What games are you playing now?

Replaying Pathfinder WOTR on the demon path, its kinda meh, most evil options are just kill a,b,c. Seems the game was mostly written for the angel or good path. Im in chapter 3 now but went to the islands dlc, its kinda boring, just battles everywhere. Trying to get the secret ending and romancing Wendu :LOL:

I've reached Winter in TLOU on pc. Ever since I've turned down some other texture settings from high to medium (still looks great) it either got more stable, or I'm just either lucky or imagining things. I don't think I got a single crash in the Autumn part. But that's also a pretty short one.

One thing is definite, the whole story arc, cutscenes and points are better in the game than in the tv series. And you also feel like you spend considerably more time with certain characters than in the tv series, where it's usually just 1 episode. Enjoying it a lot more than the tv series.

I finished the base game and will be starting Left Behind. Something did indeed happen. I have had zero crashes since starting Autumn, so a very good chunk of the game. And I don't remember if they released any other patch beside the two or three. But I don't remember a noticeable difference in crashes immediately after. But now it seems to be fine. (knock on wood, with Left Behind).

I'm now absolutely certain the game is better than the tv series. And the remake is absolutely beautiful. They've really outdone themselves graphically. The lighting and the vegetation constantly stands out.

I'm now absolutely certain the game is better than the tv series. And the remake is absolutely beautiful. They've really outdone themselves graphically. The lighting and the vegetation constantly stands out.
I haven't seen the TV series, is it fairly true to the story, and as well acted? I think the Ellie character is incredibly well acted, getting her role right in the TV series is key. Husband is surprised I want to watch it, I don't usually like film gore / horror / zombies though I'm fine if its me doing the decapitating.

I've had no crashes or even stutters at all the last two days. Like yourself, I did wonder if I was imagining things as the graphics of something reflected in water seemed crisper and clearer than the overall graphics.

I haven't seen the TV series, is it fairly true to the story, and as well acted? I think the Ellie character is incredibly well acted, getting her role right in the TV series is key.
Only speaking for myself here, but I thought they could have done a better job of casting Ellie. Bella Ramsey never really struck me as being her. The acting in general is pretty good though, and it's very true to the story.

The tv series is very faithful to the game, but the two main issues for me were:
- a lot of times when the tv series is taking lines verbatim from the game, it somehow feels like an imitation or fan-fiction. There are a few scenes in the tv series, that they reproduced but also kind of made it their own (arguably some are better in the tv series, I do admit). But those are very rare.
- the other issue is that it’s very short and you spend very little time with most characters, versus the game.

On the issue of casting Ellie, I think that was a good cast. She did a good job. But having just seen the “real” Ellie in-game, I prefer her a lot more. Whether that’s because she’s originial or because she’s objectively better, I don’t know.

And it’s the same with Joel. I liked Pedro, though I think a more unknown actor would’ve been better. But even so, I still prefer the virtual Joel, in both appearance and voice. Trot Baker did a fantastic job.

Just finished main story, think I've been peeling onions or something. Really enjoyed it. I hope that other players who can't get it to run are sorted out soon.

Difficult character to write and cast I guess, as Ellie is not really child but not an adult either with all the vulnerabilities and angst that goes with that age. With books, I either read or watch, trying to do both just doesn't work for me. However, at some point, I will try TLOU on TV, we don't have that streaming service at the moment. We are very restrained only get streaming services for a couple of months when there seems to be enough to engage us for a month or two.

The Ascent. This game has not gotten enough attention here. It's a fusion between ARPG like Diablo (without the annoying MMO elements) and "isometric" "twin-stick" shooter. The game has gorgeous visuals and nails the cyberpunk wibes better than CP2077. The universe feels more engrossing than the Pondsmith's universe. The game is set in space on a planet where humans are just one species among others. The universe and lore are generally very impressive achievements for a small studio. According to Wikipedia, this game was developed simultaneously with CP2077 and they ended up doing things quite similar unknowingly.

The game is about shooting and blowing shit up, both of which are made well. The beefy gun-sounds and explosions, and the gun-play overall, feel satisfying. Unlike Diablo, this game does not overkill the loot and the amount feels just right, although there could be more unique weapons and armor. With more focus on writing, dialogue, interactivity and higher budget this game could become a classic. Now there's too much focus on just shooting and blowing stuff up. Aiming is difficult on a controller but may work very well with M&K. Other negatives include horrible UI and close to incomprehensible map. One gets used to those after a while but the game has a steep start and does not explain its systems well enough. I had to google some core mechanics to get grasp of them. Didn't realize that you could blow up vending machines to get access to HP items for instance.

Entertaining game all in all. There's hoping that it would sell and the studio would make another more RPG focussed game in the same universe. They totally nailed the visuals and could reuse their assets in future games.

Last edited:
Playing Dying Light for a while now. Melee-focused FPS with some skill unlocks, and quite fun. Doesn't scratch my RPG itch, but since I only have time to play one game at a time and I want to see how it ends, I'll keep playing it for a while.

After that I'll probably finish Cthulu saves the world and then try the The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky.

Seems there's something peculiar about the first half of TLOU on PC? I just restarted the game with dev commentary, on the exact same settings I thought completely made my crashes go away (as I said, I had absolutely no crashes in the second half of the base game, starting from Autumn. And no crashes in the whole of Left Behind) and it crashed withing 10 mins of starting a new game. Really weird stuff.

Seems there's something peculiar about the first half of TLOU on PC? I just restarted the game with dev commentary, on the exact same settings I thought completely made my crashes go away (as I said, I had absolutely no crashes in the second half of the base game, starting from Autumn. And no crashes in the whole of Left Behind) and it crashed withing 10 mins of starting a new game. Really weird stuff.
Could it be that the first areas were less optimized because they were only learning how to design them?

Yeah, it's very random. After the first crash withing 10 mins, I've had no other crash for a significant amount of time. I sometimes experience some very rare lockups that look exactly how it does when it completely freezes. But it gets unstuck in sub-second times. I'm thinking that maybe that's where it would normally lockup, but for some reason it doesn't? Some other conditions don't happen and it doesn't freeze-up. Anyway, I'm still enjoying it, even as is. But it's pretty obvious that unless you have a strong PC you're gonna have more head-aches than it's worth at this time.

The Ascent.
We've just started playing this in my weekly co-op session. We're only a couple of hours in, but we're impressed.
Visually impressive for an isometric shooter, and they've nailed the cyberpunk atmosphere. More side quest-related content would be good (there aren't many from NPCs), but as it is, it's very entertaining.

Someone in Diablo 3 told me about a great game I missed called Van Helsing Final Cut. Very enjoyable so far.
I enjoyed it very much, when I played it some time ago!

Titan Quest. My favorite game of all. I also sometimes play Diablo 2, as well as old strategies like Dune 2000, Red Alert, and the like.

It's still -67% on Steam. :)

I'm probably more fussy about controls than average. But even with those little problems, I think that it's worth it for the open world, all there is to do, and the fun in some missions. There are a few silly missions too, but it's all right.

Yeah, the size is ridiculous, and a real pain to download. Fortunately there's little risk of big updates at this point.

I purchased this on sale several months ago. Went to install and realized it was crazy huge. But I really wanted to check it out, so I actually upgraded my drive. Installed it. Played for about two days. I also found the controls and save system very confusing. Visually very cool. Just wasn't my sort of thing. Moving on.

I purchased this on sale several months ago. Went to install and realized it was crazy huge. But I really wanted to check it out, so I actually upgraded my drive. Installed it. Played for about two days. I also found the controls and save system very confusing. Visually very cool. Just wasn't my sort of thing. Moving on.
I had the same reaction the first time I tried the game, but since I came back to it a few days ago, it's been easier to get along those little problems and almost ignore them. Perhaps you can give it a second chance once you run out of games, or if you're longing for a big, gorgeous open world to explore.

Back
Top Bottom