Turn Based RPG With 5-8 Character Party And Expansive Affliction/DoT Options

Told to post this here. Also someone recommended Etryian Odyssey which seems kinda close, probably the closest I've heard of. Am personally not a fan of the art style but will look at class guides at least and maybe get over it. However it doesn't quite get there.

This is probablya very specific request. I'd like a turn based RPG where you've got more than 3-4 people and where there's lots of options for non-standard magical Paths.

GW1 probably has the most synergy based "Affliction" system I've seen with bleed, poison, disease, and a couple more effects. Sadly it is an ARPG, mmo, caps characters at 8 skills, and has limited control magic options.

The Owlcat Pathfinder games meet several of the qualifications but now the key one, which is longer battles, 10-40 "turns/ticks", with expansive affliction/dot/debuff magic. Furthermore they are typically played with pre-buffing, and their buffs are kinda lame aside from Haste. +2 to ability scores or the size up/down spells.

I'd like to see something like, specifically for affliction magic, casting an acid spell or fatigue/shadow or bleed spell on a target, which opens them up to poison and disease and rot and so forth. Maybe some spells requires lots of "marks" from other abilities to allow them to target so you can't do those first but they have a stronger effect.

I'd accept even something like the GW1 system with more abilities, though, cause I don't wanna be too picky.

Would be, optionally, nice if you could do stacking control effects as well and the limited on just perma stunlocking would be resources like mana and such. The best individual spells would cost a lot so you couldn't just cast them on repeat.

Now I hate to be the asshole here but you can keep the discussion to one thread. You don't need to keep opening new threads to get feedback for your game, or questions.

Now I hate to be the asshole here but you can keep the discussion to one thread. You don't need to keep opening new threads to get feedback for your game, or questions.
This isn't for feedback. The question is sincere. I got a few answers in other places like r/rpggamers on reddit who suggested Etrian Odyssey, which has offputting graphics but does seem kinda close. Several people suggested Wizardry 8 which makes me think I didn't provide a specific enough question.

Several people suggested Wizardry 8 which makes me think I didn't provide a specific enough question.
In what ways does Wizardry 8 not meet your criteria? You can get up to 8 party members. Many battles are very drawn-out (more so than any other RPG I can think of), and I seem to recall a good variety of buffs and debuffs that could be cast during battle.

In what ways does Wizardry 8 not meet your criteria? You can get up to 8 party members. Many battles are very drawn-out (more so than any other RPG I can think of), and I seem to recall a good variety of buffs and debuffs that could be cast during battle.
Have you played Etrian Odyssey or GW1?

I think the Alchemist in Wizardry 8 has some dot and affliction spells but far less than GW1. And they don't really synergize or stack. Some of the buffs and debuffs are interesting but very few.

As I noted it is possible it is my fault for not being specific enough to exclude Wizardry 8 type games. I guess I was thinking more people played GW1 and would be able to use that example as a reference.

And what's GW1 you keep saying? Guild Wars 1?

The Codex came up with 2 or 3 games that mostly qualify, though they are contemporary/near future and I prefer fantasy. One of them is a weeb thing but it is like an 85% match so I might have to endure the cringe.

Trouble Shooters: Abandoned Children specifically. They also suggested Starcrawlers but while the Hacker is half decent there's nothing else and you only get 4 characters.

One of them is a weeb thing but it is like an 85% match so I might have to endure the cringe.
Isn't Etrian Odyssey pretty weebish? It sounds like you played that one.

Trouble Shooters: Abandoned Children specifically. They also suggested Starcrawlers but while the Hacker is half decent there's nothing else and you only get 4 characters.
I actually thought of StarCrawlers since you mentioned you were looking for synergy with the debuffs and dot abilities, but I didn't mention it because of the party limit.

You might have to turn to a tactical RPG hybrid to find something closer to what you're looking for.

Isn't Etrian Odyssey pretty weebish? It sounds like you played that one.

I actually thought of StarCrawlers since you mentioned you were looking for synergy with the debuffs and dot abilities, but I didn't mention it because of the party limit.

You might have to turn to a tactical RPG hybrid to find something closer to what you're looking for.
I wish it was that simple. Few tactical rpg hybrids have fancy DoT/Affliction based systems because individual units die so fast. Same reason "counter/meta" magic is very uncommon.
Honestly you mostly only see this stuff in very niche litrpgs and often of course they don't use a very "hard" game system even though they claim to be LitRPGs.

Most RPGs and tactical games like even a single control effect landing means that unit gets mashed by burst damage before it can ever do anything. I guess it is my own fault for being picky.

Honestly you mostly only see this stuff in very niche litrpgs and often of course they don't use a very "hard" game system even though they claim to be LitRPGs.
How do LitRPGs have a game system? Aren't they basically just books/stories? I'm not familiar with the genre.

How do LitRPGs have a game system? Aren't they basically just books/stories? I'm not familiar with the genre.
LitRPGs are books that are either about vrmmos, typically, or secondary worlds with game systems, or sometimes post-apocalyptic earth with a game system. Now you the read can't play it, the characters in the story do. Classes, levels, etc. Some are softer where they don't provide any numbers for what abilities do, some are harder.

LitRPGs are books that are either about vrmmos, typically, or secondary worlds with game systems, or sometimes post-apocalyptic earth with a game system. Now you the read can't play it, the characters in the story do. Classes, levels, etc. Some are softer where they don't provide any numbers for what abilities do, some are harder.
I can't say I see the appeal, but thanks for explaining it.

I can't say I see the appeal, but thanks for explaining it.
Main appeal is typically game systems that aren't realistic for real life games. Whether that is MMOs or system apocalypses. Fancy classes and stats and skills, titles, abilities, items, etc.

If you are satisfied with all the DnD-likes these days then it probably isn't appealing.

I recommend getting a prime membership on Amazon. As you get access to thousands of LitRPGs. Though half them are adult in nature and quality does vary book to book.

Back
Top Bottom