What are you reading?

I knocked out Survivor Song pretty quickly, it was an ok book, I didn't really care for how the author often switched tenses while the story played out. And sadly having to follow the last book, this one was up against the ropes fairly fast. I got interested in the book based on reviews that I'd read, yet I didn't find the book nearly as compelling as most of they did.

And with that done, next I'm going back to Flavia!! Speaking from Among the Bones is up next.

I've finished Paul of Dune, the book set between Dune and Dune Messiah. Read halfway through Messiah, to see how the books relate, but there isn't much of a connection.
Paul of Dune is actually two books. Half of it is about a young Paul at the age of 13 and the other half takes place during the first few years after Dune.
I guess the part of Paul at age 13 does something to explain a bit more of the background of Paul, but before Dune there are new books where Paul is 15 and they already do a fine job in doing that, which makes this part utterly redundant.
The other half of the book is more interesting. It does it's best to create an image of the horrors of the Jihad. In Messiah, Paul mentions numbers of planets and people that were destroyed and killed. In Paul of Dune, they try to paint a clearer picture of what this actually means.
Besides that, the book also gives more space to people who only get a brief mention in Dune, just like the prequel stories, which makes sense if you read those.

Summarizing, I think half of the book has value if you read the prequel stories. If you haven't, there is some, but not a lot of value to be had by reading this book. Obviously if you are like me and are going through all 22 Dune books, you really need to read it :)

And this afternoon I closed the book on Flavia's wicked adventure in Speaking From Among the Bones. This tale is a bit closer to home, especially with how it ends! Turns out someone near and dear might not be so departed after all, which maybe we'll find out more about in the next book.

Up next for me is one I've never read before, the Return of Little Big Man. Having just re-read the first book a few weeks ago, this is one I'm truly salivating over.

I finished Dune Messiah over the holidays, and about 30% into Children of Dune at the moment.

I've decided I am not gonna go through all of the books written by Brian, except for the 2 "epilogue" books (Hunters of Dune and Sandworms of Dune) and the Butlerian Jihad trilogy.
I've got too much good books in my backlog I'd rather be reading than the (supposedly) mediocre work of the author's son.

I picked up The Complete Book of Ghosts by Paul Roland the other day, when I realized I had forgotten mom's birthday and needed a quick gift. So of course I bought her and me some books.

It's an interesting compilation of ghost stories from around the world. For me, with a mild interest in the paranormal, it's fascinating to look at these accounts and think about the what if's. I also am curious if my own experiences at a US Civil War battlefield are common (though my entire class experienced the same things as me; we talked about that trip the entire year). Of course, work keeps me from finishing it, or even reading much, but I'll get through it eventually.

Two hours ago I completed Project: Hail Mary, and what a marvelous read it was.

Amazon sent me a $5 off coupon for it, so I bought it :) Right now still re-reading 'One Hundred Years of Solitude' by Gabriel GarcÃ*a Márquez (Nobel prize for this book, so if you haven't read it, you should) and also just started re-reading James Joyce's Ulysses for the first time in decades ... so it might be a bit! :D

I started reading The City and the Stars by Arthur C Clarke.
It is a really good book, easy to read yet it shows off an entire new world. What amazes me most is that it was written in the 1950s and describes things of today's world or even from games we play today still.

For example it talks of a city managed by machines which are rarely seen to be intrusive at all. My first thought was the keepers in the Citadel of Mass Effect.

On another occasion it talks of a map which can be explored visually using some coordinates like Google maps.

Really interesting to read this from a book which is 70 years old :)

Now all this chatter about the Dune series is making me want to re-read that entire tale yet again. My library doesn't seem to have the first book available via kindle, so I'll have to find another way to lay my mitts on it.

I finally decided to read the Harry Potter series after all this time. Finished the first book and enjoyed it.

Question : I plan on watching the movies as well. Should I read the entire series first and then watch the movies? Or watch each corresponding movie after each book?

Question : I plan on watching the movies as well. Should I read the entire series first and then watch the movies? Or watch each corresponding movie after each book?

I don't see any reason to wait before watching the movies. It always boils down to personal preference, but I'd prefer to watch the movie while the story is still fresh in my mind.

I finally decided to read the Harry Potter series after all this time. Finished the first book and enjoyed it.

Agree with JDR - really doesn't matter. We started reading the books with our kids in 2001 before the first movie came out, then worked through the books (I read them aloud) and we saw each movie in theaters.

I personally found the books much superior to the films, yet that may vary from bloke to bloke. The early ones struck me as quite good, yet as the series went on it seemed to be weird-agenda filled, and less interesting. Those first three or four volumes, though, are really decent.

Thank you all for the input! I think I'll read the books first and then go through the movies after. I went out tonight and bought Chamber of Secrets.

Of course now I've discovered the illustrated versions. Too many choices, probably best to keep it simple with the basic novels.

I didn't know there were illustrated versions of the Potter series. Either I missed those or they perhaps came out later than the ones I picked up.

Last night I completed the Return of Little Big Man. This book picks up shortly after the aftermath of the battle at Greasy Grass (or Little Bighorn, if you prefer), and then covers the next fifteen years or so of Jack's life. I'd say overall I prefer the first book, yet this one is still well worth reading, if nothing else to see the other people he interacts with and the events he's involved with or witnesses. Berger is a hell of a writer, and when I've a chance I intend to re-read some of his other works.

Up next for me is book five of the Dresden series, Death Masks. It starts off fairly fast and furious, I'm already twenty percent in and fully enthralled!

I didn't know there were illustrated versions of the Potter series. Either I missed those or they perhaps came out later than the ones I picked up.

Yes, they are more recent arrivals, and their development is explained in "Harry Potter and the Quest for More Money" (joke).

Of course now I've discovered the illustrated versions. Too many choices, probably best to keep it simple with the basic novels.

We bought the illustrated books for our daughter. The illustrations are absolutely lovely. For me personally they wouldn't be worth the much higher price, but to our daughter it makes a ton of difference.

Man, I plowed through Death Masks super fast! It started off with an intriguing debate with Harry and some other blokes on a talk show, then leapt into stellar action and never let up. I've already requested book six, yet until that arrives, the next novel up for me will be the Devil in the White City, by Erik Larson.

Those Dresden and Flavia books are too addicting, they are like literary crack! =p

Devil in the White City was a stellar read. You've got the interesting juxtaposition of the World Columbian Exposition on one hand, and a prowling, demented serial killer on the other. Both absolutely true, and each starkly presented in this tale of Chicago, circa 1893. Although Mudgett wouldn't be captured for some time afterwards, the echoes of his victims can still be heard. And of course the word's fair left numerous icons in its' wake, Shredded Wheat, Cracker Jacks, the Ferris Wheel, and many other fine distinctions of art and craft. This book is well worth checking out for many reasons!

Up next for me is a stranger journey, as I usually don't watch a film/telly show before reading the books involved, yet in this case I violated that tenent. So, right now I'm into book one of the series, entitled the Cold Dish. I really enjoyed the television version of Longmire so I suspect the books will be equally good, if not better.

Back
Top Bottom