Rogue Trader Warhammer 40K Rogue Trader News

Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader
Here you go - don't ask me what each class is like... I have no idea :p
Thanks, that's exactly what i wanmted. :)
I had hoped that I could google from there...

Ugh, I'm wondering if each W40k doesn't have its own set of rules, and I couldn't find anything public, just a preview of a book but without those classes. Do we have to rely on their tooltips entirely?
Apparently there seem to be some core rules and additional rules/books for different games, Rogue Trader being one of them. But again the classes from @purpleblob 's screenshot aren't found there...
This reddit page has really good summary of everything, including class info
Ah, thanks... so the Adept seems to be the Psyker. These are the guys with magic, which apparently in Warhammer isn't magic, but "magic". :rolleyes:

Apparently there seem to be some core rules and additional rules/books for different games, Rogue Trader being one of them. But again the classes from @purpleblob 's screenshot aren't found there...
It's confusing to me. Since it doesn't match a book specifically made for Rogue Trader, perhaps it means that Owlcat Games made something different, or changed names as you suggest. I'll look at Purple's post more in details later, maybe the answer is there.

It's confusing to me. Since it doesn't match a book specifically made for Rogue Trader, perhaps it means that Owlcat Games made something different, or changed names as you suggest. I'll look at Purple's post more in details later, maybe the answer is there.
Yep, it's confusing. Imho this time Owlcat somehow needs to provide/push a Wiki or something else with information about the ruleset, because they can't rely on the information being publicly available.

Ah, thanks... so the Adept seems to be the Psyker. These are the guys with magic, which apparently in Warhammer isn't magic, but "magic". :rolleyes:
No, adept =/= psyker.

Psyker seem to be a background rather than a class. I have 2 companions who are psyker but one is an adept and the other is fighter(?) - I can't remember but they are different class.

I want to play a psyker rogue trader but Owlcats didn't confirm if we can be one.

I think I heard Owlcat is using their own homebrew rules for rogue trader so I don't think you can find class information on google.

Yep, it's confusing. Imho this time Owlcat somehow needs to provide/push a Wiki or something else with information about the ruleset, because they can't rely on the information being publicly available.
It's not more confusing than playing a game not based on a ruleset. In other words, 99.9% of them. I'm sure they'll explain all relevant mechanics in the game itself.

It's not more confusing than playing a game not based on a ruleset. In other words, 99.9% of them. I'm sure they'll explain all relevant mechanics in the game itself.
I certainly hope so because I'm more confused with this ruleset than Pathfinder ruleset - and I didn't even had to google anything for Pathfinder but with Rogue Trader, I wish there is a guide somewhere

I certainly hope so because I'm more confused with this ruleset than Pathfinder ruleset - and I didn't even had to google anything for Pathfinder but with Rogue Trader, I wish there is a guide somewhere
I'm not a game developer, but it makes sense to me that tutorials/introductory scenes would be one of the last things added; otherwise they'd have to be changed a bunch of times as the game systems were tweaked.

As a tester, if as development goes on systems are still unclear, I'm sure they'd like to have feedback on that sort of thing.

I'm not a game developer, but it makes sense to me that tutorials/introductory scenes would be one of the last things added; otherwise they'd have to be changed a bunch of times as the game systems were tweaked.

As a tester, if as development goes on systems are still unclear, I'm sure they'd like to have feedback on that sort of thing.
Last time they had a part of the tutorial already in alpha I think, then they added more later during the beta. But this time the alpha doesn't include the beginning, players start at level 15, which probably makes the feeling even worse.

I'm sure the feedback will help too.

No, adept =/= psyker.

Psyker seem to be a background rather than a class. I have 2 companions who are psyker but one is an adept and the other is fighter(?) - I can't remember but they are different class.

I want to play a psyker rogue trader but Owlcats didn't confirm if we can be one.

I think I heard Owlcat is using their own homebrew rules for rogue trader so I don't think you can find class information on google.
Yeah, Psykers seem to be all idividuals who are capable of using magic. For me the important thing is that I'd like to play as some kind of caster/wizard guy. Would be a bummer if that wasn't possible.
Well, yes and no. You're right for random cRPGs which aren't backed by an existing (tabletop) game which always had its rules. But that's not the case here. Warhammer 40k has been played for decades and it's obvious to assume that the rules used in the video game are somehow based at or derived from the tabletop rules.

Last time they had a part of the tutorial already in alpha I think, then they added more later during the beta. But this time the alpha doesn't include the beginning, players start at level 15, which probably makes the feeling even worse.

I'm sure the feedback will help too.
Actually WotR alpha started in chap2 but it wasn't a big deal for many of us because we were already familiar with ruleset via Kingmaker.

This time, there is a guide of a sort... but its not enough for me to really understand how class building works and I really botched up all my characters build, so that is diminishing fun factor dramatically.

@Redglyph

I just checked on discord and people say this should be relatively accurate description of classes (info on reddit):
  • Careers in the Alpha: Tier 1: Fighter (Meele Combat), Leader (Buff and Support Skills), Adept(Buffs/Debuffs, Single Target Damage), Soldier (Ranged Damage)
    Tier 2: Assassin - Fighter or Adept (Single Target Damage), Veteran - Fighter or Soldier (Ranged+Meele Damage), Strategist - Leader or Adept (Support, Buffs/Debuffs), Vanguard - Fighter or Leader (Tank, Buffs)
My party is following:
Rogue Trader (ranged dps): Adept+Assassin
Abelard (tank/melee): Fighter+Veteran (I should have chosen either Vanguard or Assassin)
Heinrix (melee with some ranged spell attacks): Fighter+Veteran
Pasqal (melee/ranged dps): Adept+Assassin
Argenta (ranged dps): Soldier+Veteran
Cassia (ranged dps): Leader+Strategist

I really dislike buffing/debuffing in this game... so I would stay away from leader....

Attachments

• 20221209103024_1.jpg
    20221209103024_1.jpg
    415.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 20221209103031_1.jpg
    20221209103031_1.jpg
    413.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 20221209103034_1.jpg
    20221209103034_1.jpg
    414.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 20221209103037_1.jpg
    20221209103037_1.jpg
    410.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 20221209103039_1.jpg
    20221209103039_1.jpg
    412.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 20221209103043_1.jpg
    20221209103043_1.jpg
    412.9 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Like already mentioned I want to play as a Warrior Psyker but based on the setting and it's rules that wont be possible. As Psyker's are put on a tight leash due to chaos influence.

Also your head can explode at random times as well.

If they do tutorial popups like they did in WOTR then I think we'll be in a good place.

Well, yes and no. You're right for random cRPGs which aren't backed by an existing (tabletop) game which always had its rules. But that's not the case here. Warhammer 40k has been played for decades and it's obvious to assume that the rules used in the video game are somehow based at or derived from the tabletop rules.
It's obvious that you're making that assumption, but it doesn't change the point at all. If any game requires you to be familiar with a set of rules outside of the game to play it, it has failed as a game. I don't think Owlcat will fail in that way, any more than they did with the Pathfinder games. There will be copious tooltips and explanations and tutorials to tell us what we need to know to play their game, in their game.

Wow... the writing is really good. So much dilemma and nuance. I already killed off 1 of my companions as a result LOL

Actually WotR alpha started in chap2 but it wasn't a big deal for many of us because we were already familiar with ruleset via Kingmaker.
Maybe it was added later then. I've only played near the end of the alpha, but I'm pretty sure the game started at the same point as the final release (and the beta), with the prologue.
This time, there is a guide of a sort... but its not enough for me to really understand how class building works and I really botched up all my characters build, so that is diminishing fun factor dramatically.
I hope they'll flesh it out later, which is likely with Owlcat Games. I mean, they took a great care about the tutorial and the GUI in WotR, so I suppose it will be the same for Rogue Trader.

It's unfortunate that they didn't provide the testers with a little more though, since their system is home-made or heavily customized.

Unfortunately... Owlcats is still throwing waves of mobs... I hate this.

There are like 30 mobs and they have high initiatives so half of my party is dead before I can even get my turn FFS

Attachments

• 20221209191002_1.jpg
    20221209191002_1.jpg
    536 KB · Views: 5
Back
Top Bottom