What games are you playing now?

I have the boxed release of BoD. I may have finished the first level I can't remember, I just know combat was way too hard for me! The only other game I remember being tougher was Kings Field, where I couldn't defeat the very first enemy! I'm just terrible at timing attacks and having to watch for cues.

I have the boxed release of BoD. I may have finished the first level I can't remember, I just know combat was way too hard for me! The only other game I remember being tougher was Kings Field, where I couldn't defeat the very first enemy! I'm just terrible at timing attacks and having to watch for cues.

Nice, that you have the boxed version. BoD was a weird accident of a game. From what I remember reading they kind of ran out of money towards the end, and the ending is really rushed. Or at least it seemes to me.

I just finished the re-released version and yeah, the final level especially is basically just one enormously long corridor marathon and you fight loads of enemies, beside just having a fight with most of the boss enemies you encountered across the campaign. But there's no exploration anymore. You just go, almost in a straight line, from fight to fight. And the last boss, holy shit was it bad. Took forever and was kinda boring. I wasn't in any danger at all. Not that I'm complaining about not being in danger. I'd have hated it to also die a lot in it.

After the recent talk about Far Cry 6, I decided to give Far Cry 5 a try.

It starts off decent enough. I really liked the prologue, and the whole militia cult premise seemed cool at first.

I've only just cleared the starting area though, and I can already see this is just typical Ubisoft fare. I'm already dreading the paint-by-numbers map-clearing exercise after seeing what the rest of the map looks like.

I'll probably play a little longer just to kill some more Trump supporters, but I don't see myself finishing this.

I'm still playing Pathfinder. It's been over 60 hours and I'm still finding it fun. I especially like the quests and the choices but dislike all the filler combat.

Same as the first one I guess.

For now there hasn't been a need to hate part of the game like in the first one but let's see.

I think it'll take me a long time to finish though as I'm still in chapter 3 and there's a whole load left to explore.

I'm currently in a map which is massive and has taken me over an hour to explore two thirds of it.

After the recent talk about Far Cry 6, I decided to give Far Cry 5 a try.

It starts off decent enough. I really liked the prologue, and the whole militia cult premise seemed cool at first.

I've only just cleared the starting area though, and I can already see this is just typical Ubisoft fare. I'm already dreading the paint-by-numbers map-clearing exercise after seeing what the rest of the map looks like.

I'll probably play a little longer just to kill some more Trump supporters, but I don't see myself finishing this.

I really liked Far Cry 5 as a comedy game :) . Clearing outposts will reduce enemy activity in the game regions by the way so there is at least a little reward and incentive for doing so (as there is for silently clearing outposts without raising the alarm).

The only complaint and annoyance I would share from the negative reviews is how the game sometimes pulls you out of whatever you are doing because of a scripted story event. That can be kind of irritating when you were in the middle of something and all of a sudden uncle Joseph requires your attention.

Other than that, I thought it was wild, crazy fun with flying (planes & helos), racing, wingsuits, jetskis and a beautiful world to explore. The best part, and what made it a great comedy game for me, was the companions.
Put Hurk (the bazooka nut case) and Adelaide (the chopper lady) on your team and the game goes completely insane :biggrin: . I found it hard to keep playing from all the laughing at their comments sometimes. Hurk has some of the best comments/dialogue EVER in a video game. Seriously.

I also played and finished New Dawn which was also really good. To me, FC5 & New Dawn were tons of fun but I can understand being tired of the Ubi open world formula. I try to keep a decent amount of time between Ubi games as well to avoid that Ubi game fatigue.

That said, I grabbed FC6 and played a bit of the beginning of the game. So far, so good. There is a bug with the HD texture pack so I put the game on hold until there is a patch. I have more than enough other games (like dozens) to finish anyway (2TB SSDs should be prohibited by law :biggrin: ).

I'll try to keep an open mind and stick with it for a while. Who knows...maybe it'll end up being the first Ubisoft game that I actually enjoy for more than just a few hours.

Did you customize the HUD at all? I find the world icons really irritating, but playing with them toggled off seems like an exercise in frustration. That's one of my main beefs with Ubisoft's games. It's hard to locate things without the markers, but the markers themselves kill a lot of the immersion for me.

Did you customize the HUD at all? I find the world icons really irritating, but playing with them toggled off seems like an exercise in frustration. That's one of my main beefs with Ubisoft's games. It's hard to locate things without the markers, but the markers themselves kill a lot of the immersion for me.

I can't be 100% sure as it's been 3+ years since I've played another Far Cry game, but my sense in playing 6 is that they have changed how they display icons. The main map has a lot fewer icons on it and you have to zoom in all the way (there are 4 levels, IIRC) to see most of those. A lot of the icons only show up on the minimap now.

I can't be 100% sure as it's been 3+ years since I've played another Far Cry game, but my sense in playing 6 is that they have changed how they display icons. The main map has a lot fewer icons on it and you have to zoom in all the way (there are 4 levels, IIRC) to see most of those. A lot of the icons only show up on the minimap now.

I don't mind icons on the map. I'm talking about the ones floating around on the screen while you're in the game world.

Your main objective marker is particularly annoying. It's a bright yellow icon that constantly pulses. Afaict, the only way to get rid of it is to toggle a setting called "World Icons" in the options menu, but they had the genius idea of tying *all* the icons to that setting instead of being able to just turn off quest markers.

Another thing I find really annoying is that there's no individual settings for sound and music in FC 5. There's just one volume slider for everything which is mind-boggling to see in a AAA game.

@JDR13

I did not mind those icons. I don't know… I kind of don't even really see them consciously. I just look through them in a way… maybe a bit like when you are driving in a car and taking note of traffic signs and markers subconsciously. I can definitely see how those markers would be annoying if you can't stop noticing them.

Maybe it also helps that immersion is not a big factor for me in Far Cry. To me, Far Cry is a gamey popcorn shooter like Call of Duty single player campaigns or something like that.

Yeah, "gamey" is definitely a word that describes Ubisoft titles. I'm probably beating my head against a wall trying to make it more immersive when I already know that immersion is not a big factor in their design decisions.

Every October I play Horror games and this year so far:
Vampyr 100% completed. Liked the more realistic morality of the characters, disliked combat with awkward controls. Wish Dontnod had made this more like their other games.
Stygian 48% due to impossible achievements but finished the game. Excellent roleplaying opportunities, looks like a $1.00 trashware game.
Sherlock Holmes The Awakened. Just started but the engine brought immediate nostalgia of Morrowind. :)

I played Vampyr for the first time last month, and yeah, those controls are completely wonky. I really enjoyed the story and trying to figure things out during the game-play, yet the combat is so uninviting that I doubt it's a game that I'll ever replay. Totally worth doing at least once, though.

Right now I'm playing a game with zombies. I honestly forgot what the game is called. It's an easy game. Doesn't get boring.

Guild Wars. I said I wouldn't touch it again but hubbie bought me Nightfall and with the new heroes it makes life a lot easier. I'm almost at the end of the first campaign now

Titan Quest. I like it a lot. Yes, its diablo2 with better graphics and physics, but that is what makes it so enjoyable for me. I tried a ranger first, but got fed up with running after my pets so now I've made a Pyromancer that blows up things. Great stuff

On the DS I am playing (don't laugh) Pokemon. My 7-year old has been madly into the game since it came out and some of her enthousiasm must have rubbed off because I bought my own copy. Once you get over the fact that you are playing a 10 (?) year old who got happily sent out into the world on her own by her mother (bad mom!) and the fact that you are keeping little living sentient beings in tiny balls only to come out and fight each other until on of them loses conciousness, it is actually a great turn based RPG.
I find it harder then my daughter since she watches the cartoons and so understand the rock-paper-scissors system (with 12 rather then 3 elements) a lot better then I, but I've got my second badge

Still playing same ones - Wrath of the Righteous, Valheim and Winkeltje.

Sadly, my WotR run is paused due to a bug so I played Valheim a bit today instead.

Loving the Jack-o-lantern throne :D

ktm77jeflst71.jpg

Still playing Pathfinder: Kingmaker in fits and starts. There's lots I like about it, but there is the occasional thing that really frustrates me. I'm surprised to find that the kingdom management stuff is actually enjoyable - initially it was an unwelcome break in my adventuring. I'm about 75 hours in and have just done that Other World bit with the giant flower thingy, and OMG that was frustrating. I ended up Googling what to do.

A couple of other games have been drawing my attention:
Ring of Pain - a pleasant surprise and a good card game to play in short breaks. What it has over games like Slay the Spire is that when you die and get sent back to the beginning, the beginner bits aren't so tedious due to the interaction being so fast and simple.

Gloomhaven - it doesn't even have the proper campaign yet, and already it's a winner. Very tactical. Initially i sucked at it, before realising that I didn't have to do the ultimate move every time and burn up the card, just do the defaults and save the one-offs for the last room. Much easier now.
I've been keen on buying the boardgame, but it's expensive and I lack the IRL friends that would be willing to play it. Also, not so keen in the whole "mutilate your boardgame as you play" aspect. So, very pleased the digital version is so well implemented.

Guild Wars. I said I wouldn't touch it again but hubbie bought me Nightfall and with the new heroes it makes life a lot easier. I'm almost at the end of the first campaign now

I'm thinking of getting back to GW as well but I keep forgetting my password :lol:

On the DS I am playing (don't laugh) Pokemon.

I used to love Pokemon - played blue/red/yellow to ruby/sapphire but I somehow stopped enjoying the series :/ I feel that the system got too complicated & too many different types of pokemon.

Still playing Pathfinder: Kingmaker in fits and starts. There's lots I like about it, but there is the occasional thing that really frustrates me. I'm surprised to find that the kingdom management stuff is actually enjoyable - initially it was an unwelcome break in my adventuring. I'm about 75 hours in and have just done that Other World bit with the giant flower thingy, and OMG that was frustrating. I ended up Googling what to do.

Oh, interesting, same here. The exact same point in the game. I also googled what was going on in that final flower map. Yes, lots of irritating things but also lots to like. I feel it wouldn't take much for the game to make me quit it over something really dumb, but at the same time it has not yet done that for lots and lots of hours. The only difference between us is that I'm at 150 hours by the same point in the game, so I must be an inventory ponderer extraordinaire.

Back
Top Bottom