What are your top 5 games on your wishlist ?

Baldur's Gate 3 is definitely on my list too, but it will come later so I didn't even mention it. Larian is good at making fun games, and the EA showed me that one will be a lot of fun, even if it doesn't strictly stick to the D&D rules. What I enjoy most in their games is
1) the freedom of acting in all situations: you can interact with many parts of the world, even in combat
2) the semi open-world: it changes with chapters (at least it did in D:OS games), but they're vast and rewarding to explore
3) the dialogues and the story telling: always been a good quality in D:OS, and in the EA too from what I saw

Similarly, Starfield is for later but it will be on my list unless something terribly wrong happens with the game. Even if I'd rather see deeper stories, quests and companions and I now it will actually go the other way, it's far from bad and there's still a great exploratory component in their games.
I've come to the conclusion that Baldur's Gate 3 will more then likely not be released until late 2023-24, I just say that given the recent interview Swen did last month.

As for Starfield I have high expectations but like you said it will probably be different.

It's funny you say that because I had a similar impression. It's hard to pinpoint why for me, but Risen didn't do it for me. Risen felt like a step back in some ways and I didn't like the lore much either. Risen 2 was technically better in many ways but then I didn't like the island mechanics much. Then Risen 3 was really not for me.

Elex was a but magical again.
Exactly the original Risen had some of the old Gothic magic but after the two sequels it was lost. I get it PB was tired of medieval settings, and lost the Gothic IP at that time.

So they wanted to try something different. It worked but it wasn't on the Gothic level.

The top game on my list is Wizardry: the 5 Ordeals which is probably dead for copywrite reasons.

The next 5 games are:

1. Expeditions: Rome

2. Archaelund

3. Trails of Cold Steel 3 (still have 2 in my backlog)

4. Disciples : Liberation

5. Cyberpunk 2077
Why ooh why? :)

I've been away from RPGWatch this week due to time constraints and also due to fighting against my motherboard's BIOS updates (oh God, never more. My mobo isn't dead but I'll never update it again) and a need to reinstall Windows10.

Thank you @Pladio; for creating such an interesting thread :)

My main wishlist is kept at gg.deals. I have a Steam wishlist which gg.deals can read its entries from but now it only contains a small list of games.

Well, let's proceed (in alphabetical order):

• Baldur's Gate 3 - because of possible spoilers, I've been avoiding reading news and/or watching videos about this game. I'm hopeful that this game will be a hit. I loved BG 2 and its expansion and Larian know they have a beloved franchise in hands. Let's see what they can do with a proper budget :)
  • Jagged Alliance 3 - I don't know about you but I liked the reveal trailer released two months ago. Yes, we've been burned by all previous games bearing the name "Jagged Alliance" but we can only hope that this time they'll get it right. Heck THQ, at least give us a fun game on its own :)
  • Project Haven - I played the demo and I liked it. It's a good tactical squad game and I have a soft spot for this subgenre. :) The devs have been actively working on it (I visit their Discord channel from time to time).
  • Urban Strife - another game whose demo I played. A JA-inspired tactical squad but this time with base management, which is a thing I'm really eager to see how it fares (sadly the demo showed us nothing of the base management) .
  • Within the Cosmos - you can't help but think about The Outer Worlds when you see this game. The first-person view, the colors, the sci-fi setting, the art direction… I think this game is being made by a solo developer. Let's hope he doesn't lose his focus and/or his patience and that he can deliver us a good RPG.

Bonus Entries (they're not officially on my wishlist.. yet):
  • Dying Light 2 - every time I see a DL2 video I fall in love more and more. Will my current PC setup be able to properly run this game? :p
  • S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Heart of Chernobyl - S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl was the only game in this series that I played and it was great. So, why not?

Last edited:
To save Pladio some time.... why those games, @ChaosTheory;?

I doubt I'll play Dark Envoy next year, but I think it's the game I'm most curious about. It's made by the same people that did Tower of Time. That game had the exceedingly cool slow-speed battle option and the most 3D isometric maps I've ever seen but, beyond that, it seemed rather bland. I'm very curious to see how the second game is going to turn out. Is this the start of something big for Event Horizon, or were they just a flash in the pan?

Why ooh why? :)

Apparently there is a company holding the licence for Wizardry: The 5 Ordeals, but a different company holds the licence for Wizardry 1-5. Wizardry the 5 Ordeals has a editor which lets you make your own adventures, and the owners of the Licence for Wizardry 1-5 are afraid people could remake the original 5 games in the editor, making their licence obsolete. So they got an injunction put on Wizardry the 5 Ordeals outside of Japan. Thats just a rumour on the Steam Forum. But the game has been removed from Steam outside of Japan, so there probably is some truth to it.

It's funny you say that because I had a similar impression. It's hard to pinpoint why for me, but Risen didn't do it for me. Risen felt like a step back in some ways and I didn't like the lore much either. Risen 2 was technically better in many ways but then I didn't like the island mechanics much. Then Risen 3 was really not for me.

Elex was a but magical again.

I liked Risen. It's not quite on the same level as Gothic 1 & 2, but at least it was better than Gothic 3. It's too bad PB decided to go in a different direction with Risen 2 & 3 rather than expanding on the first game.

Not being very prescriptive as to the where the list is coming from. Mostly wanting to know most anticipated games and why personally. But you can use it as you want.
Why are these the games you have most interest in though ?

I am not sure why exactly ... something appealed to me. Will try to spell out what it was :)

- Wartales
>> I like the time setting and artwork to the game. There was something fun about how they did all the visuals in the game - from the oversized characters on the map to the cozy looking locations. I also liked the premise of being just an every day merc out trying to survive and make a living. Sounded like a fun challenge. I like games like that from time to time.

- Lost Eidolons
>> A fantasy setting, which I enjoy, with a cool main character, Edon. While I normally dislike a preset protagonist I like Edon so can make do. I like games with companions and story and this looks like there will be some of both. Not sure if I will get it till I see more of it in action. The demo was okay but clunky so I didn't play enough of it to get a good feel.

- Shieldwall Chronicles: Realm of Madness (big question mark as I know very little about it but looks interesting)
>> Really this is just something of possible interest. It is a fantasy setting and if it has companions, somewhat open world adventures, ability to make your own character, and an interesting story combined with fun graphics then I might like it.

- Alaloth: Champions of The Four Kingdoms (another mostly unknown)
>> Exactly the same reason as Shieldwall above.

- Spellcaster University
>> It is a "cute" style game normally not my taste. I added it to the list because it looked fun and I was thinking it might be a relaxing game to play because of the fun and cute style of the graphics and theme. I also enjoy some building and magic so it is on my list as something new (as in a new style of game for me) to try out at some point.

Roughly in the order I think they'll release:

Expeditions: Rome - Coming out next month. I finished playing Viking earlier this year and really enjoyed it. From the previews, Rome looks even better. This is my favorite type of RPG (turn- and party-based) and this series' historical settings are unusual for the genre.

Victoria 3 - Speaking of history… The only PDS series I particularly like is Crusader Kings, but this game looks surprisingly similar in some ways, with less focus on war and expansion than any of their other titles. I look forward to trying to survive as a tiny country somewhere.

Fallen Gods - A very indie RPG from the studio behind point-and-click adventures Primordia and Strangeland. You play a, uh, fallen god who has to return home by having adventures in a semi-randomized world based on Northern European mythology and folklore. This has the potential to be a better executed version of what Sunless Sea was trying to be.

Baldur's Gate 3 - Not a terribly original pick, but remember: turn- and party-based! Plus I had a blast with D:OS2, which remains a one of a kind game if we except D:OS1. BG3 also looks more like Dragon Age: Origins than any other RPG I've played, and since I have no hopes of Bioware making another game like DA:O this is the closest we are likely to get.

Witchbrook - A magic school sim and RPG with one of the loveliest 2D art styles I've come across in gaming. I like that they are not just drawing inspiration from the obvious sources, but the likes of Miyazaki, Pratchett, and Garth Nix as well. I'm more interested in this than the other magic school RPG that's upcoming because, frankly, an ARPG is about the least compelling way to go about this kind of game.

Not a specific game, but I kind of miss playing a AAA RPG. They are not necessarily better than indie and AA ones, but they scratch a somewhat different itch. I haven't tried one since Wild Hunt. While there's a bunch of upcoming ones and, statistically, I expect I'll like at least one, I have misgivings about all of them, hence why none are on my list.

->Elex 2 : Elex 1 was great, I tend to enjoy PB games,
->BG3 : BG2 is still my favorite RPG ever. But I will admit I'm a bit sceptical with BG3 since it's developped by Larian and I didn't really enjoy their latest games (D:OS1 &2)
-> Starfield : Bethesda games always offer a great freedom. They are games that can always surprise. I'm curious about how they are going to do it with an entirely new setting.

But I will admit that I'm not nearly as excited with 2022 as I was with 2021. Trudograd, Pathdinder: WOTR, Solasta, Encased... what a year we had!

Out of random curiosity and potentially to help people find new games.
Share your top 5 games on your wishlist and why you look forward to buying/playing them. They can be released already or not.

Note, I am limiting to 5 because some people including me have dozens of games and just listing game names out without context feels a bit useless to me.

• Elex 2 - I have enjoyed almost all PB games and this includes Elex. I love the exploration and this is a definite buy for me. I don't play these games for story, but rather for fun exploration and a definite feeling of character progression (Killing those scavengers in one swoop in Gothic 1 was very satisfying :p)
  • Encased - This looks like one of those games that I should theoretically love as it's the classic turn-based RPG with different build paths and different ways around problems.
  • Wildermyth - Highly recommended turn-based battle game with lots of unique features.
  • Cyberpunk 2077 - One of those games I'm unlikely to ever finish, but would probably enjoy a lot for the time I do spend in its world.
  • Greedfall - Not hundred percent certain about this one, but seems like a PB-like game in many respects to me even though it may not be. So wanting to try it out.

I wouldn't worry about missing out on Greedfall based on my ~40% playthru. One of the more disappointing games I discovered via these webpages. Maybe if you can find for a few bucks somewhere someday. The rest are on my list too!

Top 5+4 upcoming:

Top 5 + 1 released:
1, Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous
2, Wasteland 3
3, Sherlock chapter 1
4, Wartales
5, Solasta: Crown of the Magister
6,Disciples: Liberation

I looked up Wartales on Steam and it still says 'early access game'. Am I missing something?

Back
Top Bottom