What are you reading?

Anybody who knows Dean R Koontz? hewrites horror, piece by piece great books.
Some of them have been made to a movie, but the book was defintely better and scarier. I am reading his books again after a long break. Now i am reading : Chills (if i translated it correctly

Koontz may get a little repetitive after a few books, but he still is my favorite horror author (but perhaps I'm a little prejudiced because I got to interview him for a Sci-Fi/Horror/Fantasy magazine back in '91 or '92, and he was an *extremely* nice guy). My favorite Koontz book is 'Midnight'... so far, he couldn't beat it.

I cannot disclose the title of what I'm currently trying to read... I got the book from my sister-in-law, it's X-rated, and I must say I'm quite shocked about her literary tastes. So far I don't like the book in question a bit (preferring books with a story ^_^).

Dragonklock or something dragon tear? read that one of him? that was the first book I read about him, damn i was scared of dark alleys afterwars :D

Dragon Tears? Sorry, I haven't read it :( , but I read a lot of Koontz after discovering a musty issue of 'Hell's Gate' in a chest full of books in our basement. 'Hell's Gate' was supposed to be SF, but as such, it -frankly- stank. Where the book worked extremely well was in the first part which was truly nerve-wracking horror - there was one scene which reminded me of a (good) Carpenter movie... I actually jumped when reading it. Subsequently I searched for Koontz books and discovered that he had - luckily - decided to write Horror.

I have read some when I was younger. I had this horror thing going on, reading Stephen King, Dean R Koontz, Peter Straub, and Clive Barker. Can't remember any specific novels of Koontz. Can you name some oldies?

I've never enjoyed horror at all. I grew up devouring all the SF I could find and when that ran out, I began on fantasy. I would have read at least 15,000 books if not more. As a teenager, I read up to 3 a day; I was voracious and I'm a fast reader!!

just finished 'empire of the sun' by j. g. ballard. i've read nearly all his other books over the past 4 years and its great to see the story of how his life was shaped and makes clear how such a vivid imagination could have erose and shaped his books he would write.

If you enjoyed that book, the movie is excellent!!

As a teenager, I read up to 3 a day; I was voracious and I'm a fast reader!!

It was the same with me. Of course when you're older you just can't read as much as you want, lately the only free time I've had for reading is on the subway going and coming from work. But I still buy tons of books.

Back then, I didn't have computer games sucking up so much of my time either!! :) I still try to read, usually while watching NFL games; there are SO many commercials!!

Yep, back in the days I had no computer, no family, no fulltime jobs... when I was still in school I read the Mists of Avalon in one night, The Foundation Trilogy the next night and all of Moorcock's Corum novels the night after that one (long nights for sure). Nowadays: reading = restroom (neither counting the reading I have to do for work, nor reading picture books to sonny).

As a teenager, I read up to 3 a day; I was voracious and I'm a fast reader!!

Dear god ... 13.7 years just reading ...

I envy you :(

A Feast For Crows

I've loved the series up to this point but I'm getting a bit tired of the endless rape discussions. And I do mean endless. I think Martin has an issue frankly.

At this moment I am reading Tears of the Gods, third part in the Krondor trilogy of Raymond E. Feist. At this moment I have read 14 books written by Raymond. The Riftwar Saga, Krondor's Son, Empire Trilogy, Serpentwar Saga and now in the last book of the Krondor series of the Riftwar Legacy.

I recommend these books to every fantasy lover. Marvalous writer.

EDIT: Oh, and for everyone who isn't too lazy to read my post; Magician is still Feists best book ever IMO.

I agree Neo, but next read his Conclave of Shadows series!!

Finally got Started in Steven Erikson's Malazan books.
Very good stuff from my early impressions...

3 books a day ! Heh I'm lucky these days if I get through
3 books a month. I still buy them by the bucketload myself too.
(~20 books every 3-4 months from play.com the last few years...
needless to say my "unread" shelf has an average of 20 books
on it at any given time)

I always read before I get to sleep though. A ritual that follows
me since my early teens... I practically cant sleep if I dont get at
least an 1-2 hours of reading unless I am dead tired... Or dead drunk ;)

My last three books were :

- The amazing Maurice and his educated Rodents
- Glennkill (a sheep murder mystery story) (translated into English with the strange title "Three Bags Full")
- Thud!

Right now I'm reading a book explaining the Egyptian Hieroglyphs quite nicely :
The original (English) title is "decoding egyption hieroglyphs", it was written by Bridget McDermott, and it was originally published by Duncan Baird Publishers Ltd. in 2001. I can really recommend it !

Just finished the last of the Disc World books (Thud). Classic Pratchett. How *does* he manage to keep it up?

"The Cold War" by John Lewis Gaddis. I highly recommend this book for anyone interested in the period. Not very detailed, but that was not the goal of the book. It is a good quick review of the period. And surprisingly, for a history book, relatively agenda free.

"Eragon" Very nice light read ... am about to start the second book.

"His majesty's Dragon" series. First is a great ... second starts slow but picks up ... third is pretty good, though not *quite* up to the quality of the first.

I finished A Feast for Crows. Definately the weakest of the series and I can't understand why he is introducing additional content at this point (given the grand story arc). But, it good enough to keep me wanting more.

Started Tad Williams ShadowMarch this morning. He tends to be a plodding author but Memory, Sorrow and Thorn is still an amazing series taken as a whole. His character development is as strong as Martin. I was left wanting more after that series - even if it needed a good douse of editing.

Back
Top Bottom