Things you might like to know.

Nod Ripper, I think I might have read that same story on the Guardian. A cautionary tale for sure, if that hand gesture can save even one innocent life, we should all learn it and pass it along.

Yes, I think it's a good idea to have a recognised sign that isn't obviously calling for help, which they may not be able to do, but to quietly let you know that something is wrong that involves coercion and danger, so you can judge how best to handle the situation.

The benefits of tic-toc, where she apparently learned the sign.

Yeah, that's another reason I mentioned it. If the kids all know the sign, but the rest of us not so much, that could be a problem. So it seems worth spreading it around.

I'm just glad the Guardian covered the story, as I eschew any social media shenanigans myself. It's all too toxic for my liking, yet good to see at least one good item can exist in a sea of nastiness.

And way late, by about thirty years, yet today I received my masters degree in history! Not sure what I'll do with it, teaching doesn't really appeal, might suck up another couple years of lectures and go for the PhD. Who knows, just really glad to at least finally finish this part!!~

And way late, by about thirty years, yet today I received my masters degree in history! Not sure what I'll do with it, teaching doesn't really appeal, might suck up another couple years of lectures and go for the PhD. Who knows, just really glad to at least finally finish this part!!~

Congratulations! What did you cover for the Master's?

My focus was the American Civil War. Having done re-enactments in the past, and being fascinated with all the events that led up to the conflict and afterwards, it wasn't like actual work at all. The reconstruction period was my thesis, so basically American history from 1850 to 1880. I really wanted to do the Mexican-American war era, yet that premise got rejected.

A new world record for standing on top of a balloon at altitude. I don't usually have a problem with heights, but there's something about standing on top of that balloon that makes my legs go funny.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-europe-59244336

Congratulations!

The original patent from 1891 for a toilet paper roll shows the correct rolling direction.

26CA40D900000578-3002112-image-a-11_1426758230162.jpg

Apparently it is.
It's an argument that has plagued most households at least once, but now the age-old question of whether toilet paper should sit under or over the roll has finally been solved.

How? By a 124-year-old patent from 22 December 1891 which clearly illustrates an 'over' arrangement for toilet paper.

Writer Owen Williams discovered the toilet paper patent online, and wasted no time in sharing his new-found information with his 8,000 followers on Twitter.

The patent was created by the inventor of perforated toilet paper sheets, New York business man Seth Wheeler.

Wheeler, who was also the owner of the Albany Perforated Wrapping Sheet Company, undoubtedly innovated the way toilet paper is created and used in this way.

Included in the patent, are Seth's declarations on his new product: 'Be it known that I, SETH WHEELER, of the city and county of Albany, and State of New York, have invented certain new and useful Improvements in Toilet-Paper Rolls.'
Source:
www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3002112/Age-old-debate-toilet-paper-settled-patent-1891.html

Normally I would not quote something of the Daily Mail, but it is one of the oldest sources I could find, after having stumbled on the picture in my Twitter timeline, looking it up on https://tineye.com/

I could not find the original tweet of Owen Williams who some label as a journalist, instead of a writer, as mentioned by the Daily Mail.

The filling progress bar always shown during the installation of software is also a patent, I was once told. The trainer who said that also told us that any software company which uses it needs to pay fees for that.

I don't know if that's true, but again, after reading that this toilet paper thing actually has a patent, I tend to believe that this progress bar thing is true, too.

Apparently it is.

Source:
www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3002112/Age-old-debate-toilet-paper-settled-patent-1891.html

Normally I would not quote something of the Daily Mail, but it is one of the oldest sources I could find, after having stumbled on the picture in my Twitter timeline, looking it up on https://tineye.com/

I could not find the original tweet of Owen Williams who some label as a journalist, instead of a writer, as mentioned by the Daily Mail.

It's a shitty debate, imo. ;)

BMW wants to take features your new car already has, and turn them into subscription DLC. I sincerely hope that if anyone is offered this nonsense at a dealership, they will laugh and walk out.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=772Tdvjvsao

Back
Top Bottom