Weird West - Released

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
The isometric RPG Weird West has been released:

Weird West | Out Now on PC, PlayStation, & Xbox

Survive and unveil the mysteries of the Weird West through the intertwined destinies of its unusual heroes in an immersive sim from the co-creators of Dishonored and Prey.
More information.

It looks intriguing; a cross-genre RPG with stylized graphics similar to Borderlands. Hopefully it's good.

Says "immersive sim".
No buy from me.

Btw, can someone tell me is this bundle worth buying?
https://gg.deals/pack/immersive-sim-bundle/

/* joxer goes back to plodding through Sims4 with a certain mod

MTS_TURBODRIVER-2001102-banner.png

I despise isometric games with character movement by directional keys instead of mouse clicks.

I know I've missed out on some great games because of this, but this control method makes me feel like a spazz.

I despise isometric games with character movement by directional keys instead of mouse clicks.

I know I've missed out on some great games because of this, but this control method makes me feel like a spazz.

I'm not bothered by different control methods, but I generally don't like an isometric view + real-time combat.

There are a few exceptions, but if a game is going to be isometric, I strongly prefer it to be party-based and have RTwP or turn-based combat.

or use a PS controller?

Other concerns is you can't opt out of data collection. you have to accept it to play the game and you may have already given some of it away by the time it gets there. This might be a violation of European law.
Gog version might let you play offline but you could accidentally give your info away again if you reconnect.

Limited on your choice of playable characters - 5 in total.

Steep price. Not an issue for me but maybe some.

It's a bit strange that there have been two western RPG (or RPG adjacent) games in the past several years, this and Hard West, and both of them are told with different protagonists throughout.

Well I hate games told through multiple pov's. Might still pick it up if the game is offered cheaply in any future Steam sale. Hope we get another Dishonored game someday.

Well I hate games told through multiple pov's. Might still pick it up if the game is offered cheaply in any future Steam sale. Hope we get another Dishonored game someday.

I'll probably get it given how few RPGs with this setting exist or are likely to exist, but I agree. I would rather be able to create a character from one of these templates and play through the entire thing as that character.

I gotta say, this is where Game Pass really shines. Games I'm kinda interested in, but don't want to readily part with a lot of money for? Yes please.

It's quite a rare mechanism for sure. I remember Banner Saga did it and Betrayal at Krondor. Can't think of many other decent cRPG's off hand though. It's much more common with Tactics games and JRPG's I think. Splitting up the party is more common.

People are confusing the perspective with Diablo and asking for left click to move.

Like all Immersive Sims, Weird West is an action game with rpg elements - not an rpg. Click to move wouldn't work when the game allows you to John Woo shoot-dodge.

TW3 forced the player to switch characters too, I didn't like it at all. Fortunately the weird mechanics of Ciri didn't have to be endured for too long.

With WW it's not just temporary apparently.

Like all Immersive Sims, Weird West is an action game with rpg elements - not an rpg. Click to move wouldn't work when the game allows you to John Woo shoot-dodge.

I understood that you unlocked abilities for your characters to evolve, explore, there's a story and so on, so it looks like a regular RPG to me. Maybe I'm wrong, I didn't play the game, and that depends on your definition of RPG.

But RPG or immersive sim doesn't matter, it's an action game without pause, so indeed I cannot imagine playing that with mouse clicks, even with a slow-down feature.

Back
Top Bottom