What games are you playing now?

In HZD you need a variety of weapons with different effects, not mushrooms.
There are spots where you need to do some basic platforming (a huge dinosaur for example) and that's it. All you need to do there is jump toward a ledge or something that looks like a ledge and that's it. And you don't need to rush anywhere, there is no timed crap like in AC2.
About twitch combat - it's usually an instafail. Whenever possible you should go stealth+crit. Won't work against birds, but usually there is only one lurking, or a few small ones (means, easypeasy with ropes).

The parkour is mostly automatic. You just aim in the right direction and hit the jump key. You definitely need some twitch skills for the combat though.
Since I don't like twitch fighting myself I can add something here: There are stealth mechanics and you can learn to control (dominate) most machine type enemies. Most fights with other types of enemies can be done with things like traps and ranged weapons, so you can avoid twitch based melee fights nearly completely (I happen to prefer stealth and ranged types in all RPGs). At least in normal difficulty I had no really frustrating fights. On the other hands there were a few boss fights where I died a few times before managing them, so the game is not boringly easy on the other hand. By the way I play HZD with mouse and keyboard on PC, since I don't like controllers.

Alien isolation. I haven't encountered the alien yet, so it is still fun and interesting. Heartbeat is steadily rising though. If you don't hear from me within one week. Don't bother calling the hospital. It's too late :)

Who has played this in VR (in the first playthrough)?

Made a mistake and started playing Watchdogs: Legion (PS4)

I've decided not to go for it bcs Yakuza7 in a week, but I've heard it's as buggy as AC:Unity was.
Please do share some input on it.
And on other game aspects ofc.

On performance: I'm playing on PS4, so we have a mostly 30fps performance, with big screen tears when driving. The game looks good, but IMHO the visuals are boring as hell -- if you've played Spider Man (PS4) a few years before, you've already got used to great cityscapes.

On bugs: There were several instances of input lag and overall stutter, but a dayone patch allegedly fixed this -- I still encounter weird frame drops here and there though.
There are many annoying little bugs: cut out dialogs because the game loads during a talkie segment, several AI issues (suicidal pedestrians, braindead enemy and ally). The game froze a few times, but I got used to it after Jedi:Fallen Order (heh-heh)

On gameplay: Standard Watchdogs stuff, but with very repetitive gameplay (find potential candidate, initiate recruitment mission or please the sucker somehow by playing a standard "pay him out", "rescue relative", "do fetch quest", "hack this", etc, etc.)
There is one cool addition in the gameplay: the spiderbot, a small remote controlled device used for light platforming/puzzling segments, which is great for infiltration. Think of the standard drone, but more personal and fun. Beware though: if you max out the spiderbot upgrades, it will be OP and will seriously break gameplay balance!
So far no signs of excessive grind with "time saver" shortcuts, however, considering the main objective (free London's various boroughs AC: Syndicate-style) , I'm expecting a typical Ubisoft bloat on the long run. I think the gameplay would be great if crammed into a 20hr game, but not sure if it holds for 100+ hours (IMHO AC:Odyssey's only saving grace for the long gameplay was the vast, mystery-filled Greek world)

On overall feeling: very unfocused. On one hand, the framing story is very dark and serious, but the cast and the action is totally cartoon. Imagine playing The Witcher with a Saints Row mod and you'll know what I mean. (Mind you, I love Saints Row, because it is a straight satire - WD:L is not)
The legion system seems to be a cool idea, but it is actually a gimmick. If you are an old fart and happened to play the old game Messiah or Omikron: Nomad Soul, you'll know where the inspiration came -- but the different characters in these games were part of some interesting puzzles: be *this* guy to do *that* trick to progress the story further. In WD:L the legion minions are just as that: expendable minions who happen to get rid of enemies with a pocket watch, or an AK47 -- aside some initial chuckles, it doesn't matter that much (the only exception is the spy minion, a really usable "class" for the lazy gamer like myself). Hence I recommend permadeath, so minions become "gamer lives", thus this meta-quirk justifies their existence.
Oh and practically everyone swears for no apparent reason. Even your AI companion drops a few f-bombs now and then. If you happen to see that dreadful Beyond Good and Evil 2 trailer a few years ago, you'll know what to expect. Juvenile script writing at its worst.

And that's about it so far. Hope you are satisfied.

Well @joxer; and @JDR13; have convinced me to at least try HZD. I will give it a buy for the upcoming thanksgiving weekend I think. It'll give me a few days to devote to it since I don't think the family will be getting together.

Nehrim on Steam. I waited a few months for patches but thiis thing still locks up every 10 mins with CTDs every once in a while too. Autosaves happen every 2 mins so progress isn't lost , just the hassle of restarting the game. If it weren't for the achievements I would have quit this one already. Nowhere near the quality of Enderal gameplay is virtually identical to vanilla oblivion but without level-scales. My biggest beef and my reason for wanting to drop out though is the story impetus. You are supposed to be saving the universe from corrupt quasi-godlike beings, however the methods and motives of your sponsors are extremely shadey and have so far (I'm in Ch2 of 5) offered no proof that their agenda is valid. I was ready to balk when I was required to kill an angel to steal a book so I lost immersion and now I'm just gaming it to the end. Enderal gave you plenty of dialog options so you could rationalise your actions much better, not so here.

Nehrim on Steam. I waited a few months for patches but thiis thing still locks up every 10 mins with CTDs every once in a while too. Autosaves happen every 2 mins so progress isn't lost , just the hassle of restarting the game. If it weren't for the achievements I would have quit this one already. Nowhere near the quality of Enderal gameplay is virtually identical to vanilla oblivion but without level-scales. My biggest beef and my reason for wanting to drop out though is the story impetus. You are supposed to be saving the universe from corrupt quasi-godlike beings, however the methods and motives of your sponsors are extremely shadey and have so far (I'm in Ch2 of 5) offered no proof that their agenda is valid. I was ready to balk when I was required to kill an angel to steal a book so I lost immersion and now I'm just gaming it to the end. Enderal gave you plenty of dialog options so you could rationalise your actions much better, not so here.
Are you using any stutter or CTD fixes that are available on the Nexus? Also I don't want to spoil the endings, but think of whats going on as cycles that always repeat itself.

Still the enhanced version has a second ending that's better then the original.

Last edited:
Still poking at the Baldur's Gate 3 EA although I haven't got very far due to jumping between so many games at the moment.

Also messing around with The Suffering, G String, Exoplanet: First Contact, and Panzer Dragoon Remake.

How is Exoplanet: First Contact as I stopped following it's development and let's just say I don't have much faith in the developer either. I hope I'm proved wrong in the end.

It's not very good imo. The theme is cool, but the execution is pretty janky. It literally looks and plays like something from 2005.

dota2 mostly. But sometimes I also play Overwatch.
Overwatch is one of my favourite games at the moment. I am truly amazed at the level of meticulous attention the developers paid to different details in the game. Awesome :cool:

Now then. To wash away the sour taste of Watchdogs: Legion' slick AAA boredom, I'm replaying an old indie favorite:

Serpent in the Staglands (PC)
Wow. All I can say, wow.
By Grabthar's hammer: THIS IS WHAT INDIE GAMING IS ABOUT.
I cannot say precisely why I love it, but I think it is the developer's relentless pursue of a personal vision of what an RPG would be. Very similar what Vince did (Age of Decadence) or Jeff did (Spiderweb stuff) with their games, but MUCH MORE SO: although technically not a perfect game, I feel the developer's heart in this one.

Honestly, this is one of my favorite RPGs of the past few years (hear this Obsidian, InXile, Larian!), and part of the all-time pantheon of what I call "beautiful bitch RPGs": games with very noticeable flaws, but still irresistible on the long run, such as Arcanum, Final Fantasy XII, Ultima VIII or SaGa: Scarlet Grace to name a few.

Finally sat down to understand how dgVoodoo2 works, and got Dungeon Siege 1 on Steam with all it's extra content to work. Only in windowed mode, but it does run smoothly in 3440x1440. But the camera is still a bit too close. But I'm done troubleshooting. And the game is still solid as I remembered it. The world/lore/story though is as generic as it gets.

But about the troubleshooting, I'm just surprised Steam puts absolutely no effort into making the games they sell work on current systems. If GOG can do it what's up with them? They surely have an enormous budget to work with.

I've been playing hearts of iron 4 for the past 3 weeks. Lots of fun to be had with mods. There's a fallout mod which is amazing and changed the whole game.

There's an alternate history mod where Germany won the first World War. That's the one I spent most of my time on.

I've just downloaded phantom Doctrine. Will start it soon

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

I've been playing hearts of iron 4 for the past 3 weeks. Lots of fun to be had with mods. There's a fallout mod which is amazing and changed the whole game.

There's an alternate history mod where Germany won the first World War. That's the one I spent most of my time on.

Old World Blues and Kaisierreich respectively, for those who go looking.

Still on the Witcher 3, been playing on an off for the past 8 months or so. I am nearing the end of the main game, and have jumped into Hearts of Stone now first before I proceed with the rest. According to GOG Galaxy I've put over 200 hours in so far, but hard to say as I sometimes leave it open while I do other stuff.
It's definitely a massive game, and the worldbuilding, atmosphere, storyline and quests are top notch -- I really love the setting (also really liked the books). But, I do feel there is something missing though... this little touch of magic that Gothic had but lacks here... Maybe it's the complete lack of meaningful exploration or loot... I dunno.

Also playing D:OS 2 in co-op with my wife. We're still on Fort Joy, but I feel like this game is definitely a step up from the previous one. The armor system is pretty frustrating though.

I'm playing the Fourville mod inside Fallout 4. I have Piper, the dog, and an NPC named Logan that's from the mod as my companions. I also have a smart super-mutant that is tagging along on this one particular quest. The mod author says it takes 5-8 hours depending on thoroughness and I'm at hour 32. Of course, part of one quest is to visit 4 vanilla vaults and in Vault 88 and 75 I did some clearing out exercises :) I'm also doing a few RAI bounty hunter quests that the guards hand out.

I really like the mod and suggest it to anyone who likes Fallout 4. This mod could easily fit in the main game and I don't think anyone would know.

Legends of Heroes, Trails of Cold Steel three is what I'm playing right now. It appears to be free to play via steam for a few days, so I thought I'd give it a whirl since I really enjoyed the other trail games, including the prior two Cold Steel entries prior to this one. I've only completed the prologue so far, which took several hours, but I'm planning to play more over the weekend. So far so fun!

Back
Top Bottom