What are you reading?

Last evening I completed Starless Night, which sees Drizzt returning to his home city, for all sorts of shenanigans. Cattie-Brie is also heavily involved, as are a few others of past note. Another great installment in the series!

Now I'm on the Lincoln Lawyer. I quite enjoy Connelly's writing style, so I suspect I'll enjoy this.

I finished with Lincoln Lawyer this morning, not sure if I'd ever read this one before, though I know I've seen the film at least once. This is a good read about how a defence barrister thinks and works in the seamy world of L.A. I'll be checking out the next book shortly.

Up next for me is Daughter of the Morning Star, back to the Longmire books, boy howdy!

This morning I polished off Daughter of the Morning Star, which sees Walt taking a deep dive into some First Nation spiritual situations, yet at least he's Henry to be with him for most of the journey. It ends in what seems a dire spot, I'm keen on seeing what the next installment might bring.

Now I'm back to the Drizzt series, I'm about a third of the way through Siege of Darkness, which sees the magical world kind of go wonky. Good times!

And done with Siege of Darkness! This one sees the drow come to Mithrall Hall for a little payback, yet it doesn't work out quite that way. The saga continues. -)

Tomorrow I'll be starting Gone Tomorrow, book thirteen of the Jack Reacher series.

Dopamine Nation
Audiobook read by author Anna Lembke M.D.

I happened upon a video featuring this author, and ended up getting her audiobook. It was somewhat enlightening, and while she doesnt really bring a whole lot of new information to the table, it was good to hear what she has to say, even if it's just an affirmation. Modern man is increasingly becoming hooked on ever increasing triggers of nonstop dopamine.

That is, until there's no dopamine left. Then, we wonder why we're depressed. But dont worry - there's a pill to fix that. Brew another pot of coffee. And the cycle repeats itself, deepening the grooves in our brains, making it harder and harder to escape.

In this time and place, it's easy to get hooked. It's easy to hoard in the digital age. It's easy to endlessly search for that prize we can never quite grasp, until the search itself becomes addictive. The world is at our fingertips in the internet age, and if you have an addictive mindset, there is a market out there trying to exploit it.

Last edited:
Gone Tomorrow was a solid entry in the Reacher saga. It starts off with Jack noticing a woman acting the role of a suspicious sort on a subway car, then she winds up taking her own life, and then....well, it all goes sideways. And downwards, in classic Reacher fashion!

Now I'm on to the next book in the series, Sixty-One Hours.

Sixty-One Hours is done, and this one was a stranger bird than most. Reacher winds up on a bus full of old folk and the vehicle almost has an accident, leaving them stranded for a while. Then things get really weird....

Next I'll be starting Worth Dying For, book fifteen in the series, likely later tonight or tomorrow.

I wrapped up Worth Dying For this afternoon, a Reacher book that starts him off in a very different position than usual: due to how the last book ended, Jack begins this one injured, by no means at one hundred percent. And then he has to deal with some scrubs that couldn't cut it in the National Football League, as well as some white slavers. Carnage basically ensues.

The next Reacher book for me will be the Affair, which I'll likely start later tonight or tomorrow at some point.

I finished with the Affair this morning, this Reacher tale tells the story of how he separated from the Army a number of years ago, and the case involved. An excellent tale and resolves a very old mystery in the series.

Now I'm on to the 2nd Micky Haller book.

This morning I wrapped up the Brass Verdict, book two of the Mikey Haller series. Lots of information and intrigue in this one, including a rather surprising cameo from Harry Bosch! He pops up on and off, and since the story is told from Hallers' perspective, you don't really get to follow Bosch much at all, yet I would love to see his part of the tale told at some point, from his point of view. Regardless it's a fine read, Connelly can really write seriously great thrillers/detective tales.

Now I'm back to the Reacher stories, with A Wanted Man.

I guess I always have. My mum likes to say I picked up my first book at three and never really stopped!

I finished Wanted Man this afternoon, another different entry in the Reacher books. Again, Jack starts this one injured from the previous book, with a seriously broken nose held together with duct tape. The story starts off quietly enough, then takes off in some unexpected tangents.

And now I'm back to reading the Drizzt tales, with Passage to Dawn, which I think is book ten in the series.

I finished The Queen's Man by Rory Clements, another great read which brings me closer to the end of that series.

I'm currently reading Vipers in the Storm by Keith Rosenkranz. The author is an F-16 pilot who fought in the Gulf War and this book describes his experience and how it felt in general to be in that war. The missions are very well detailed (and he's not as full of himself as Dan Hampton). It helps knowing a little about the military aviation, the plane and the jargon but he takes care to introduce most of the notions.

This morning I completed Passage to Dawn, in the Drizzt series, and this book sees a return of a missing character as well as an old foe. You also get to see universes collide as Cadderly and some of his ilk show up roughly halfway through the book! That canticle series is another splendid read from Salvatore, I need to get my hands on those again at some time.

Now I'm reading a thriller that seems to be set in the near future and focuses on a First Nations area, called the Peacekeeper.

I finished Peacekeeper this morning, a great read yet rather disturbing in how it all turns out. It starts off not so bad yet, by the end, it's really dark. I'll have to see if I can get my mitts on the next book in the series, as I'm curious to see what happens next to some of the characters.

Next up for me is book eighteen in the Reacher series, Never Go Back.

Last night I polished off Never Go Back, a good entry in the Reacher books. This one sees Jack heading east, to finally meet the person that owns the voice that so captivated him in an earlier book. Of course, those plans quickly get changed and a long-reaching tale takes place, involving both the lady he was coming to see and some high level participants.

Now I'm about a third of the way through book eleven of the Drizzt series, the Silent Blade. Drizzt and company depart Icewind Dale to dispose of an evil artifact, yet things quickly change at almost the beginning of the journey.

I zipped through the Silent Blade, a book I'm not a huge fan of because of what happens to my favourite character. The poor barbarian is on a path that will lead to dire spots indeed, and just remembering what's coming for him, let alone what he's already withstood, keeps me from enjoying it as much as I might.

Now I've picked up the next Reacher book, Personal. It starts off with a sniper taking aim at the president of France, right now I'm about a third of the way through and enjoying every page!

Personal was a different take, sort of, on the Reacher front, in that most of it takes place outside of the US. We get introduced to quite a few new folk, and I'm wondering if any of them will show up again in the future.

Right now I'm about halfway through Spine of the World, book twelve of the Companions of the Hall, though it seems to mostly focus on Wulfgar.

I read a couple thrillers, War Shadows (Tier One Thrillers Book 2)
and Levon's Trade: A Vigilante Justice Thriller (Levon Cade Book 1)

Both were "OK", but nothing great. If I had to pick one I would pick the War Shadows as a thriller book.

Right now I'm reading the second book in Boris Bacic's creature encounters series,
They Came From The Ocean

This is the same guy and his follow-up to his excellent suspense/horror book (which I reviewed in this thread)
It Came With The Crash

So far, it seems like a solid follow-up, but not sure that I will like it better than the first book. (I just don't think an deep undersea base is much of a good or interesting setting -- just my personal tastes)

There are two more books in the series that I plan to read and that look more interesting than the second book to me.

Another book I have on my to read list that I discovered that looks very interesting is called "Infection" about a horrific devastating plague that turns people into zombies (I know I know how very cliche and standard, but this kind of genre interests me)

Its actually getting really good critic and customer reviews -- https://www.amazon.com/Infection-Craig-DiLouie-ebook/dp/B09437GC52/ref=sr_1_1?crid=26XX2VS27DDG8&keywords=the+infection&qid=1661473525&sprefix=the+infection,aps,172&sr=8-1

This morning I ended my time with Spine of the World, a book involving the Companions of the Hall, though this one is primarily focused on Wulfgar and his separation from the others. Of course he has some adventures of his own, and meets up with some new folk along the way, as well as a few harrowing situations.

Next up for me will be The Power, a book someone in discord suggested. That's literally all I know about it!

Back
Top Bottom