Things you might like to know.

We used to eat only organic meat, which severely limits the restaurants one can go to, but now we transferred to no meat at all. My wife has a vegan diet and I have a vegetarian diet. I was sceptic at first, but I learned to cook differently, learning also how to make sure we get all the right nutrients and I must say that the food tastes just great and we don't miss the meat at all. We actually now have more variation in our food than we had when we eat meat. Besides that it is healthy and better for the environment. Although to be honest, the environment was not the main driver for this decision.

Last edited:
I saw a statistic with actual deep researched data stating that if one person went on a self-depriving spree to produce zero emissions for a lifespan of 70 years, all their efforts would be equivalent to only 1 second of global emissions.

Depriving your lifestyle in any way in the name of saving the world is pretty much a futile exercise. Things need to change at the global level, both politically and culturally.

The important part is feeling good with oneself while living a long and healthy life.

Meat and meat eating is a huge concern and issue for climate type activists, many on the extremeist side anyway, but it will be incredibly difficult, if not impossible, to change the food culture and make eating meat either banned or no longer popular.

Even a major political party here, who likes to say they are allies and fighters for the environment, said, "Ummm, no, we are not endorsing or advocating for wanting Americans to cut down on their meat eating" when it was brought up in a goal type political paper, because they aren't stupid, and know if they adopted that extreme "No meat!" position, well, it could wipe out their political power and fortunes for a few elections, at the least.

I'm a enthusiastic meat eater, not gonna lie.

I think it's not necessarily about stopping eating meat, but about reducing how much we eat of the stuff. Both for health and environmental reasons.

And while it's true that me reducing meat consumption would have a very small impact on the environment, if I advocate/recommend reducing meat consumption for all of us, many would call me a hypocrite if I didn't personally follow the advice.

pibbuR who will increase consumption of veggies. And who will gladly pay more for the meat he eats if it improves animal welfare (and for chicken it really does).

Here's the official reply and they deny it's a problem.:rolleyes:
Ten years ago, white striping was found in less than 5% of chickens, but five years later it was found in 96% of chickens, CBS MoneyWatch reported.
However, the National Chicken Council said the report was unscientific and that white striping is like marbling in red meat. "White striping is not a disease. It is a quality factor in chicken breast meat caused by deposits of fat in the muscle during the bird's growth and development," a spokesman told CBS.

Only 3% to 6% of birds in commercial flocks have severe cases of white striping, the spokesperson added. Most meat with severe white striping is used in processed products and not sold as boneless, skinless breasts. "So, when consumers purchase meat at the store, the meat does not have white striping," he said.
So they lie as my family mostly eats chicken with a small amount of red meat.

You can't always trust the National Chicken Council. :p

I'm a enthusiastic meat eater, not gonna lie.

Same here, but at the same time, I don't think I'd have a problem adapting if meat suddenly disappeared from the menu. It would just motivate me to plan my meals better.

I realized some time ago that a vegan diet is probably healthier, but I'm lazy when it comes to food.

One step further. Maybe that between this and the recent actions of China against gaming, and the plans of nVidia on cryptomining, the price of the graphics card could go down a little bit. The article is not so optimistic for the long term, however (from a cryptocurrency point of view).

The value of the bitcoin had been ballistic since the outbreak.
China declares transactions involving cryptocurrencies illegal
Country steps up its campaign to block use of unofficial digital money

China’s central bank has intensified its clampdown on cryptocurrencies by making all transactions in the virtual assets illegal, triggering a drop in the price of bitcoin on Friday.

The move signals the latest attempt to rein in cryptocurrency use in China, where regulators fear it might weaken the Communist party’s control over the financial system and promote criminal activity.

In a notice issued on Friday, the People’s Bank of China said bitcoin, ethereum and other digital currencies disrupted the financial system and were used in money-laundering and other crimes. “Virtual currency derivative transactions are all illegal financial activities and are strictly prohibited,” the bank said on its website.

The price of bitcoin fell more than 8% immediately after the announcement, dropping to just over $41,000 (£30,000).
[. . .]

I went full vegetarian back in the early nineties, to be honest I didn't really miss meat at all, and found lots of other good options. It also made me very appreciative of salads and all veggies, even to this day I'm not a big meat fan, fish often and the occasional pork or chicken, I don't care for beef at all. That decade away from meat taught me much about my own body, and what I truly enjoy to eat.

I would just advise not throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

There's plenty of meat in the world that doesn't come from nefarious sources. I can understand a city deep-dweller trapped in a metropolis going vege after watching a doc about mass-meat, but most of the world isn't trapped inside a metropolis and does have access to properly reared animals.

The extent to which cows are bad for the environment is an amusing one, because the actual problem is the number of human beings, that's why we have so many cows. Performing a genocide on all the cows in the world will merely buy a few more years, geocoding all meat-related animals will buy a few more, but it's still the number humans that's the problem. It's like kicking your dog when you fart as a means to cover up the fact that it's actually yourself that's farting.

On the topic of dogs, one of the main reasons meat products have increased in volume so much is because of all those cats and dogs people keep as pets. Something that, hey, you never really hear about. And those numbers all shot up during lockdown didn't they. It's not just us that are eating meat, it's all the other creatures that naturally eat meat. So I guess all the pets get genocided at some point as well.

And why do I keep using the word genocide? Well, although some meat producing animals do indeed find themselves in an early death situation, the actual numbers of cows, sheep and etc in the world is huge, and many have a very long and healthy happy lives. In terms of cow culture, cows & etc are doing extremely well out of their association with man. Far better than their relatives who exist entirely at the verge of extinction either in zoos or charitable reserves. And charitable reserves don't do so well when a country turns to violent chaos.

I guess we could all have cows as pets. In our small metropolitan skyline cages.

In terms of diet and feeling better about your health. Yes, having a day or two with no meat can and is very beneficial. Helps with the flow as they say. Even carnivorous cats will eat some flora when they're feeling a bit bunged up. But like most things, a permanent exclusion of something or other is really neither here nor there to long term health. Everything in moderation and all that. Meat is just an ingredient like any other. If you like the taste, don't deny yourself just out of a flawed principle - aka, don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. If you don't really like the taste of meat, don't have it.

Essentially, there's no moral stance beyond the problem of mass-meat, or, factory driven meat rather than farming driven meat, so I just hope no-one tries to make a modern religion out of it.

My father was a hunter (hobby-wise), and he always told me that wild living animals have a better time (and thus better meat) than animals from farms.

I still agree to him somewhat; meanwhile i eat as few meat as possible (90-95% vegetarian), I must agree that wild animals are something different.

Personally, I very firmly believe that we need to get to a different mind set today :

That meat is something extraordinary. It should not be cheap !
What should be more cheap, however, imho is everything vegetable-like. I'm not speaking od soy, I'm speaking of carrots, beans, cabbage, you get it. Everything with vitamins in it.

Here, meat is - in my personal opinion - just too cheap. Firms producing meat are exploiting east european workers who work for a minimum of the wages. Because they're glad they get more money than they would in poorer east european countries. And the meat producing firms are exploiting that. Which in turn makes meat too cheap in my eyes.

My father, as a hunter, very much communicated to me that meat fro animals is something special. At least from wild animals. And that we should not take that meat for granted.

When I look at earlier cultures, and at what still happens in rural areas (countryside), people make a feast out of an animal's meat. Why ? Because it is so rare. Because it is something extraordinary. Because it is something people do not get every day !

I believe we should be more sensitive regarding what we eat.

I totally agree, Alrik, I spent almost six years on a dairy farm in my youth, hunted and ate bear/deer more times than I can count, and I swear it was the best tasting meat I've ever had to this day. We pollute our bodies so much, and a lot of it we actually have a choice about, it behooves us to make smart decisions about what to eat, especially these days. Eat smart, eat healthy!

Any meal without meat is not really a meal!! Carnivores forever!!!! :)

Watching the main national BBC news today - feature on a laboratory that makes meat out of barley. Protein straight from the lab! Looks like meat too. I suspect this feature would confuse vegetarians and meat eaters alike!

Ironically, a few minutes later David Attenborough's voice was brought out to warn us all of a possible future extinction event, and I thought, what, you mean the cows?

Beautiful double rainbow over Edale.

_121211767_247600011_10165573431655253_3516066926297716732_n.jpg

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-derbyshire-59037376

At least some opf you would like to know this:

Intel Core i9 11900K: Five Linux Distros Show Sizable Lead Over Windows 11
(https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=11900k-windows11-clear&num=2)

It's about how several programs perform under 5 Linux distros compared to Win 11. I quote the conclusion:

"Out of 44 tests run across all six operating systems, Windows 11 had just three wins on this Core i9 11900K system. Meanwhile Intel's own Clear Linux platform easily dominated with coming in first place 75% of the time followed by Fedora Workstation 35 in second place with first place finishes 9% of the time."

pibbuR

PS. There are several issues about win11 which is worth discussing. Maybe we should have a separate win11 thread? DS.

PPSA. Anyone having experience with the Intel distro? DS.

I did have a look at Clear Linux a while back, out of curiosity. Not of much practical use to me, as it wasn't really designed with consideration as a desktop distro (though you could slap a desktop environment on it), and for a server I want something mature and stable with easy access to packages. Things may have changed though, and I wonder if there might be more user-friendly distros based on it.

So you want a new GPU do you?Ha good luck. Well be careful what you buy as a truck full of GPU cards was hijacked by thieves with the intention to sell online for a profit.

Link - https://www.nme.com/news/gaming-new...ce-gpus-has-been-stolen-in-california-3087322
A truck full of GeForce graphics cards valued between $330 and up to $1960 each has been stolen in a robbery in California.

The news was confirmed by EVGA product manager, Jacob Freeman, who explained that a shipment of EVGA GeForce RTX 30-series graphics cards were stolen from a truck on its way from San Francisco to the company’s Southern California distribution centre.

Posting on the EVGA forums, Freeman explained that EVGA will not register or honour the warranty or upgrade claims on any of the stolen GeForce cards. He also reminded readers that it is a criminal and civil offence to buy or receive" property that has been stolen, citing California Penal Code section 496(a).

I saw a story about a kidnapped child that was rescued after showing this sign. It was originally intended to signal violence at home, but is used whenever someone wants to signal that they're under duress. I wasn't familiar with it, and it's worth knowing.

Watch-This-Hand-Gesture-Popularized-on-TikTok-Led-to-the.png

Back
Top Bottom