We need buttons.

TheRealFluent

H.O.O. Inquisitor
Like the Codex has. Agree, Disagree, Nice, Interesting, maybe a Rolleyes option and a few others. Nothing mean. But we need more than just "Like" because a lot of times I want to add more options without typing a lengthy response.

I disagree.

"Like" is good - everything else needs a short explanation.

I think that would be cool actually. When browsing rpg codex, their wide variety of those emotiocon thingies at the bottom of some of the posts can be both amusing and fun to see.

I do think it would even be ok to have some with an "edge", but not as mean as the codex has, lol.

But it would be neat to see more than just "I like this post" or "I agree with this post" type emoticons. While nice, those can get dull, know what I mean.

If you do not even wish to bother typing a few words, then what’s your value judgement (‘nice’, ‘interesting’, etc) worth anyway?

Why do we have to have what everyone has ? ;)

Reminds me, by the way, of how Multiplayer began : People came into singleplayer games' forums and asked "can we have a multiplayer of this game ?" and "we need multiplayer !"

Now see where gaming is now. Offline singleplayer has died out.

Offline singleplayer -> introvert personality
Online multiplayer -> extrovert personality

The art of written composition has taken a massive dive in the past few years, let's not add to that. My vote would be to keep things exactly as they are here, why would you mess with perfection?

No buttons please. Keep k+m controlled forum, no phonetouchscreen, no mushrooms. Pretty please.

I think that would be cool actually. When browsing rpg codex, their wide variety of those emotiocon thingies at the bottom of some of the posts can be both amusing and fun to see.

I do think it would even be ok to have some with an "edge", but not as mean as the codex has, lol.

But it would be neat to see more than just "I like this post" or "I agree with this post" type emoticons. While nice, those can get dull, know what I mean.

Yep. Which is actually why I find myself posting much more on the Codex than here anymore. It's more active but the emoticons are funny. I love seeing "it is a mystery", "it was aliens", people rating my posts retarded :p. It's just cute and adds some fun to the forum, which I didn't expect would be wanted here, but I thought I'd post about it anyway. :)

If you do not even wish to bother typing a few words, then what’s your value judgement (‘nice’, ‘interesting’, etc) worth anyway?

I'd prefer if likes were removed. It's too much like the modern social media that's destroying the fabric of society!

Or, alternatively, there could be an option where I auto-like every post that's made on the site. Then my name will be everyones signature and I'll be famous! :O

Buttons were a mistake.
TrumpDisgusting.png

The one button is more then enough, If you agree with a post you press it, if not you don't.

The one button is more then enough, If you agree with a post you press it, if not you don't.

What if you can't be bothered pressing like because you like far too much for it to be practical?

Does that mean you don't like everything?

Should people be offended when they don't get a like?

There's over 400 active users and I don't think anyone gets near 400 likes on any comment.

It's pretty much not being used already.

Only a few people use it often and I'll bet they were trained to do so on Facebook, not RPGwatch.

:jester:

You know, I'm kind of assuming everyone's seen a video like this before

Likes arent a quality of life improvement. They're an addiction mechanic.

The fact that the statement
"Like" is good - everything else needs a short explanation. "
Is true is actually an argument against having just likes. More options, more fun, more confusion, less clear approval would be a less addictive system.

So, really, we do need more buttons.

Brofist?

Last edited:
Liking something, for me, is a mental response, at rare times perhaps a vocal response, and even on rarer occasions, a well written, thought out conversation in text. To reduce it down to a silly symbol I personally just find slightly offensive, so I don't go there.

Just because there are more options for symbols to use to react to a post, doesn't mean it would reduce posting. Most of the comments we see come from the same rpg watchers, if you notice. I would argue having more buttons would promote more posting or at least more engagement, if anything. For example, rpg codex has a ton of buttons, and they regularly have threads that go on for dozens of pages.

Here is just one example of how this would increase engagement: a rpg watcher who doesn't participate regularly will either continue to post nothing as usual, or they will see a symbol that they would like to use to show their reaction to a post. So, now the choice is either: silence as usual from them, or they post a funny/amusing or agree/disagree symbol in reaction to the post. What harm does that do? It promotes more engagement.

If some rpg watchers don't want to use the symbols, that is fine too. It just would give additional options. I would bet that if they did add a bunch of new emoticons and let them be on the bottom of posts, that postings in general would go up in number. Hell, just try an experiment and see.

Anyway, it looks as if several rpg watchers don't like this idea. Fine, forget it, but I don't think the objections have much merit to them, and don't make much sense either. All the regulars would continue to post as usual, I'm fairly sure about that!

I'm in favour of being able to give something a nod of appreciation rather than me cluttering a discussion with a few words post just to show that appreciation or agreement.

Ugg no buttons please. Tired of the generation of people who can't even write a coherent thought and want to reduce everything to emoj's and buttons. That ACD style of person who can't hold their attention long enough to read and post. Little interest to going to a post and just seeing rows of emojs and buttons over a conversation. Like is plenty as it lets you show you liked a post. Simple enough.

That being said I am on plenty of forums and chats, like Discord, that use them all the time and will adapt to whatever. I don't like them myself but easy enough to get used to if one has to.

I'm in favour of being able to give something a nod of appreciation rather than me cluttering a discussion with a few words post just to show that appreciation or agreement.

When an idea, an opinion etc are already expressed, it is pointless to replicate it.

Either adding to it or substracting to it. Cloning it brings nothing to the table.

Conversations are good and all, but in the real world, they may also contain non-verbal elements. A simple nod. A laugh. Things like that. Buttons can transport some of that to a forum discussion. There are cases where a simple "thumbs up" is not precise enough.

This has nothing to do with the ability to express yourself in a coherent way. Precision and brevity are part of good communication. Not every post needs to be a novel. Not every thought needs to be a post.

I can well live without buttons, though. It would be a benefit, but only a minor one.

Back
Top Bottom