Things you don't need to know...

I used to prefer cold to heat, yet after almost five years now in Florida, I think I'd keel over dead if I ever experienced the negative forty degree weather that I felt on occasion while in Canada. Now I like it around a balmy twenty-seven to thirty, preferably with little to no breeze.

For me the test says: Iceland. (Also quite cold, but with warm ponds.)

Today was my final day as a permanent resident of Canada. I could have paid the fee and used an address to continue, yet I didn't feel that to be the honest course, so I'm letting it lapse. Now if I screw up in the States I can only be deported to two destinations, as it's been for me since 1981. -p. At least I do have all my final courses selected and finances in place for whenever I'm ready to take the remaining three courses for my degree.

ChatGPT completely fails the camel test, even if I give a part of the solution in the problem description:
You need to transport 3000 bananas across 1000 km in the desert. You only have one camel, which can carry a maximum load of 1000 bananas at the same time. The camel must eat 1 banana every km, whether it carries something or not. If that helps, the camel can proceed by dividing the journey into several legs and store the remaining bananas at the intermediate destinations. It is even possible to transport and leave fractions of bananas.

Maximize the number of bananas at the final destination, and describe the solution. How many bananas are left?

The solution is ... well, I think ChatGPT has just solved the problem of food transportation.
Here's a strategy to maximize the number of bananas at the final destination:
  1. On the first trip, the camel carries 1000 bananas and travels 333 km (one-third of the distance). During this journey, it eats 333 bananas (one for each km traveled). At the end of the first trip, the camel leaves the remaining 667 bananas at the 333 km mark and returns to the starting point empty-handed, eating another 333 bananas during the return trip.
  2. On the second trip, the camel travels back to the 333 km mark and picks up the 667 bananas it left behind. It then travels another 333 km to the 666 km mark, eating 333 bananas along the way. At the 666 km mark, it leaves behind the remaining 334 bananas and returns to the 333 km mark empty-handed, eating another 333 bananas during the return trip.
  3. On the third trip, the camel travels back to the 666 km mark and picks up the 334 bananas it left behind. It then travels back to the starting point, eating 333 bananas along the way and leaving the remaining 1,000 bananas at the starting point.
  4. On the fourth trip, the camel carries 1,000 bananas from the starting point and travels to the 333 km mark, eating 333 bananas along the way and leaving 667 bananas at the 333 km mark.
  5. On the fifth trip, the camel travels back to the starting point, carrying the remaining 667 bananas and eating 333 bananas along the way.
At the final destination, the camel will have delivered 667 + 334 + 667 = 1668 bananas, and there will be 1332 bananas left at the starting point. This strategy maximizes the number of bananas at the final destination by minimizing the number of bananas the camel eats during its journey and optimizing the number of bananas left at each intermediate destination. Note that since we are allowed to transport and leave fractions of bananas, the number of bananas left at each intermediate destination may not be a whole number.

:unsure:

At least it's better than the previous solution where it had killed the camel, but that's another story.

It's still the old 3.5 version, but if/when they make version 4 publicly available, it will be interesting to see the difference.

Question; how does the camel manage to eat 333 bananas on the return trip when it has none left in its inventory?

Question; how does the camel manage to eat 333 bananas on the return trip when it has none left in its inventory?
Exactly, you nailed it. I've only tried a few problems but it did similar mistakes in all of them when there are intermediate values. It seems it "falsifies" data or makes up facts when there's a gap that it doesn't know how to reconcile. Don't use it as your tax calculator. ;)

I've recently asked ChatGPT the composition of Roman legions, with the theoretical number of legionaries in each cohort and so on, and it kept making up numbers and reaching wrong results, even though it seemed aware of the overall structure. I wonder if that was the same type of bug, or if it was fed with conflicting facts (e.g. first cohort with more legionaries or identical number of them depending on the source).

Or when asked where particular characters were present in a novel series, it declared they appeared in every book (listing their titles), and, when asked to check for each individual book, it apologized each time and admitted they were not in that one but in the others. In fact, they weren't present in any of those books.

I hope they lose. I can't stand Taco Bell. Their food is garbage. Only in America could a franchise like that become as popular as they are.

Today, I fear I'm going to disappoint you.

When spring comes, in addition to expose pigeons (and the occasional squirrel) to hazardous substances (and ... experiments), it's also time for firing up the lawnmower. Fort several years that was a petrol-powered lawn-and-whatever's-in-there mower, which I called "Rammstein".

This year, I've replaced it with a battery-powered thingy.
RY36LMXSP53A-160--Hero_1.jpg

It's still a weapon of mass destruction, but compared to the old one, the sound from it is rather ... puny. So in most cases, even my closest neighbours won't notice I'm using it, don't even think about Down Under, which is kind of disappointing. On the plus side, this of course makes it suitable for stealth attacks, so it's not all bad.

But what should I call it? "Rammstein" is obviously out of the question now, it has to be something a bit more mellow. I have considered "Maxwell".

Maybe something from Peter Gabriel?

pibbur who hasn't made up his mind what to call it, or even worse, whether to call it anything at all.

Last edited:
That's annoying. You could mount a WiFi speaker to emulate the sound; I'm sure there are long Youtube videos with lawnmower background sounds that people play to relax themselves into sleeping.

Maybe something from Peter Gabriel?
Rather from Genesis. Try out their song "I know what i like (in your wardrobe)".

I tend to like Maxwell's Silver Hammer (the song), because it has a rather black humour in it.

A lawnmower also plays quite a role in the animated movie called "Gnomeo & Juliet".

Maybe this should be posted in the TYMLTK thread.

Professor Flunks All His Students After ChatGPT Falsely Claims It Wrote Their Papers (https://www.rollingstone.com/cultur...ssor-flunks-students-false-claims-1234736601/)

Apparently he used the thing to find out if the students had used the thing to write their papers, and it falsely (for at least some students) claimed it had written the paper.

One interesting (funny) quote:
"With very little prodding, ChatGPT will even claim to have written passages from famous novels such as Crime and Punishment."

It has to be said that the school claims that actually no students got an "F" because of this. Maybe ChatGPT scan examine that.

pibbuR who made this (based on an email from COdeProject).

PS. There are AI systems that can help detecting cheats like this, but ChatGPT is not among them. According to rollingstone. DS

Rather from Genesis. Try out their song "I know what i like (in your wardrobe)".

I tend to like Maxwell's Silver Hammer (the song), because it has a rather black humour in it.

A lawnmower also plays quite a role in the animated movie called "Gnomeo & Juliet".
If I should pick something from Genesis it would have been "Get'em out by Friday".

pibbuR who'll think about this during supper.

Back
Top Bottom