Turn Based Lovers - Top 15 PC Open World RPGs & Strategy Games

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
The Turn Based Lovers assembled a list of the top 15 PC open world RPGs & Strategy Games to play in 2022:

Top 15 PC Open World RPGs & Strategy Games to play in 2022

So, here are 15 PC Open World Tactical RPGs & Strategies you must play, with hours and hours of entertainment. Even if some are still in Early Access, all of them are very enjoyable. Just be careful: your free time is at risk :)

• 00:00 Intro
  • 00:39 XCOM Series
  • 1:12 Xenonauts
  • 1:48 Battle Brothers
  • 2:39 Divinity: Original Sins 2
  • 3:16 Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire
  • 3:58 Baldur's Gate 3
  • 4:32 Phoenix Point
  • 5:11 Wasteland 3
  • 5:49 Urtuk: The Desolation
  • 6:28 Encased
  • 7:10 Wildermyth
  • 8:02 Wartales
  • 8:46 Expeditions: Rome
  • 9:41 The Iron Oath
  • 10:29 Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate - Daemonhunters
  • 11:10 Outro
More information.

Same recycled games I see in most lists. These top lists are boring.:(

Either that our the RPG genre is stale right now with well known games.

Not all of our visitors check the Watch on a daily basis - I think it's a nice compilation.

My point is still valid every written article and YouTube video list has the same games. Your point is valid to but as for me I've seen the same lists hundreds of time already.

Really no offense meant, and please ignore my opinion.:)

My point is still valid every written article and YouTube video list has the same games. Your point is valid to but as for me I've seen the same lists hundreds of time already.

No need to apologise or anything of the sort. Like you say it is a common enough list. As hiddenx says it is useful to newcomers.

From the bunch I would highly recommend
XCOM2 and Battle Brothers.

Also, weird that Solasta didn't make the list. I guess the term Open World is just as nebulous as the term RPG :lol:

Oh man, you should try searching lists for City Builders *shudders*

I tried again yesterday & it's the same lists they were 5 years ago, same old series with the odd weird novelty game stuffed in for variance sake:

Cities Skylines, SIMCity3000 (or whatever), Tropico (latest one), latest Anno game, Banished (even though you don't build any cities, just a small village, town at best), Pharaoh (or any of that millennium era series), Frostpunk, roller coaster tycoons, theme hospital variants & then some random cheesy mobile looking thing/s with WoW graphics.

Love me some XCOM, but "open world"?

In XCOM2 you fly around the world aboard the Avenger doing missions in many countries and continents. More "open world" than that, impossible!! :p (joking)

Wartales and Expeditions: Rome got on that list pretty fast. Still have to play both of those.

there is only ever one game i played on insane diff and that is Expeditions: Rome.
what a great game, starting over for the 4th time. only battle brothers beat that number.

Missing some pearls like Mutant Year Zero but in general hard to argue that's a good list that hits all nuanced tastes for people who like that type of game.

Not the most new or exciting list as others mentioned, but I prefer that over forcing in bad, obscure games just to appear like hipsters that know better than everyone else. What's not good is not good and that's the end of it.

It does me good to continue to hear such praise of Expeditions: Rome. I really enjoy the prior two games in the series and once I see Rome at a decent discount, it shall be mine to abuse!

Well, usually the best games have the most consensus among gamers, so it's normal that those appear in a lot of those top lists.

They're still useful, for newbies on the genre or for people that are more casual gamers (in the sense that they don't play many games and don't actively seek news about the subject).

Those are obviously quality games for the most part, but it's an odd mix. Imo, he'd be better off adding a few more titles and splitting it into separate videos for RPG and strategy.

I agree but if they’re going with the “top” games then there’s not much room for deviation.

Missing some pearls like Mutant Year Zero but in general hard to argue that's a good list that hits all nuanced tastes for people who like that type of game.

indeed, another great game !

Back
Top Bottom