Wartales - Roadmap

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Henriquejr spotted the roadmap for the turn-based strategy RPG Wartales:

Wartales Roadmap Update [21/06/2022]

Following up on the release of our 3rd community update last month, we have now finalised our plans for the next couple of updates and have updated our roadmap accordingly!

So check out the newly updated roadmap which details the plans for the next community update, major summer content update and more below...
More information.

That's the game I play most these days. Loving it. It's an open game with lot to explore, tactical battles are fun, arts a really nice, and I love how there are always several ways to solve your problems. For me, it's an improved "Battle Brothers".

Providing these roadmaps is also pretty nice.

Aye I am also enjoying Wartales. Finding it well made and plays great even in EA.

That's the game I play most these days. Loving it. It's an open game with lot to explore, tactical battles are fun, arts a really nice, and I love how there are always several ways to solve your problems. For me, it's an improved "Battle Brothers".

Improved Battle Brothers you say? Now I'm even more intrigued. Trying to hold off as long as possible. This is my most anticipated game by far.

Improved Battle Brothers you say? Now I'm even more intrigued. Trying to hold off as long as possible. This is my most anticipated game by far.

same here, prefer the final over EA.

With all the praise this is getting, I need to give it another try. I wasn't too impressed by the demo, but that was about a year ago, and it looks like they've made some strides since then.

So by that roadmap the game should be a year or more in Early Access then? Good as I'll wait for the full content complete version before I play it. Previews are also positive.

Roadmap is nice and all…but when will I be able to zoom into the world map a little more? The birds eye view being so high up is mildly annoying.

Is it a little like Hard West 2, just a global map, local areas only for tactical combat, and close-up 3D for NPC interaction in other "peaceful" locations like merchant and so on (instead of simple vignettes in HW2)?

mmm i don't know why ppl keep comparing wartales to BB to be honest, feel so much different beside the mercenary "theme".
I'm a long time BB player and i bought wartales and i have to say wartales is more a shallow experience after 40ish hrs i've seen almost everything there was to see but wartales it's still in EA and BB is released and has several dlcs.
For now the only "improved" thing i can notice when playing wartales is graphics all the rest is very limited and narrow if you compare to BB.

mmm i don't know why ppl keep comparing wartales to BB to be honest, feel so much different beside the mercenary "theme".
I'm a long time BB player and i bought wartales and i have to say wartales is more a shallow experience after 40ish hrs i've seen almost everything there was to see but wartales it's still in EA and BB is released and has several dlcs.
For now the only "improved" thing i can notice when playing wartales is graphics all the rest is very limited and narrow if you compare to BB.

Well, they are both tactical RPG where you don't incarnate anyone but control a group of mercenaries that you feed, expand, pay, find job for, build a reputation, etc. They are definitely close relatives.

As for Wartales being an improvement, that is of course, an opinion. Personally, I believe the game is an improvement because I find its tactical combats much more fun, less random. The maps are also pretty fun to explore while Battle Brothers's felt empty. Wartales story is also very good with some difficult moral decisions to take.

Since an update a few months ago, you can now opt for fixed levels. That means the world doesn't just auto-level up whenever you reach a new level. You can actually take your time to explore, and it the worse happens and many of your mercenaries die, you can return to the first maps and find foes you can actually defeat. They are adding lot of new contents all the time.

And yes, graphics are much nicer but that's a question of taste.

Is it a little like Hard West 2, just a global map, local areas only for tactical combat, and close-up 3D for NPC interaction in other "peaceful" locations like merchant and so on (instead of simple vignettes in HW2)?

I don't know about Hard West but your description seems fairly accurate.

The close-up 3D also have "mini games" such as chest to unlock ( like in Skyrim), fishing, smiting... you also have one for your camps where you can decide what your group does during rest and where you can do some crafting/cooking, get ambushed, heal wounds, barter with your mercenaries...

I am constantly surprised myself with the depth of Wartales as I really expected it to just be a fancy battle simulator, as in mostly just fighting. I have been pleasantly surprised that there is a lot more to it.

Wait, I thought we shouldn't compare them? Which is it?

For my part, comparing them is natural because they're both sandbox mercenary company simulators. And for me, both do things better than the other.

I like having specific missions/quests in Wartales. I quickly started to skim mission briefings in BB and my boredom grew the more identical missions I did.

I miss the random events, especially those based on members of your band, from BB. (Though the writing, as I've said before, needs to be better in BB for me to really care)

I prefer the combat in Wartales because I don't like how they show elevation in BB, and I don't like always fighting left to right. On the other hand, I like having the highest number of combatants in BB.

I don't prefer the graphics of one over the other. If anything, I probably prefer the more stylized BB approach.

Ultimately, I couldn't get into BB. It was kind of like playing M&B: Warband without the hook of the real time combat. Too repetitive and the writing isn't good enough. But I was always on the edge of liking it. I'm hoping that Wartales will scratch much the same itch, but with the benefit of more of an actual story/stories.

I am constantly surprised myself with the depth of Wartales as I really expected it to just be a fancy battle simulator, as in mostly just fighting. I have been pleasantly surprised that there is a lot more to it.
Like what?

Back
Top Bottom