BG3 Turn-based or RtwP or something new?

Baldur's gate 3

Preferred combat system

• turn-based

Votes: 25 58.1%
  • real time with pause

Votes: 9 20.9%
  • something new

Votes: 9 20.9%

• Total voters
Yeah agree with purpleblob on this one. TB in Deadfire is fun except for the ship boarding fights, which happen too often, are all far too similar, and drag on and on in TB mode with so many characters to take turns. I assume boarding combat works better in RTwP because it wouldn't go on so long. Aside from that I thought TB worked well though.

I'm going to be the heretic and say, I want action combat! Something like Final Fantasy 15 with how the companions in that game react and a sort of hybrid "RPG-first and RPG-based" action system. My idea BG3 is a huge open-world Faerun with a good D&D implementation and action combat. :)

All Heretics shall burn in eternal fire!! :)

I'm going to be the heretic and say, I want action combat! Something like Final Fantasy 15 with how the companions in that game react and a sort of hybrid "RPG-first and RPG-based" action system. My idea BG3 is a huge open-world Faerun with a good D&D implementation and action combat. :)
Well then lets burn together comrade because I agree with you. As I made my opinion many times about Larian's use of their element based hectic Turn-based combat.

Anyway past games were RTwP don't f***k with the formula.

Well elements have nothing to do with TBS or RTwP; you can have elements with both and have both without elements so I think you are diluting your opinion by bringing up something not relevant.

As for myself i generally prefer tbs but RTwP can be just fine; personally i hope they do something like poe-ii and have the option for either one to make everyone happy (of course some people won't be happy that there is an option but whatever you can't please everyone).

Well then lets burn together comrade because I agree with you. As I made my opinion many times about Larian's use of their element based hectic Turn-based combat.

Anyway past games were RTwP don't f***k with the formula.

Whatever You the problem is most watchers on this forum prefer Turn-based RPGs. As for me I want action based combat. Whether it's RTwP or pure action I don't care.

Yes I said it as slow turn-based combat does nothing for me nowadays and Larian's past two games just dragged on. Literally took 20-30 minutes each damn fight.

As I said already past Baldur's Gate games were RTwP don't freaking change it.:mad:
Then we shall burn together my friend! Action! Action! :biggrin:
Amen again maybe Bethesda or CD Project should've got the license.:cool:

Heck even Obsidian at point would of been better.

It could be that this will be a 3rd person over the shoulder action RPG like SKyrim or the Witcher. Then real-time with no pause is a very viable option.

Or even first person, so like a Skyrim with companions. That would be sa-weet. :nod:

Or even first person, so like a Skyrim with companions. That would be sa-weet. :nod:
If I had the money I would fund such a game. I mean it an open world RPG set in Faerûn or even Dark Sun sounds wonderful. To bad its always Isometric party-based RPGs.:(

Considering that I'm not a big fan of either Baldur's gate or any of the Larian games I've played I don't really have a strong opinion.I don't enjoy RTwP but also didn't really enjoy D:OS elemental goo explosion based battles with talking inanimate objects much either.

But if they tried something new I might be interested. The one thing I'd like to see more RPG developers try is simultaneously executed turns Hasn't been tried a whole lot to my knowledge, especially not in RPGs. Might feel a bit faster paced than the more common squad based TB systems. Definitely more chaotic but probably with less of the wtf is going on? minsc running the wrong way again! issues of RTwP games.

Not sure if that would work well with D&D rules but they can adapt D&D to RTwp why not simultaneous turns. I've also seen some people far more familiar with 5e rules than I am claim some aspects of the ruleset really wouldn't work well with any sort of RT system. I'm not sure if that's true, my only experience with 5e is playing the Solasta demo; but from that brief exposure, I could see how the reactions and advantage / disadvantage stuff might be hard to account for in a RT game.

Yeah Solasta is quickly becoming one of the few Turn-based RPGs that has my interest.

I think most here know I like my action games but it just doesn’t fit into my idea of true D&D mechanics.

D&D is based on turns and dice rolls which just don’t work well in real time. Even BG’s RTWP combat was based on turns. 6 seconds= 1 turn.

Even the dark alliance dev’s said in their interview that real time doesn’t work with D&D rule set and they basically had to make their own.

A straight translation of the turn-based 5th Edition D&D system wouldn’t be practical for an action-RPG. So like the old Baldur’s Gate: Dark Alliance games, this affair will be an adaptation of the rules. “It’s our own system that we’ve built,” Hattem said, noting that Tuque is trying to be faithful to D&D

At that point, at least to me it’s not really D&D. TOEE is still the most faithful adaptation of the rule set imo and I hope they do something along those lines.

I don't mind if it's not a direct implementation of D&D if they go the action route, as long as combat is based heavily on stats and dice rolls.

Inflated stats aside, Pathfinder Kingmaker is damn near close to PnP rules - it's why the turn-based mod works so well. And it's utterly brilliant.

As soon as you start taking liberties and "interpreting" things, the door opens up for poorly thought-out & improvised mechanics - mechanics that have otherwise soured Larian RPGs in the past like seas of Cursed Fire Clouds and binary armor systems.

Haven't read the rest of the thread.

Kingmaker TB mod definitely demonstrated how it's fully possible to do both at the same time.

Except, of course, that RTwP in Kingmaker is pretty terrible - all things considered.

I mean, you have no way to customize your AI - and so you have to rely on the ultra simplistic one that's provided for you, meaning you have to constantly pause the game.

PoE 2 and, say, Dragon Age demonstrated how to do RtWP properly - with user-scripts.

As for BG3 - it would be a very deadly sin indeed NOT to include TB combat, seeing as how D:OS2 was so fantastic in that specific way.

No, the obvious answer has to be that they need to do both - and they have no excuse not to do both well.

And it would work, too. You just have to look at the Dragon Age games which started off wanting to be BG spiritual successors and ended up more or less action games. All you need is to replace the MMO cooldown rotation combat of DA with something more souls-like and less tab-targeting.

Sounds like someone is having issues controlling all 6 party members on their own :)

Yes, the issue is that I don't enjoy it as much as you do :)

Can you forgive me for not loving everything about Kingmaker? If you can find it in your heart to do so, we might avoid going in circles about it.

Yes, the issue is that I don't enjoy it as much as you do :)

Can you forgive me for not loving everything about Kingmaker? If you can find it in your heart to do so, we might avoid going in circles about it.

I was talking about DA and PoE2 AI stuff, but ok :)

Back
Top Bottom