Uh-Oh, Steam Update

lackblogger

SasqWatch
Just a normal Steam Update, as per usual. Clicked yes, it did it's thing & then suddenly:

"Please enter your username and password" on a different screen to normal.

I close it. What's going on here?

I open steam, same pop-up appears.

I enter my email address and password as per normal. No! It specifically wants my Username!

Ohhh, I never use my Username. Steam never uses my Username. Whenever I type in discussions or have a steam profile, it always uses my email name. It never uses my username anywhere.

Lucky I actually remember my username. And how to spell it.

Others might not be so lucky.

General warning.

Just a normal Steam Update, as per usual. Clicked yes, it did it's thing & then suddenly:

"Please enter your username and password" on a different screen to normal.

I close it. What's going on here?

I open steam, same pop-up appears.

I enter my email address and password as per normal. No! It specifically wants my Username!

Ohhh, I never use my Username. Steam never uses my Username. Whenever I type in discussions or have a steam profile, it always uses my email name. It never uses my username anywhere.

Lucky I actually remember my username. And how to spell it.

Others might not be so lucky.

General warning.
I forced a shutdown and restart of the Steam client, and it updated but was not prompted to re-login.

Do you have a screenshot of the new login screen? And you're sure it was the official steam client and weren't infected by some malware trying to spoof the Steam login? I can't remember the last time the steam login screen changed. It must have been some time now.

I'll attempt to log out and back in after work.

gh9UFlb.png

And after I'd done this it sent a code to my associated email address for verification.

I just logged out of Steam and back in & it's the same screen again, but no verification needed.

So I hope everyone remembers the details of the email addy they used to start using Steam however many years ago as well!

gh9UFlb.png

And after I'd done this it sent a code to my associated email address for verification.

I just logged out of Steam and back in & it's the same screen again, but no verification needed.

So I hope everyone remembers the details of the email addy they used to start using Steam however many years ago as well!
Do you also have SteamGuard enabled? I assume if you do, you no longer get sent the 2FA code to the email address.

EDIT: I just logged out of Steam, and I indeed also got the same login window. But I tried to login using my steam username, not my email, and it worked. It also asked for the SteamGuard code.

EDIT2: Actually, seems I misread your original post. I always use my steam username and not my email address to login. I guess it is a bit confusing, considering there is also the steam community id that you have, which is also different from the steam username.

EDIT2: Actually, seems I misread your original post. I always use my steam username and not my email address to login. I guess it is a bit confusing, considering there is also the steam community id that you have, which is also different from the steam username.
Yes, that's the weird thing about Steam.

When you first sign up, it asks for a Username, or "Account Name". So you spend ages thinking of a cool name.

Then it never uses it for anything ever again & it just uses your email name for everything.

I don't think I've ever used a website that has ever done that before or since.

I've no doubt there's going to be people somewhere in the world being greeted with this screen and scratching their heads with "My Account Name?".

Then it never uses it for anything ever again & it just uses your email name for everything.
From my experience and speaking technically, from a privacy and security point of view, the way Steam does it (at least with regards to having 3 different entities: internal username, public username and email, but still not knowing all the ins and outs of what they do with them) is probably the most sound. But it does lead to a lot of confusion.

The email address is considered personally identifyable information and should be restricted to a lot of people, including Steam employees. Ideally no humans should see that email address, unless something critical happens and it needs to be uncovered.

Which is why the internal username is usually used to refer to you as a user, but without divulging anything about you. It should be the main way to identify yourself, since the email can change and even worst someone can take your email address. And not even illegally. It all depends on the email provider's platform and how they handle unused addresses (ex, the email provider might delete my account on my request, and you come back and create a new one using the same name. but no one told steam that. so you could impersonate someone). Ideally Steam needs to maintain your identity using something fully under their control. The username is usually that because it is a stable identifier, since the email address can change. The email address should at best be contact information. Unfortunately a lot of platforms just equate the email address to the username. For convenience purposes. Which is hard to blame, especially for their users. And also unfortunately a lot of platforms use the email provider that you use for other security flows (like resetting passwords). So basically they hang part of the security of their own platforms on however secure the email provider is. Unfortunately there's not really a solid alternative for this, from what I know. At best you can deny some email providers which you refuse to trust.

And then the public username (or steam community id) is what you as a steam user want to be referred to publicly, on the steam platform. Which is linked internally to your internal username, but ideally should not be traceable back to your internal username by people outside of working for Steam.

All of this is not say that there's a way to handle all of this. As a platform you constantly have to balance usability and how much pain you put your users through against security concerns. But I've derailed the subject too much.

Last edited:
I got the new screen for the first time now, i always log in with the username, so no problems for me; its useful for steamguard, no need to hit enter after writing the code.

Somehow related to the steam client and upgrades, is anyone noticing input lag in the chat boxes you type text in, when talking with people on Steam? I used to notice it once in a while. But now it's pretty much constant. I can't type in that window. I need to type outside, and then just paste it in. Fucking annoying.

Back
Top Bottom