What are you reading?

I'm on book twelve of the Dresden series, Changes. And boy-howdy, is that an apt title!!! So much has already happened: the Beetle totaled, the residence in which Harry has resided in for years burned down, and Harry himself just sustained an injury that's left him paralyzed below the waist....yeah, that one hits a bit close to home. Cannot wait to read what happens in the second half.

Uhm....Changes. Yeah, quite aptly named, for sure. And what happens at the very end makes me very happy that I requested the next book at quickly as I did. I still have a wait, yet I'm hoping I shaved a day or three off by having requested it earlier than I usually do.

As for right now, I'm pondering as to who did the deed against Harry. My first guess is Kincaid, basically because of how it happened. It seems right up his alley, yet of course the real question would be why. I'm filled with all sorts of speculations, plenty for me to ponder over while I wait for the next book. The que says under two weeks so at least it won't be too long.

And what a payoff!! The signs are all there, mentioned in numerous volumes before Changes, the foreshadowing is classic with a sound delivery. I'd thought something like this might happen two or three books ago, yet when it did I was caught completely unawares. Big kudos to Butcher for how this all transpired, if I had the next book now be assured I'd be out on the porch reading it this very moment.

As for now I'm back in Wyoming, with a collection of short stories about Longmire, gathered together in a book entitled Christmas in Absaroka County. I'm not the biggest fan of short stories in general, though if the author is good and the characters sound, they can resonate well. So far I'm enjoying these short glimpses into Walt's past.

Well, I chugged through both sets of short stories featuring Walt Longmire and company, now since I'm on waiting lists I'm grasping at things to read, I settled on a book I've only read once before, Empire Falls. HBO also did a mini-series on this a few years ago which is also worth viewing as the casting was astonishingly well done.

The Longmire stories I just concluded advanced the story a bit concerning Mike and Cady's upcoming offspring arriving, and a lot of bases were touched upon both in Wyoming and Montana. One tale even featured a few conversations between Martha and Walt (back when she was among the living) and some of the people she was close to back in the day.

And Empire Falls came to its dramatic conclusion this morning, still as enjoyable as when I first read it, over twenty years ago, now. Russo has a style of writing that I really enjoy, I plan on reading a few more of his works. Small town America can be rather grim at times, and again, if reading this book isn't to your interest, feel free to check out the decent mini-series that HBO put out a few years back.

And oh boy, the next Dresden book came flying in last night, so I'm already engrossed. Time to see what happens to Harry next after the shocking finale of the prior volume!

About an hour ago I finished Ghost Story, a novel in the Dresden series. This one sees Harry trying to figure out who offed him in the prior book and why, as well as having to keep an eye on his friends, because with him departed some of their situations are less than ideal. This is done rather brilliantly, I knew who had done the deed yet missed the mark on the why. An excellent conclusion to a masterful mystery, and I'll be curious to see what happens next.

Now I'm reading Nobody's Fool, a book by Richard Russo. It's set in a town where one of my brothers lives, so I'm already enjoying the scenery if nothing else.

I wrapped up Nobody's Fool this morning, what an excellent read and glimpse into small-town America, circa early eighties. This is set in North Bath, a small town in NE New York, not far from the Vermont border. It's really good and insightful, Russo is another one of those authors that can really nail characters and subjects, while lacing in poignant humour at the same time. I've already que'd up the sequel.

Now I'm onto Cold Days, of the Dresden Tales, that sees Harry recovering from some traumas and, I suspect, acting in his new role!

Finished Rome: The Emperor's Spy, at last. I don't read much these days.

I'm mixed but I can't explain why, and it's just me. The story is very well written, and is set in a rich part of history when Nero was emperor. It takes place mainly in Gaul, Rome and Alexandria, which happens to be the locations of a game I've played recently. ;) I didn't know, so it was a funny surprise.

The book takes its time to describe the characters, their thoughts, the culture and locations, and is very in-character when it comes to that.

My mixed feelings come from the somewhat classic and rigid tone of the conversation and personalities, it almost brings me back to the translations of ancient Greek texts. I don't know if that's on purpose, and we don't know if people were more about honour and formalities in every day's life (I doubt it). By association, it seems to emphasize the impression of being in ancient civilizations, but it doesn't seem entirely natural. It's a style, but not one we often find these days.

Also, the author doesn't rely as much on a rhythm of suspense and relaxation as "modern" stories of the same genre. It feels like it's been written a couple of centuries ago. That doesn't make it bad, but I wasn't used to that anymore.

Still, I'd definitely recommend it if you like this period.

Finished Chapterhouse Dune, the sixth and last Dune novel written by Frank Herbert. It wraps up the story, but also has somewhat of a cliffhanger. He apparently had ideas to make a seventh novel, as there were some 1000 pages from him, with notes and outlines for the story. His son turned them in the two last books in the Dune series, the first being Hunters of Dune, which I will start next

I completed Cold Days, book fourteen of the Dresden series, and man what a ride this book was! So much happens, and Harry's world is simply so different now, it's really enhanced the story for me. A great read this was, although I didn't like what's happened with Molly. I saw a very different destiny for her, and while this one hasn't fully played out, I don't care for the current direction.

Now I'm onto The Crossing, book two of the Border Trilogy by McCarthy. This one seems very different from the first, at least as far as I've gotten in, which is only about ten percent.

Finished Chapterhouse Dune, the sixth and last Dune novel written by Frank Herbert. It wraps up the story, but also has somewhat of a cliffhanger. He apparently had ideas to make a seventh novel, as there were some 1000 pages from him, with notes and outlines for the story. His son turned them in the two last books in the Dune series, the first being Hunters of Dune, which I will start next

You're making better progress than me. :D I'm about half through God Emperor of Dune, and I dunno, it's not grabbing me as much. There's a lot more philosophical meanderings in this than in the previous ones that allude me mostly - maybe because I am reading in English, so not my native language, though I consider myself well-versed enough in English to cope.
Anyway, I am trudging through, but it could do with a bit more action. :p

The rest of the books are similar. A lot takes place in the heads of people. Often I don't like it when writers do this, but Frank Herbert has a style of doin it that resonates with me, so I enjoy it. But, I can understand people giving up on it.
I liked God emperor a lot. For me it is the highlight of the series.

Due to so many library book requests being fulfilled, I've had to step up my reading speed a bit. I finished the Crossing earlier today, the second book in the Border trilogy, by McCarthy. This novel sees a new set of characters take the page, and really steps up some of the dreams/visions that are mainstays in some of McCarthy's other stories, like the Road and others. I'll be getting book three for sure just to see how it all wraps up and who might the next stories include.

Now I'm onto A Serpent's Tooth, next in the Longmire series. This one looks like it might include some militia/polygamy shenanigans, oh joy!

A Serpent's Tooth is a wrap, a very enjoyable read. It starts out with a angel doing good deeds and winds up in a nest of proverbial demons doing dastardly stuff. The Durant police force lose a member and have another seriously injured, and I'm also suspecting that someone isn't staying strictly within the police guidelines. All the evidence seems to point to a bad police, we'll have to see how that winds up.

Now I'm onto the fourth Jack Reacher book, Running Blind. The FBI have their hooks into Reacher and are getting him to do some dirty, clandestine work off the books, I'm thinking this won't up up very nice!

Running Blind was a page-turner, couldn't hardly put the thing down. Reacher starts off by popping up on the FBI's radar and, by the finale, looks to have completely severed any good feelings between him and that organization, likely forever. It was really good, I was totally off on who I thought the suspect was, and look forward to see where Reacher will be going next.

Up next for me is a re-read, Midnight Riot.

Whipped through Midnight Riot quicker than I expected, I'd forgotten what a page turner this series is. Sadly though I won't be going any further, at least not for now, as this is the only book my local library has in the series.

Since I couldn't read anymore of the London river series, I finished off the Border trilogy this morning by completing Cities of the Plain. This entry concludes the tales of Billy and John, with one story ending far earlier than the other. Mexico could be a dangerous place back in the 1950's, and this is made pretty obvious in how the story concludes. This was a fine trilogy, one I know I'll be visiting again.

Up next for me is the Dresden series with Skin Game, I believe the fifteenth book in the chronicles.

This morning I polished off Skin Game, and boy howdy, what romp this book was. You get to witness yet another confrontation with Nicodamus, not to mention some real payback organized by Mab herself. It took me a while to understand the title of this book, yet I eventually caught on.

Next up for me is a Reacher book, Echo Burning, which I'll be starting later today.

Echo Burning took some odd twists and turns, for a while I couldn't suss out at all what was going on, yet in the end it all kind of made sense. When Reacher gets stymied, it affects me as well!

Then last night I tore through Spirit of Steamboat, a Longmire short story that took place in the past, two months after Walt first became sheriff. It was really good and featured a lotta Lucian!

And now I've started Child of God, another one of Cormac McCarthy's novels.

And last night I finished off Child of God, and felt like I needed a shower afterwards. Uggh, I've read and watched some despicable characters in my days, yet this piece of filth might take the prize. I did complete the book, and I understand what the author was doing here, yet I'm pretty sure I'll never reread this one.

As a palate cleanser, I went for some Drizzt action from Salvatore. I used to own most of the books, yet lost them all when I moved back to the states, so I'm starting with the only series that my library seems to have, book one of the Neverwinter series, Gauntigrym.

Gauntlgrym is done, I don't believe I'd ever read this one before, though I did at one point own every Salvatore book prior to this series, before losing several boxes when I moved back to the States. This is a good tale, mostly focused on the Neverwinter area and environs, yet suffers for me with the lack of Wulfgar, Catti-brie, and Rumblebelly. There are some nice new additions, so I'll embrace those to the fold and soldier on. We do get a nice nod to past members at the closing of this book, which was nice.

Now I'm onto the Fifth Season, book one of the Broken Earth series. I'm about fifteen percent in and so far it reminds me a little of the Mistborn series, and I mean that as a huge compliment.

Back
Top Bottom