Warhammer 40K: Chaos Gate - Released

I'm not sure what's canon, but in past games at least I've gotten more of a morally grey vibe from the space marines. They always seemed like they would be just as happy burning down a town for heresy as fighting space orcs.

I am honestly not that familar with the Warhammer 40k Universe and story so I don't know. All I was saying was based on my first impressions of the Grey Knights in the game, how they talk, and how they always seem ready to do a glorious sacrifice for their side, and so on.

Well, I've seen and heard enough at this point to know I'm definitely getting this. It's replaced King Arthur as the next tactical game I plan on playing.

I'm surprised the Steam reviews aren't more positive though. It's currently sitting at "Mixed" despite the vast majority of critic reviews being very positive.

Addendum, re: how well it runs.

Better than X-Com 2 does for me, actually. I get some severe frame rate drops at the beginnings of cutscenes sometimes, but overall it's fine, and during battles I have no issues at all. I have the graphics settings mostly on high, except for shadows on medium and anti-aliasing turned off (I rarely see the point of anti-aliasing in any game; it just makes things look blurry). Considering I have only an AMD FX-8350 processor and an AMD RX480 graphics card, that's pretty good.
Wow, that's great performance!

Well, after the impressions here, I went for it.
I really enjoy this kind of game usually such as XCOM & Gears Tactics.

I am currently pleasantly surprised. I feel like they've tried to mash up some of the good features from a few games together using an established lore.

Some of the nice positives are the ability to execute to receive more AP (like Gears Tactics), a new system to stop you from overwatching the game to death which isn't just a timer (i.e. enemies get stronger if you delay too much), willpower system (which I first saw in Banner Saga) and a few others.

One innovation (at least for me) is the critical wound to death system. Each soldier has a certain number of maximum critical wounds. If you get incapacitated in combat you lose 1 point of that - called Resilience. At 0 the soldier can die. However in the mean time, these critical wounds can become permanent advantages too, making your soldiers stronger (although you need the right building). I need to see how this works, but seems like a nice way of doing things to avoid the XCOM style immediate reload if not on ironman when someone dies.

I have only played for several hours now and I'm not very far (second research level out of 10 or so). I am playing on normal (honest man).

Negatives for now are minor annoyances mostly -
1. Loading screens which pretend to not be loading screens like the ship animations are shitty.
2. Some maps, can be very difficult due to the potential for flanks
3. I like having the ability to get more soldiers (like in XCOM2) in battle - but the game seems limited to 4 only.

3. I like having the ability to get more soldiers (like in XCOM2) in battle - but the game seems limited to 4 only.

I'm surprised to hear we're limited to a squad of 4. Until now, I had assumed that was just the starting squad size and that there would be a way to upgrade the squad later. That's disappointing.

I'm surprised to hear we're limited to a squad of 4. Until now, I had assumed that was just the starting squad size and that there would be a way to upgrade the squad later. That's disappointing.

Maybe there is :D
I've not seen it yet though. Research tree is hidden so don't know if it comes later.

One of the mechanics I really like is how when you kill all active enemies, your marines automatically reload their weapons and have their action points restored to full. Also, when you run into a new group, everyone immediately goes back to full action points. Running into a new group with your last soldier was the #1 way things went south in xcom, and not having to worry about it speeds up a lot of the busy work of moving across the map.

But on the downside, the game is starting to feel repetitive much faster than these games usually do. It also doesn't help that, even playing on Brutal, it's rare that I run into a mission that even feels dangerous. Some of the early fights were more difficult, though more in a worn down through attrition kind of way then in a tense, exciting battles kind of way.

One of the mechanics I really like is how when you kill all active enemies, your marines automatically reload their weapons and have their action points restored to full. Also, when you run into a new group, everyone immediately goes back to full action points. Running into a new group with your last soldier was the #1 way things went south in xcom, and not having to worry about it speeds up a lot of the busy work of moving across the map.

But on the downside, the game is starting to feel repetitive much faster than these games usually do. It also doesn't help that, even playing on Brutal, it's rare that I run into a mission that even feels dangerous. Some of the early fights were more difficult, though more in a worn down through attrition kind of way then in a tense, exciting battles kind of way.

I think they do add some new enemies and mechanics - Maybe on brutal you advance too slowly to see those changes happen ?

One negative for me is the unexplained lore. I am not a Warhammer connoisseur so a lot of what they say is rubbish to me.
It would be nice if they had little pop-ups like in Tyranny :D

From what I've read, it doesn't. :-/

Heck!! Even XCOM 2 allows you to increase your squad size to 6 (after you build Guerrilla Tactics School) :(

I have killed the first big boss now and with all the other mechanisms they've added as well as it being a 3AP system rather than 2AP like in XCOM2, 4 soldiers works relatively well.

Having more soldiers may slow down the game too much.

One of the other interesting mechanisms are called statagems where you can trigger very important changes as one offs per battle. For example immobilise all enemies or give one of your soldiers extra AP.

So, I finished the game. It seemed relatively short when compared to XCOM2 and I enjoyed it a lot for what it was.

I believe the missions did get a bit samey after a while, but they did well to spice them up with the boss fights, which were different whilst still using similar mechanisms.

Overall, I'm unlikely to play this again unless it attracts some interesting mods or DLC, but it's certainly worth a go if you're an XCOM2 fan.

I can go back to Expeditions Rome now :D

Back
Top Bottom