Things you don't need to know...

I miss the Ankh-Morpork Watch / Vimes series. Apparently there was a TV show, from the score it doesn't seem to fly very high but I've never watched it so I don't know. The other mini-series about Going Postal was good though (and there were a couple of others).

Top 30 Songs of 1968​

I was born in 1968 and I like nearly all of these songs.

Crapulent Norwegians armed with large Toblerones could be quite formidable.

image-asset.jpeg
I want that Toblerone!!!! :)

Pfft....I could eat that in one day and be in a blissful chocolate comma.😛
You're right. Family size does not mean that you have to share it.

PibbuR who remembers the day the dad came home with 20 (smallish) pieces of chocolate. Pibbur ate one. The sister ate one. The mother ate one. And dad ate 17.

I've never been a huge fan of Toblerone, but objectively it's good quality. Swiss chocolate is almost as good as Belgian chocolate after all. ;)
I agree. But sometimes you want chocolate (any type) just because it's chocolate.

pibbuR who thinks of Belgium as the country of great chocolate, great beers - and occasional problems forming a government.

I remember when McD's first came out they advertised you could have a burger, fries and drink for less than $1 (99 cents actually)!! Ah, the good old days!!!! :)

Hmm, strange. It's always been expensive (and unhealthy) meals here.

We have a European competitor with a slightly better hygiene, but it's still overpriced.
I'm surprised to hear that. Do they get a lot of business? I can't imagine that many Europeans would pay high prices for something as garbage as McDonald's.

I'm surprised to hear that. Do they get a lot of business? I can't imagine that many Europeans would pay high prices for something as garbage as McDonald's.
It seems to work just fine. People are willing to pay a little extra to have something a little different than everyday's food at home or at the canteen and it takes less time. It's not outrageously expensive but I find it overpriced for what it is: about the same price as a honest meal at a typical restaurant, but not as nourishing (and certainly not as balanced) and with virtually no service in a sad place.

hidden-mothers-13.png

Nice toddler photo. Notice the chair it's sitting in? It's mommy.

The photo is from the (probably early) Victorian period. Back then exposure time was at least several seconds (in the really old days minutes). So the challenge was how to keep the young one still? Enter mommy, but hidden, looking like a carpet, or a sofa, anything to prevent her from appearing in the picture.

Another example (guess where she is):

hidden-mothers-victorian-baby-photography-14.jpg

Sometimes mother was, a bit clumsily by today's standards, edited out of the picture:

article-2274266-176059B0000005DC-634_306x501.jpg

You can read more about it here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hidden_mother_photography or just google for "hidden mother photography".

pibbuR who is better looking the more he hides (hence the long hair, the glasses and the beard).

Talking about photography.

This is the earliest known photo, taken by Joseph Nicéphore Niépce from a window in his home in Burgundy@France in 1826:
1_HRC_HR_first_photo_old_800x.jpg

And this is the earliest photo (known) photo of a person, by Louis Daguerre in 1838:

Human-2.jpg

Exposure time was more than 10 minutes, which means that moving targets don't appear. Only the one, calmly getting his shoes shined, in the lower left corner of the picture is clearly visible. According to https://petapixel.com/2010/10/27/first-ever-photograph-of-a-human-being/ there are other people visible, but you have to look (more) carefully (than I) to find them.

Other "earliest photos" can be found here: https://petapixel.com/first-photos-photography-history/

pibbuR

EDIT: Exposure time for the first photo was 8 hours.

Last edited:
Dying to use Win 11 on your old good-for-nothing PC? Well, here's Tiny11, made by NTDEV, which includes just the windows functionality you really need (so Edge is not included). Read about it here: https://www.neowin.net/news/tiny11-...oated-windows-11-for-less-powerful-computers/

One interesting thing in the article: "Therefore, installing stock Windows 11 on unsupported hardware might result in a less-than-satisfying experience." I'm pretty sure that some of you (not me) will claim that installing Win 11 on any computer will "result in a less-than-satisfying experience."

There's also a Tiny10, if you prefer that.

pibbuR who thinks that given all those terabytes, programs just can't be big enough (well, perhaps not).

More firsts. First "playable" recording of a human voice was in 1860. According to Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phonautograph) the recoding is intelligble. That's taking it a bit too far, methinks. I recognize the tune ("Au clair de la lune"), but the lyrics? Well, since it's 5 years since I leaned French at school, and not having used it since then, so ...

Artist is (presumably) Scott de Martinville.

pibbuR who thinks that finally he has found a recording device (the phoneautograph) which would do his voice justice.

PS. Oh, I forgot. Here's the recording (you might want to FFW to .28):
DS.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom