and indeed, to replace the support team in companies).

People might reconsider "truth" one day, and maybe even fall back to the only really safe method, which is asking your neighbour ("did that mass actually turn into concrete ?"), or doings tests yourself.

About lawsuits:

A German Man Won a Legal Battle over His Right to Pee Standing Up: (https://www.vice.com/en/article/qbe...-nightmare-of-men-sitting-down-to-pee-is-over)

pibbuR who stands up for his rights. Usually with excellent precision, and if not (the rare case) with sufficient access to (and using) usable cleaning tissues.

PS.
Peeing+sitting+yup_bb32b4_4127938.jpg

DS.
PPS.
BoL4l4gCUAAny48

DS.

Last edited:
They are for me, but now I can't un-see them!! :)

They are for me, but now I can't un-see them!! :)
Mission accomplished.

BTW: I did some research before posting this (the pictures took some time). I saw several claims that sitting while peeing is more healthy for the man. I seriously.doubt that's something we know for certain, and if there is, it must be of minor significance. For all practical purposes, what matters is the hygienic aspects.

pibbuR who after discussing the issue with his youngest has decided to (most of the time) sit. Especially on shaking ground (trains, and planes during periods of turbulence ). Out in the wilds he will keep standing.

PS. There is also another issue of course. Many years ago I was a lecturer at a nursery school. One day I decided to got to the lavatory, starting the procedure at the nearest urinal. Then, during said procedure, it crossed my mind: eh... there are no urinals here.... I won't admit where I was standing, but I'll give you a hint: There are installations on lavatories, at the correct height, which may, if you don't pay close attention, pass as a urinal.

I was alone at the lavatory. And no students entered the facilty while I was there.
DS.

PPS. Observe there is a protocol for using urinals, scientifically described by the xkcd guy: https://blog.xkcd.com/2009/09/02/urinal-protocol-vulnerability/ DS.

PPPS. Due to the slightly more sensitive nature, I will not elaborate on ... that other procedure, except that I for reasons of prevention do inspect (not closely!!!) the result (honestly, here's the doctor speaking, it actually makes sense). DS.

Last edited:
Two mathematical jokes. I post them here, because they do require some mathematics to apprieciate them.

"Pythagoras" equation:
1^2 + i^2=0^2

And a poem:
"Pi goes on and on and on ...
And e is just as cursed.
I wonder: Which is larger
When their digits are reversed?"

Found them on Wikipedia's article about mathematicaj jokes (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematical_joke)

pibbuR whose mindset is complex

Back
Top Bottom