PoE Thoughts/discussion/first impressions of Pillars of Eternity!

Pillars of Eternity

I don't even bother with protection spells for charm much, I just send the tanks (Eder and the ranger pet) ahead and use spells/bows from afar, if they charm my tanks, it's a nuisance but not too dangerous as they don't do damage. Only problem is the Foe spells that will damage them so need to be careful with those. Of course, once in a while they do charm my rogue and that's a major ouch since she's HEAVY dps, but that's survivable.

So what's the deal with all the mind controlling enemies as you go? Talk about tedious. If I wait until I have the right protection spell the bay will be closed?
They are only thing that breaks the monotonous combat.

So what's the deal with all the mind controlling enemies as you go? Talk about tedious. If I wait until I have the right protection spell the bay will be closed?
Yeah, Dunk Spores and Vithracks are a pain but you can bypass spores on level 11 and you have to deal with a relatively small number of Vithracks on 12. My problem is the dragon since I'm not prepared to possess an unwilling dragon hunter.

One of the issues is also that most of the general talents, offensive and defensive ones are just garbage.

The weapon spec and the style spec and the modal ones aren't bad.
But for casters there is almost nothing in there.
+damage against a special enemy type would be useful if you'd already know which type of enemy will cause problems in the future. But to increase it just to kill some enemies which are already no problem doesn't make much sense.

For the passive ones it's similar. Just that these are also only increasing your defense by a tiny amount. Mental fortress gives you +10 against mental status effects. That's not enough to have an actual impact.

That way level 10 was the most unspectacular level up I had yet and I guess level 12 wont be better.

So, I finally finished act 2 last night. Did everything I possibly could and advanced time a lot by traveling to the stronghold for resting.

I've managed to kill more than 1500 enemies already. Can that be accurate? And I try to avoid killing people when I can…. But you know what needs to be done when clearing a zone of monsters… ;)

Yes there are MANY trash mobs in this game. I HOPE they don't all respawn after act changes.... :?

Last edited:
1477 enemies at the end of act 2 (+14 levels of Endless Path)
Most enemies defeated (398) Kadehern (PC);
Total damage done (34499) Kadehern;
Most hits (2468) Kadehern;
Most crits (947) Kadehern… on the other hand
Most time knocked unconscious (10) Kadehern… my excuse is pathing and I'm sticking to it! But three blunderbusses still rule :)

haha were you playing solo? with KOs, I guess not. :)

BTW, now both of the party ciphers use blunderbusses. One-shotting enemies while getting an almost full charge of focus is great, except in battles when they have to shoot twice to recharge (which are very rare). :)

1477 enemies at the end of act 2 (+14 levels of Endless Path)
Most enemies defeated (398) Kadehern (PC);
Total damage done (34499) Kadehern;
Most hits (2468) Kadehern;
Most crits (947) Kadehern… on the other hand
Most time knocked unconscious (10) Kadehern… my excuse is pathing and I'm sticking to it! But three blunderbusses still rule :)

I only finished 10 levels on endless path and just arrived in Twin Elms:
Enemies killed: 1947
Most enemies defeated (718) Kordanor;
Total damage done (96274) Kordanor;
Most hits (4169) Durance;
Most crits (652) Kordanor
Highest Single Target Damage: (173) Kordanor
Most time knocked out: none

Guess you can tell from the numbers that I am playing on PoTD and my main is a rogue. ^^

Second is Aloth with half the damage. Eder has a third of the damage.

He couldn't even get simple facts right
Your free rest hall is behind 4 loading screens.
You can even hold prisoners in a prison, and it has no effect on the game whatsoever.
So take it with quite a few grains of salt.

Not to say that the review is totally worthless, as it does bring up some relevant criticisms and led me to think if Kickstarter stretch goals should ever be expected to deliver anything more than tacked on content.

There are many other good points as well. Just ignore the passionate exaggerations. Though it's hard to pick those out if you haven't already played the game. :/

Last edited:
Yes, how dare he, it's only 3 loading screens!! :)

Well everything about the stronghold is a big minus in this game. I did enjoy the Endless Paths (which is not Durlag Tower at all but I never liked DT) but what is above it is a big failure when compared to BG2 or even NWN2.

Stronghold really is a disappointment, without a doubt. It's pretty but that's not enough. The benefits are meager, except maybe the cash and ingredients. Though haven't had the need to buy or craft much so far. The bounties, not sure what they add except experience and some unique loot?

Again, a stretch goal that feels disconnected from the main game.

Yes, how dare he, it's only 3 loading screens!! :)

Since every area is behind a loading screen it's 2 screens really isn't it? But yeah, PCs bed should have been located on the ground floor AND there should have been some bonus stacking as well.

Back
Top Bottom