Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader - Announced

So they have spent over 200 dollars, got nothing and still have to pay another 20 dollars for a season pass full of bad to average content!

If you think DLCs are not worth it then why do you care whether you got it for free or not? You think its got bad to average content, don't buy it. Simple.

If you think DLCs are not worth it then why do you care whether you got it for free or not? You think its got bad to average content, don't buy it. Simple.

Because I want a complete game? And all the other backers at this tier got it for free?!?!

Kind of a wierd question isn't it?

Yeah, I did get the free season pass.

The ingame shots look so similar to WotR/Kingmaker and that has me really excited. Love the idea of a sci-fi crpg with the same systems. I also love me some 40k.

I really liked the original setting when I was a kid, and always wanted a to see a proper RPG from them. It was kind of a mashup of Frank Herbert and Lovecraft, with a dark humour aesthetic from the 2000AD comics. A similar cynical kind of idea, where the 'heroes' were actually brutish, fundamentalist loonies themselves - a bit like the Judge Dredd concept.

Just watched the trailer... in-game footage look very similar to Pathfinder so I'm guessing they are still using Unity engine?

Just watched the trailer… in-game footage look very similar to Pathfinder so I'm guessing they are still using Unity engine?
Yep looks the same as both Pathfinder games. Makes sense to use the same engine. Makes me wonder were the Action RPG and engine switch rumor originated from?:thinking:

Solely from all the job listings on their website…¦
Sure…but why? The game is TB and made using unity. So unless they have a second game in development we don't know. Another member asked the same question.
meh. So that's the big next project?

Turn-based, and I suppose that by "CRPG" they mean isometric-ish view? So I wonder what was the job offer about an action RPG (I can't find it though), maybe a decoy.
So it's not just me but thanks for the reply.

Anyway it they do make an Action RPG next it will be a day one purchase for me.:)

For me the important question is: who is the narrative designer? Please make it Chris Avellone.

Response on twitter was:

@OwlcatGames
·
2h
Mostly the same people who wrote our first two games + some new, but cool hires.

Not a conclusive answer but it sounds like that is a possibility!

That's one I never would have predicted. But I'm pleased to see it.

That's one I never would have predicted. But I'm pleased to see it.

I'd also never guess it as well. I hope they succeed in doing a good game. After all, regardless of the setting or the brand, we all love & need good RPGs.

Warhammer 40k has no appeal to me at all.
Maybe because of that I think this is a horrible trailer. Besides the technical progression there seems to be no progression in the way content is conveyed for some studios since the beginning of video game development. It's just too primitive for me.
Video games still have a long way to go to be at par with other forms of media. Everytime you see some progression, there is something like this trailer...

I accept and understand I'm in the minority, but I was disappointed that while we are finally getting a supposedly proper CRPG out of the warhammer license, it's being made by owlcat.

The two Pathfinder games were ok, but cluttered and had too many extraneous features that, in my opinion, made playing them a chore. I suppose this one will have me going back into my ship to manage my crewmates, feed them, solve petty disputes, and have huge ship-to-ship battles where I spend 5 hours trying not to fail so as to not have my entire game end.

Or I guess grit my teeth and shut the modes off and lose half the character development and story.

/grumpy old man mode over

The two Pathfinder games were ok, but cluttered and had too many extraneous features that, in my opinion, made playing them a chore. I suppose this one will have me going back into my ship to manage my crewmates, feed them, solve petty disputes, and have huge ship-to-ship battles where I spend 5 hours trying not to fail so as to not have my entire game end.

It's a fair enough view and one that I do partially agree with. As someone who has read the Kingmaker AP (but not played it) Owlcat did make it more burdensome that it needed to be. What was worse is a lot of the busy work often didn't have any payoff. Building up towns did very little apart from a few "+"'s and "-"'s to kingdom management stats and the ability to teleport around. If you build a magic shop why couldn't you visit it in the town. Town maps were heavily reused which made visiting them boring.

Sometimes more focus and less content results in a better product i.e. less re-use of maps. Less "systems" that are only there for the sake of it. Less combat (final act). Focus on the cool encounters, interesting maps, great hand-crafted loot and meaningful quests! Note: I think they did a good job on these things.

They should of made the kingdom management far more predictable and less random. The DC checks should of been replaced with a simple stat based check and cards should of been less frequent and come on a certain day of the month. In the AP you have a GM who can intervene and make sure that you don't mess up. All the quests while trying to deal with the event cards just made it a chore. Some things in tabletop need adjusting for the video game medium. Better yet, it should of been more configurable.

Just watched the trailer… in-game footage look very similar to Pathfinder so I'm guessing they are still using Unity engine?

It does, doesn't it? I suppose it wouldn't make sense to make a mockup in Unity just to see how it looks? They do that sometimes for demos, marketing or to test ideas (IIRC BioWare did it with one of their early game), but I doubt it.

There are still several job offers for Unreal, so they definitely want to switch for something. And there is virtually no code they could re-use in Unreal because it's not only another engine, it's an entirely different language too.

Back
Top Bottom