What games are you playing now?

Continuing AC Valhalla. I had a good laugh the other day... my longship came in way to hot for a raid, so when I hit the dock the boat rocked so violently all my dudes got thrown into the air! Wish I had the reflexes to get a screenie. I'm level 150 and have yet to find a Predator bow anywhere, and only basic Hunter and Light bows. I appreciate the move away from random loot, but would prefer more in general, on bosses for example.
That is...very strange. I don't remember what level I am.... maybe half that... and to get there I had to play for ~90 hours. I've had a predator bow forever, and have found several of them. What have you been doing all this time? Killing the same guys over and over?

Just started Elden Ring. Gonna see how far I can get this time. I haven't played it since release.

One thing I noticed immediately is how much smoother it runs now. Not even a hint of stuttering anywhere. Good to see they took care of that.

That is...very strange. I don't remember what level I am.... maybe half that... and to get there I had to play for ~90 hours. I've had a predator bow forever, and have found several of them. What have you been doing all this time? Killing the same guys over and over?
Lol, no. I did a fair amount of exploring in Norway - no bow. Then in England I did Grantshire, Ledecestre, and East Anglia, before heading to Ireland. There I've cleared 3/4 the map, I have about half of Ulster left. I haven't built the Hunter's house yet - he probably gives one, but I'm surprised I haven't picked one up anywhere else. Another question - does the story take you back to Norway at any point or should I use the Atlas to finish clearing that part?

Lol, no. I did a fair amount of exploring in Norway - no bow. Then in England I did Grantshire, Ledecestre, and East Anglia, before heading to Ireland. There I've cleared 3/4 the map, I have about half of Ulster left. I haven't built the Hunter's house yet - he probably gives one, but I'm surprised I haven't picked one up anywhere else. Another question - does the story take you back to Norway at any point or should I use the Atlas to finish clearing that part?
Haha, man, I wish I could help you out by giving you a quest or a place to get a predator bow. I have no recollection of precisely where or when I got them. That's unlucky!

I've played a lot further and the story has yet to take me back to Norway, but I've been under the impression that the very end of the story takes Eivor full circle back home.

I've restarted Dragon Age Origins. Last time I tried playing as a mage and couldn't motivate myself to get out of the Fade. I'm playing as a rogue elf this time. It's a bit better, but I still dislike the combat quite a lot. Not sure I'll play it much longer. It was only because Dragon Age 4 is coming out that I was trying again.

It's a shame because the story does interest me.

I've restarted Dragon Age Origins. Last time I tried playing as a mage and couldn't motivate myself to get out of the Fade. I'm playing as a rogue elf this time. It's a bit better, but I still dislike the combat quite a lot. Not sure I'll play it much longer. It was only because Dragon Age 4 is coming out that I was trying again.

I'd quit now if you're not enjoying it. If Origins isn't grabbing you chances are the sequels won't either since most people agree those are worse.

The Fade can be....challenging, for certain, yet I think the rest of the game more than makes up for that one questionable area. And aye, as JDR stated above, if the first game isn't to your liking the rest will likely be far worse. In my case I'd call that a fact.

Just finished Citizen sleeper. What a let down after playing Pentiment. The gameplay is so basic in CS that it can be mastered in the first 30 minutes - there is nothing else to the game. After about 1 hour the entire game became trivial - the only good thing is that you can finish the game (and DLC) in 7 hours. The story is okay but it doesn't justify some poor design choices. It is basically impossible to "fail" anything once you master the basics. I would give it a 4/10 at most and if you don't like Cyberpunk it would score even lower.

I found Pentiment to be much better but still not a great game. I encountered about 3 bugs which really should of easily been picked up by QA. It took me 14 hours to play through and I enjoyed most of it but I felt it really needs a rewind/bookmark system. The game is too long to warrant another playthrough when most of the story has already been uncovered. I would give it a 7/10 and I don't regret playing it.

Psst..there is a mod that allows you to skip the fade.

Psst..there is a mod that allows you to skip the fade.
Too late for that :)
He's referring to the Mage start, which involves the Fade. The Fade section that all characters get is the one skippable with that mod.
There's another section in the Fade - sigh. Ok time to uninstall this game :D

Did you play any of the Dragon Age games, Pladio? Or had you just ended up skipping Origins?

I played them all on console originally, and the combat wasn't great, but it was passable. Later, I tried to play them on PC (except for 2), and it was agonizing. A major example of a game being designed for controller. Using mouse and keyboard, it felt like I was fighting the game more than I was fighting the enemies IN the game.

I never tried any of the others. I had played through a bit more of Dragon Age Origins ages ago, but something shinier came along and I stopped.
Last time I tried it bored me to death just in the Fade. This time, I managed to get through the first bit and the Tower of Ishal. I probably would have been able to play a bit more, but I find the combat very boring.

I tend to not be a fan of RtwP but I did play through most of Kingmaker and it was alright. I enjoyed Tyranny for a bit too but then the combat stopped me from enjoying it fully. It just feels messy and boring to me. I sometimes try to give games more than one chance as my mood often dictates what I enjoy or don't.

Oh well, not a big loss - plenty of other games :)

I had an interesting experience with DA:O. When it was new, I loved it very much, played it a few times with different characters and also all Add-Ons. Some years later, may be a year or two ago, I wanted to replay it once again because of my fond memories. But I was completely bored out after half an hour or so. Somehow I found the fighting mechanics tedious and repetitive, which I hadn't experienced in my earlier sessions. I still don't know why that happened, but I am not compelled to retry it again. But I still believe that it is one of the better RPGs of that era and who has never played it should at least give it a try.

I had an interesting experience with DA:O. When it was new, I loved it very much, played it a few times with different characters and also all Add-Ons. Some years later, may be a year or two ago, I wanted to replay it once again because of my fond memories. But I was completely bored out after half an hour or so. Somehow I found the fighting mechanics tedious and repetitive, which I hadn't experienced in my earlier sessions. I still don't know why that happened, but I am not compelled to retry it again. But I still believe that it is one of the better RPGs of that era and who has never played it should at least give it a try.
I had similar experience. I remember enjoying it a lot in my first two playthroughs, then retried it several times and got bored at various points - each new try made me quit faster. I don't plan on retrying it anymore.

While I agree it was a "better" RPG at the time, its because that was the period where hardly any RPGs were being produced (i.e. hardly any competition) unlike nowdays.

While I agree it was a "better" RPG at the time, its because that was the period where hardly any RPGs were being produced (i.e. hardly any competition) unlike nowdays.
I agree. Gamers were starving for a party-based RPG that would return them to the glory days of the Infinity Engine games, and I can clearly remember how "spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate" kept getting thrown around.

Unfortunately, it fell short of that imo. It was good for its time, but it was no Baldur's Gate.

Well the original Dragon Age build was inspired by Baldur's Gate and it looked liked a better 3d version of NWN. I have to find that very old PCGamer Magazine with the images.

DAO is a fantastic game. The characters, the story, and specially the setting are great IMO. Of course it pales in comparison to new games such as BG3 and PF:WotR, but I don't think people liked it just because there was nothing else at the time. For me, DOA and the ME saga (1-3) were the last good games from Bioware (RIP).

I tried to play it twice, I think not long after NWN2, and lost interest after a few hours, each time. I'm still unsure why, I think I didn't like the transition to action RPG at the time, despite the story. Or maybe the timing was just wrong.

Back
Top Bottom