What are you reading?

Oh they are definitely fast-paced in comparison. I actually like Frank Herbert's slower paced writing and depth poured into each chapter a lot. In comparison the books of his son and Anderson are more fast-paced, the chapters are shorter, there are more characters and they are more adventurous.

I finished Custer's Trials earlier today, and it gave a lot of information about the man and his family/friends that I'd not encountered before. The author literally didn't even touch on Big Horn, focusing more on Custer's Civil War and early western adventures, as well as his years at West Point. Well worth reading if the individual is of interest.

Now I'm back to the Drizzt tales with Streams of Silver.

I wrapped up Streams of Silver last night, a great read that sees the first encounter between Artemis and the Companions. Regis is nabbed, Bruenor thought to be dead, and the rest in pursuit of the kidnapped little guy. This is also the book where Catti-brie acquires that most excellent bow.

This morning I concluded my reading of book one of the Chorus of Dragons: Ruin of Kings. In this novel you see regular folk contend with the elite, as well as god-like beings, sorcerers, demons, and many other types that inhabit this world. I'd never read this book before yet will certainly be checking out the next in the series.

Right now I'm onto the Halfling's Gem, another entry in the legendary Drizzt series.

I finished off the Halfling's Gem this afternoon, which sees four companions of the Hall chasing after their missing number, Regis. Along the way they travel quite the distance. roughly two thousand miles south to the city of Calimport. Ship voyages, bouts with demons, and another meeting with Artemis are all on the menu!

And speaking of Artemis, that's the name of my next book to read, by Andrew Weir. I've enjoyed several of his other books so I'm pretty sure I'll like this one.

Finished the last book in the Dune Series, which totals to 21 novels and one book of short stories. The last book is OK, it tries to send out a message, but fails in doing that. Still it was an OK conclusion. Also glad that it is over for now. For completeness sake I will also read the book that is coming out this September, but my hopes are low for that one.

Will start now with reading Mary, Everything. It is a book written by Aubrielle. I have it as an ebook from Amazon, so can only read it on my iPad Kindle app, as I have only a Kobo e-reader. On that I have as a follow up book The First Foundation prepared, which I will read before watching the TV show.

Artemis was a fine read, and I've come to expect that of Weir. His other books that I've read involve space and science, and this one is no different, with the setting being a colony situated on the moon, roughly about sixty years in the future. It's a good blend of science fiction with a detective thriller, I'm at the point now that I'll read anything written by this author.

Now I'm onto the Name of All Things, book two of the Chorus of Dragons series.

Oh they are definitely fast-paced in comparison. I actually like Frank Herbert's slower paced writing and depth poured into each chapter a lot. In comparison the books of his son and Anderson are more fast-paced, the chapters are shorter, there are more characters and they are more adventurous.

Well, you weren't lying. I am about 35% into the Butlerian Jihad and yeah, it's a lot more fast-paced. Maybe a bit too much so. There's been little to no character development so far, and the characters themselves are quite one-dimensional (which is probably my biggest annoyance). It's quite pulp-y, but I suppose I'll stick with it since it's moving fast enough to keep my attention at least.

This morning I completed The Name of All Things, book two of the Chorus of Dragons chronicles. In this volume you get more people sharing their tales, and a much broader explanation of how the gods, artifacts, dragons and demons all function within this universe. I've found both of these books to be extremely well written and look forward to the third volume!

Up next though is The Black Echo, book one of the Bosch series. I've not read this book in almost thirty years, and so far I'm finding it just as delightful as when I first read it.

I polished off the Black Echo earlier today, a solid starting off point for the Bosch series. While reading this book I was reminded again why the text form usually surpasses the telly/film versions of these kinds of stories, as much of the dialogue happens internally and it's tough to pull that off in other formats. The one time I think it worked rather well was with Dexter. Lots of good setups here with Irving, Wish, a few other characters that will become important as the tales progress.

So next up for me will be book two of the Bosch stories, the Black Ice.

Black Ice wrapped up this morning, and what a sobering read. Gritty, dark, and this author totally nails police narrative. In the end you're left with Bosch and Irving having more ammo against each other, yet each having to survive with choices that both they and the other have made along the way.

It's a long wait for the next Bosch book for me so I'm back to the Chorus of Dragons, with book three, Memory of Souls.

I finished with Memory of Souls this afternoon, and this entry is a bit different than the prior two. There's a lot more explanation about some of the lineage involved here over the thousands of years involved, and some of that wore a bit thin with me. I understand some of it was necessary, yet I found it seriously detracted from the story as a whole. I'm hoping book four will be more like the first two.

Up next for me is book seven of the Drizzt tales, Legacy. So far these have all been a delight to re-read.

I breezed through Legacy super-fast, crazy good book, except my barbarian bestie doesn't survive. Never did like that part of the book. -xxxx

Up next for me I'm back to the Reacher series, with Nothing to Lose.

While the site was down I knocked out two Reacher volumes: Bad Luck and Trouble, followed by Nothing to Lose. These books are a lot of fun to read, not much deduction or thought process involved yet steady and entertaining. And I'm quite keen on seeing which one gets converted for the next telly series as I'm doubtful they'll proceed based on the book numerical progression.

And now I'm back to the Longmire series.

I'm currently reading the Three-body problem trilogy. I'm on the last book.

Good near future hard sci-fi. A bit too much exposition, but enjoyable nonetheless.

Also interesting to read a book by a Chinese author, since I've only read one before. Hard to know if it is due to how it translates, how the two Chinese authors I've read write, or if it's Chinese culture, but how people relate to one another seems harsher than in western literature.

I've finished The Heretics and The Man in the Snow, by Rory Clements. The 2nd is just a novella. As good as the previous books. The next ones in the series are prequels, which always feels weird.

Once again I'm still reading the 100's of free ebooks on Amazon. The quality varies by eack book but I've found a few that are actually quite good that I was surprised.

Finished 'A Brightness Long Ago' from Kay, an author I delayed reading for too long. My bad, totally, that was very good and I will look for his other books.

Jumped on Weaponized from Asher and got bored. I loved his Cormac and other books in the same settings but his 3 last books were uninspired and boring.

Decided to clean the boredom with Iron Truth of Tholin and that was a great discovery.

This morning I finished off Last Stand, the most recent Longmire book that I've read. The title refers to an Armstrong Custer painting, a cherished relic that has all of a sudden shown up after presumed destroyed some years ago. The usual cast shows up, and we've also some Soviet mafioso types that play some parts as well!

Now I'm back to the Drizzt series, with Starless Night.

Back
Top Bottom