Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader - Announced

40k cRPG for the first time? YES!
Turn-based? Sign me up!
Owlcat? 1st day purchase .... and probably 1st play 6 months later, cause... you know...

Im thrilled about this, cant wait to see and hear more about it. Would be even better if it was "normal" Warhammer setting, but whatever. Such a great time to be cRPG fan.

While WH40K's martial narrative on steroids never seemed very appealing, the setting itself is nice enough, so a TB, party-based RPG is very welcome and together with the trading ship as "base" right down Owlbear's alley.

But what's the matter with the repeated "c" in cRPG? If that's on purpose, how does this differ from the "C" in CRPG?

But what's the matter with the repeated "c" in cRPG? If that's on purpose, how does this differ from the "C" in CRPG?
In the teaser they call it a "classic CRPG". I suppose they didn't want to write cCRPG and/or want to coin a new term in order to differentiate the game from other CRPG flavors.

As said before, most people use "CRPG" for "classic (computer) RPG" these days.

RPGs have been on computers for enough decades to drop the 'C' of "computer" when the context is obvious. ;)

While WH40K's martial narrative on steroids never seemed very appealing, the setting itself is nice enough, so a TB, party-based RPG is very welcome and together with the trading ship as "base" right down Owlbear's alley.

I think one is classic and other is computer rpg but no one ever seems to know.

As said before, most people use "CRPG" for "classic (computer) RPG" these days.
That's just crazy talk. :p

… or not? There even seem to be articles about this on the interwebs:
https://www.makeuseof.com/what-does-crpg-mean/
Although people have thrown the terms "old school" and "Classic RPG" around online for years to describe these games, the latter is the one that stuck. Just as modern role playing video games claimed the acronym RPG for themselves, people are calling old school RPGs "CRPGs" now.
I'm flabbergasted. And what does this all mean? Do we have to adjust now?! And if so, how?

I think now next to the CRPG analyzer we also need a cRPG analyzer and an RPG analyzer?

I'm getting flashbacks to another thread were the you-tuber had his own terms for the genre. Like I said before genre and terms evolve and it's not always for the best.

I usually use CRPG for RPGs designed for just the PC that clone old school RPGs. Though nowadays just RPG, and it's various sub-genres is used mostly. Yep it's confusing.

Just remember no one can come to a consensus on what an RPG even is nowadays.:biggrin:

I think now next to the CRPG analyzer we also need a cRPG analyzer and an RPG analyzer?
I wondered, briefly. Then I figured that they are, for our intents and purposes, the same thing.

On topic: Nice. I never got into Warhammer / 40k, in part because the game types didn't interest me, but this might actually be my eventual introduction to the setting.

Despite being bummed as I said earlier in my last comment, I can't help but be partially ecstatic. As when you look back at this IP you see nothing but mediocre games released.

Finally a decent developer who has shown they can make hardcore RPGs has stepped up. It helps it's not another FPS or strategy game as well. So don't mess up Owlcat.

Also production seems to be far along it they can offer alpha access now and beta next year. So here's hoping it gets released before Baldur's Gate 3. Zing yes I went there.:p

I think this is the first Warhammer 40k rpg style game...I'm definately in.

They've replaced the KS with founder pack editions pre-sales. Basically the same without the campaign, and there's still a paying alpha & beta access, so it seems to work well.

https://roguetrader.owlcat.games/preorder/en/compare

On topic: Nice. I never got into Warhammer / 40k, in part because the game types didn't interest me, but this might actually be my eventual introduction to the setting.

It's about the same for me.

I'm a little worried about the story, but we'll see when it's out.

I wondered, briefly. Then I figured that they are, for our intents and purposes, the same thing.
Yeah, well... that should have been a joke. :|

Another thing about the setting and announcement is the part about ruling your own small empire/fiefdom. So it sounds like management will be in the game again.

They've replaced the KS with founder pack editions pre-sales. Basically the same without the campaign, and there's still a paying alpha & beta access, so it seems to work well.

https://roguetrader.owlcat.games/preorder/en/compare
Can't blame them with the fees with Kickstarter. Anyway they don't need crowdfunding as both past games sold well enough, and I believe they have other investors.

Seems it's just a way to make extra money to sell Early Access that's all.

Back
Top Bottom