Urban Strife - (Demo) First Look/Preview by Kordanor

Redglyph

SasqWatch
@Kordanor has a first look at the last demo of Urban Strife.

A look into Prologue-Demo of Urban Strife, a tactics game which takes the realistic approach of combats from Jagged Alliance and puts it into a zombie-apocalypse setting like Dead State.

To my other Urban Strife video: https://youtu.be/Bv-a2_ay3rw

Setting: Hardcore

Developer: White Pond Games

Publisher: Microprose

More information.

Thanks for posting!
Had a lot of fun with the demo. Especially the ballistics are fun to play with (see thumbnail) ^^

Urban Strife might be the next Jagged Alliance, especially in case JA3 fails. I mean I hope JA3 doesnt fail, but it feels like the devs hear are putting an almost unreasonable effort into the game, pretty much like the original JA devs did.

Thanks for posting!
Had a lot of fun with the demo. Especially the ballistics are fun to play with (see thumbnail) ^^

Urban Strife might be the next Jagged Alliance, especially in case JA3 fails. I mean I hope JA3 doesnt fail, but it feels like the devs hear are putting an almost unreasonable effort into the game, pretty much like the original JA devs did.
Thanks for the video :) I had some fun too, this game has a lot to please!

I haven't followed JA3 but it looks good, and indeed long in the making. One of those series with a lot of different developers and publishers too.

Ah, sorry, guess what I wrote was a bit misleading. I mean the Urban Strife devs :D
They are working on the game at least since 2016 already, probably longer as in 2016 they already had some nice looking screenshots on their webpage.

I'm a lot more interested in this than JA3. A lot of that has to do with the setting, but I also like that we're facing multiple human factions plus the undead.

I had no idea this had been in development since 2016. I don't think I heard about it prior to last year.

The only thing I didn't like in the demo was some of the intentional silliness. For example, a faction called The Legion wearing old Roman empire helmets :rolleyes:. I hope those guys are just a placeholder for the demo.

It looks a lot like vigilantes.

I'm a lot more interested in this than JA3. A lot of that has to do with the setting, but I also like that we're facing multiple human factions plus the undead.

I had no idea this had been in development since 2016. I don't think I heard about it prior to last year.

The only thing I didn't like in the demo was some of the intentional silliness. For example, a faction called The Legion wearing old Roman empire helmets :rolleyes:. I hope those guys are just a placeholder for the demo.

Haha, yeah, I get what you mean. I think the chinese lady might also have been a bit over the top.
Regarding Legion: That came up in discord and they are not just a placeholder. However they intend to do some (likely minor) changes due to the similarity to Fallout New Vegas.

Regarding Legion: That came up in discord and they are not just a placeholder. However they intend to do some (likely minor) changes due to the similarity to Fallout New Vegas.

Yeah, that was another thing I didn't like about them. The similarity to Caesar's Legion was too obvious.

Did you encounter any bugs in your playthrough? Combat sometimes got stuck on an enemy's turn forcing me to close the game. It only happened in the Port area.

I also had the same issue in the port area ones with game lockup during enemy turn. That's visible on my German Playthrough (which is still being uploaded)
Besides of that no serious bugs.
The only other one, which you can also see at any point when you click into the video of the last 1/3 or so is that the weapon graphics for one gun were broken. But thats a cosmetical bug which should be super easy to fix.
Also the inactivity of enemies at some point is kidn of a "bug". I mean in the end it's bad AI behaviour but on discord it was mentioned thats due to a miscalulation of enemies overwatching. So that could be considered as another bug, but also one which seems to be already being fixed.

Wonder what the intended release date is? It was 2021 but I don't see that happening.

Steam is stating 2022. But I dont even see that happening unless with release they mean Early Access Release.

Steam is stating 2022. But I dont even see that happening unless with release they mean Early Access Release.
Thanks it's what I figured as I've been following the game for a few years already but stopped. So if they go the EA route it'll probably be stuck on EA for a year or two as well.

Wonder why when they have a publisher funding the game all ready?

Well, publisher can have various roles.
A publisher can do a game from scratch or even "order" it, like in the case of Jagged Alliance 3. A publisher can also just publish a game in a specific region without doing much else than putting it in stores, like with JA 2 Wildfire. A publisher can also do press work and adverts but thats not a necessity.

I guess in this case they teamed up to get additional funding. And I think for Microprose its a cool old school project. I definitely see this as win-win situation.

Still if you have a publisher funding development I don't see the need for EA. Unless you want feedback, testing, and more income. Still Microprose probably doesn't mind.

As most of their other published games are also on Early Access. Still I'll stop going off-topic about that, and say thanks for the videos & answers to my question above.

Microprose might not be fully funding it. I doubt they (Microprose) have a lot of money behind them.

I have to contest that as the current owner of the Microprose name is very rich. Mostly in-part to making flight simulators & software for the government, and other games.
In 2019, the MicroProse brand (then owned by Cybergun) was purchased and revived by David Lagettie, one of the makers of TitanIM open world military simulation software. Lagettie was a former developer for Bohemia Interactive at their Australian studios before starting his own company to create video game simulators to be used by military groups. Lagettie had been a fan of the original MicroProse games growing up, and as he saw the games ownership transition made the company eventually disappear, he started investigating the fate of MicroProse around 2005. When possible, he began buying whatever IP from MicroProse he could, including the name and original logo trademarks, allowing him to establish the new MicroProse as a games publisher by 2019. Lagettie's acquisitions drew the attention of Stealey, who subsequently inquired Lagettie about his plans, leading to Stealey joining Lagettie in an unofficial manner in the new MicroProse.
Also they scrapped the idea of going the Early Access route last year.
We dropped the EA idea since it wasn't helping much. We'll have to update the trailer and everything else that still mentions EA. We hope to get the game done by Q3 2021 completely instead.

We are also planning various ways to get early builds to the players, but without them having to pay for them. A free demo is a good example and is planned.

This one definitely interest me. If the best upcoming "Jagged Alliance" game doesn't have the "Jagged Alliance" named, it would follow many other once great series, like Wizardry and Fallout.

I generally don't watch videos like this, yet made an exception for this one. Looks really nice, I'd agree with the earlier thought that it resembles Vigilantes, which I mean as a high compliment. Thanks for posting this!

Back
Top Bottom