What games are you playing now?

So, I'm about 20 hours into ME2 - probably just about halfway through it.

It keeps being a somewhat even mix of things I don't like and things I really like.

About half the missions are mostly really interesting, with cool and unique atmospheres. There's just enough little tidbits of lore and things to find to make exploration worthwhile.

A couple of my favorites, so far, would be the Jacob and Jack loyalty missions. Both had excellent locations and compelling little stories to them. Greatly enjoyed them.

Then there's the other half of the missions - which consist of constant waves of nearly identical enemies. I really, really don't understand the appeal here.

For instance, I just did the Lair of the Shadow Broker mission - which was actually really cool in terms of concept and story - but I don't think I'm exaggerating if I said that 90% of that mission was around 30+ waves of nearly identical enemies. It's just the same fight over and over and over.

I actually enjoy the combat system now that I have my powers to a decent stage. I'm playing an Infiltrator - and having maxed out Cloak and Assassin means I can one-shot most enemies, and I can almost always get away with Cloak. It's pretty fun.

But, man. 30 waves? Isn't that a little much. It's corridor after corridor after corridor.

Even so, I must admit that I'm enjoying this more than the first game. It's just much better paced - and there's a ton more location variety.

I'm planning to exhaust content - or as much as I can without obsessing, as I never did that.

Right now I'm tackling Loyalty missions - and I still have about half of them left.

Also, for the first time, I've chosen to manually use my Squad powers. I usually just let them do it - but I've found that it's significantly more effective to manually control them.

One power that's absolutely delightful is the Shadow Strike ability from Kasumi. I mean, if the game didn't glitch out half the time and prevent her from teleporting to the enemy, I could probably clear the entire wave using that power exclusively.

So, yeah, combat can be fun - there's just way, way too much of it - and way, way too little variety. Some of the boss fights have been fun, though - if a little overly repetitive with at least 3 stages each.

But I can feel that I'm not going to give it up - and then I'll finally get around to completing the last game, which I never got more than halfway through.

Will be nice to finally get through the trilogy and not have to wonder about it anymore.

Can't wait to experience the supposedly terrible ending :)

Majesty - the Fantasy Kingdom Sim

Majesty gets installed on every computer that I own, and has been that way since I discovered the game in the "old days". It's never been replicated, and like Dungeon Keeper, the sequel lost a little of itself along the way. It's what I consider one of my "bunker games", ie if everything goes to hell and I'm hunkered down in an underground shelter, computer powered by a generator in the gradually dimming light - Majesty is one of the games that i consider necessary

Sometimes I dont play it for years, but when I do start it up it's like the first time for me. How can you not love the heroes? "You wont get my gold!" or "I take the road less traveled" put a smile on my face, but as time goes on the heavy hitters like the Priestess of Krypta inch "One step closer.. to OBLIVION", and i'm completely enthralled. I groan as my favorite ranger suddenly "joins the wild spirits", or feel my toes curl as he almost does. My little fantasy ant farm churns along, weeding out the weak, and leaving a solid juggernaut of badass heroes to avenge them. And that final push - dumping all my gold on the final objective, and seeing all my heroes letting loose with everything theyve got. What a rush! After decades, there is stilll nothing quite like this game.

To my chagrin, the old sound editor program is not working on Win10 :|
While I do love 98% of the sound in the game, some repetitive sounds such as the advisor yelling "your majesty! a BUILDING has been UPGRADED!" over and over again will make me lose my mind, so I must replace it with a slight "dinggg" noise or something. I need to figure that out, pronto

I keep waiting for a true sequel or successor to Majesty :) Delightful little game.

I keep waiting for a true sequel or successor to Majesty :) Delightful little game.

Yeah, Majesty II really didn't capture it. Can't recall if the iPad port was complete or not ... might have to try it again soon :)

Picked up a game with a horrible name: Heavenworld. This is a zombie apocalypse game with the standard genres of shooter, looter, base-builder, crafting and survival game. The survival elements are only food/water but there's a robust cooking system.

What makes the game stand out is there are a million options to configure the game. Don't like zombies? Take those out and increase the NPC survivor factions and add more wildlife. Hate dealing with factions and other people's bases? Remove that piece and add the zombie apocalypse. There are events that can be tweaked and all sorts of other options. It makes for a varied experience. Also, Workshop is a thing here, so you can grab different map layouts to keep things fresh.

The graphics are really basic, so that's a big negative. It is also not optimized real well, so you'll get frequent micro-stutters as the AI processes all the stuff going on in the background. The GM's will take and give things to you and change your environment according to their programming. If you have a nice GM, he may heal you after a battle. A mean one may break your gun in the middle of a fight, if you have that enabled in options. There are game ending options from something as simple as building a camp to as tough as killing Hades, the god who created the Zombie pandemic virus.

This game is out of early access but is still getting frequent updates and new content. I'd dumped over a dozen hours in it already and it looks like a keeper to this survival nut. The roleplaying is light. You have companions and also can join or create a faction. If you do this, you have barter options and the ability to accept quests from other factions. You can also wipe them out, depending on the scenario.

@crpgnut; Since you seem to enjoy that genre, I highly recommend you give Days Gone a try. I think you'd like it a lot.

Discworld is a parody adventure game based on a book that parodies fantasy conventions, though in both cases still delivers both a good fantasy story and good adventure game respectively.

In fact there are one or two sequels to the discworld adventure, all quite good (e.g. Discworld Noire)!

Yes, I've tried them both at the time and more recently, but I find them too hard for me. I'm happy to admit I am not hardcore enough for old school adventure games :D

I played the second one and read all novels, almost all novels.

Discworld Noir was always insanely bad to get, since the publisher went insolvency shortly after releasing it. It is one of the highest in the list of games wished to be remade by GOG.
The first adventure is also difficult to get- Especially the translated version.

Sir Terry Pratchett's later novels were much more grim, and not more that much funny, but still very, very good.

My favourite is "The amazing Maurice and his educated Rodents", very, very good stuff, almost a mature book, although marketed as "for young readers".
Has a very grim look on ethics.

"Pyst", on the other hand, had actually existed, since I played the demo. But I have never seen it in any shop.

I played the second one and read all novels, almost all novels.

Discworld Noir was always insanely bad to get, since the publisher went insolvency shortly after releasing it. It is one of the highest in the list of games wished to be remade by GOG.
The first adventure is also difficult to get- Especially the translated version.

Sir Terry Pratchett's later novels were much more grim, and not more that much funny, but still very, very good.

My favourite is "The amazing Maurice and his educated Rodents", very, very good stuff, almost a mature book, although marketed as "for young readers".
Has a very grim look on ethics.
I haven't played it, to be honest I didn't know it existed. But I read many of his novels too, and watched Going Postal. This was rather good for a movie from a book, I had read the novel long before and it's one of my favourites with The Truth and Making Money. But I haven't read The amazing Maurice and his educated Rodents, probably because it was tagged "children" - I suspect most of his books could easily be read by children who would still have fun reading them, even without grasping the references. (in fact, I suspect that any of his reader is still a child ;))

I'm not surprised there are games in the same universe, it's a good setting.

So, I'm about 20 hours into ME2 - probably just about halfway through it.

It keeps being a somewhat even mix of things I don't like and things I really like.

Thought of you as Shamus Young put up a post 'Mass Effect 2 Broke the Franchise' today ... not sure I care that much, but really he isn't wrong. I found the mechanics and side-stuff better in #2 but the narrative pretty nonsensical.

https://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=52293

But I haven't read The amazing Maurice and his educated Rodents, probably because it was tagged "children" - I suspect most of his books could easily be read by children who would still have fun reading them, even without grasping the references. (in fact, I suspect that any of his reader is still a child ;))

In my opinion, it is almost an "adult" book, given the fact how much it teaches about humanity and ethics. It is in some parts in fact quite grim.

And, you might implicitely learn a few bits about the German language, too ! ;) :lol:

( I read it in English, by the way. ;) )

I have been playing Heroes of Might and Magic 3 since that other thread on a game similar to it.

Love that game.

It really is a great game. And a timeless one. I'm shocked at the size of the fanbase it still has. People like on twitch like there's no tomorrow. I follow a particular streamer that plays insanely often and long sessions. It's become a sort of chess, I guess. Especially for russians, is what I hear. They have the biggest HOMM communities.

It really is a great game. And a timeless one. I'm shocked at the size of the fanbase it still has. People like on twitch like there's no tomorrow. I follow a particular streamer that plays insanely often and long sessions. It's become a sort of chess, I guess. Especially for russians, is what I hear. They have the biggest HOMM communities.
If you ever feel like playing,make sure you install horn of the abyss.

It's a mod that makes the game much better in many ways including tons of quality of life improvements.

But I haven't read The amazing Maurice and his educated Rodents, probably because it was tagged "children"

Yeah, I was a bit dubious about this when I was going through the Rincewind books. Just out of completionism I thought I ought to at least try out Eric, which was marked as a young adults/Children's book. It turned out to be not much different to a regular novel, just much shorter and it had a child/young adult as a main character, which is I think the main difference.

I'm still playing Nehrim. And walking by the beautiful beaches of Salathin Coast I came across the most dangerous creature in the game: the killer rock.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

The tragic consequence of a giant crab falling in love with a stone golem, the resultant offspring of stone crabs!

Back
Top Bottom