What games are you playing now?

I've started playing Call of Duty: WWII

Maybe it was all the WWII stuff on TV during Memorial Day weekend, but I got a sudden urge to try it despite not particularly liking the IP.

I did like the original CoD games that took place in WWII though, so I was hoping it would bring back that sort of experience.

I've only done the first 3 missions, but so far it's pretty meh. I hate QTEs and scripted sequences in a shooter, and this one has them in spades. It does have some nice set pieces though, and I'm enjoying the setting, so I'll press on for a little while longer at least.

I think I tried that COD once, and gave it up within the hour. They really feel uninspired. Plus it doesn't help that the whole setting has been done to death.
They could do something original, and maybe make a historically accurate campaign only from the POV of the Russian front, but that would not be in the interests of the war machine. :D

I resumed my playthrough of Ghost of Tsushima, and it's still a lot of fun to play, especially since I've started delving into the skill tree a lot more.
My only gripe I guess, is that while scenery is very beautiful most of the time I dislike the fact that almost no point of reference stands out. I love games where I'm able to learn the map and navigate it by memory. But a lot of the hills and valleys are so similar, especially due to the art style, that I need to constantly use the wind and the map. The wind idea though is a great idea.

This, on the other hand, I'm not enjoying as much. Needing to pull off these key combinations to improve my resolve (read, energy bars that you use to heal). They're slowly getting ridiculous. This particular one took me around 20 times maybe, to hit all the keys and mouse buttons in perfect sequence and fast.

I've only done the first 3 missions, but so far it's pretty meh. I hate QTEs and scripted sequences in a shooter, and this one has them in spades. It does have some nice set pieces though, and I'm enjoying the setting, so I'll press on for a little while longer at least.
I've played one CoD long ago when I was in a WWII phase, though I can't remember which CoD. I enjoyed it for what it was, but I think it'd be harder to like it with its linear progress and scripted sequences today.

I resumed my playthrough of Ghost of Tsushima, and it's still a lot of fun to play, especially since I've started delving into the skill tree a lot more.
My only gripe I guess, is that while scenery is very beautiful most of the time I dislike the fact that almost no point of reference stands out. I love games where I'm able to learn the map and navigate it by memory. But a lot of the hills and valleys are so similar, especially due to the art style, that I need to constantly use the wind and the map. The wind idea though is a great idea.
That's something I have, sometimes. Lately, I had the same feeling in some areas of HZD. CP2077 was hard for me to navigate by heart, too, but it was only because of the scope of the city, not for any lack of distinct landmarks.

NeverKnowsBest's video about BG3 made me want to play it again, but I'll resists a little longer. I'm still playing Days Gone, enjoying it a lot. It's a real shame this game was not deemed successful enough for Sony.

There are still some annoying bugs, though. At one point, one quest was in limbo and I had to teleport to another far place to unblock it. And I had to make another one a 2nd time because it forgot I completed it after launching the game the next day. Weird stuff, but not a big problem.

NeverKnowsBest's video about BG3 made me want to play it again, but I'll resists a little longer. I'm still playing Days Gone, enjoying it a lot. It's a real shame this game was not deemed successful enough for Sony.

There are still some annoying bugs, though. At one point, one quest was in limbo and I had to teleport to another far place to unblock it. And I had to make another one a 2nd time because it forgot I completed it after launching the game the next day. Weird stuff, but not a big problem.
Day's Gone was fantastic. Probably the only PS game I played twice on PC. And the second time I went and cleared all of the hordes on the map, as soon as possible. Was a lot of fun fighting those. Such a cool mechanic. Really sad no sequel and no continuing the story.

Redglyph said:
CP2077 was hard for me to navigate by heart, too, but it was only because of the scope of the city, not for any lack of distinct landmarks.
CP2077 wasn't easy, but after going down the same streets for a while it did get easier. You do tend to learn it if you walk the same areas multiple times.
Of course, the beginning area is probably the easiest since you walk that a lot. But I feel, given enough time you could learn it. But in GOT, I think also due to the artistic style that kind of blends things together, it's not very distinguishable. Plus it's a lot of empty plains and hills. But even so, it's a real joy to get into combat with the random mobs on the map.

Last edited:
Go easy with the spoilers, I haven't finished it. ;)
Shit. Sorry. I hyped myself up and I forgot where I was posting. Hopefully it's not too surprising to suspect that. That part is even cliche in this sort of media.
But I would've loved to see the story expanded on that.

Shit. Sorry. I hyped myself up and I forgot where I was posting. Hopefully it's not too surprising to suspect that. That part is even cliche in this sort of media.
But I would've loved to see the story expanded on that.
Yeah, no problem. As you said, it's to be expected.

With Ross and Garvin out of the studio, I'm not sure a sequel would've been as good anyway.

Yeah, no problem. As you said, it's to be expected.

With Ross and Garvin out of the studio, I'm not sure a sequel would've been as good anyway.
It’s impressive they screwed up as bad as they did. It’s so hard to breathe fresh life into the zombie genre, and they did, and got turned down. As I usually say, true captains of industry, these people. :|

Last edited:

I wonder when I'll have the courage to start a proper BG3 playthrough. I'm a bit discouraged by the scope of it, so I'm not sure when I'll be able to reserve that amount of time.
There's already so many huge games, and I'm in, what feels like, still the beginning of Ghost of Tsushima; on the 21st of June, or something, Elden Ring is gonna be ready to get into.
Yeah, it doesn't feel like this is slowing down ...

I wonder when I'll have the courage to start a proper BG3 playthrough. I'm a bit discouraged by the scope of it, so I'm not sure when I'll be able to reserve that amount of time.
There's already so many huge games, and I'm in, what feels like, still the beginning of Ghost of Tsushima; on the 21st of June, or something, Elden Ring is gonna be ready to get into.
Yeah, it doesn't feel like this is slowing down ...
The luxury of choice isn't the worst problem, though. :D

If you haven't played BG3 yet, it's fully patched now, and you won't see the time pass once you're in. Well, maybe a little if you aren't playing many TB games. If you burn out easily, maybe wait until you had your fill of more hectic games like GoT and ER, or alternate with one of those?

To be honest, I feel the same... I also want to try GoT, but when? Damn. But I don't care for now; I'm happy with Days Gone.

I've played one CoD long ago when I was in a WWII phase, though I can't remember which CoD. I enjoyed it for what it was, but I think it'd be harder to like it with its linear progress and scripted sequences today.
Probably the original CoD or CoD 2 in the early 2000's? Those were the only WWII themed CoD games until CoD WWII came out in 2017. They were really good for their time. Despite the linearity and occasional QTEs, the more recent one was still pretty fun. There aren't many single-player games that give you the feeling of being part of a battlefield like that.

To be honest, I feel the same... I also want to try GoT, but when? Damn. But I don't care for now; I'm happy with Days Gone.
Days Gone is the better game.

I started a game of King Arthur: Knights Tale and did the first few missions. It seems pretty cool so far. I like how you can walk around and explore areas a bit rather than just going straight from one encounter to the next like most tactics games.

I'm playing on "Moderate" difficulty which is one level higher than the default. The battles are really easy so far, but I read that the difficulty spikes dramatically at a certain point?

I've started playing Call of Duty: WWII

Advice I learned the hard way while playing this game. If you have a gaming monitor monitor capable of refresh rates above 60 Hz, you need to drop the refresh rate down to minimum when playing this game. If you don't, the QTE sequences are almost impossible to beat.

I restarted Redfall on my Steam Deck last week with the 'final patch' dropping and ... it is actually kinda fun?!? Still not all that good - interactions are shallow, AI is braindead, and so on ... but I am enjoying it quite a bit more than the several hours I put in last fall.

One key thing for me was default offline mode - previously the game would fail to connect to the servers ~50% of the time which meant no game for me (despite me connecting to Steam, so not an actual issue). Now it defaults to offline for me and I can just play!

Last fall I paid ~$13 for the game ... I would not recommend paying much more than $10. But for a cheap game it is ok fun.

My daughter told me about a game called Battle Chaser. No idea how I missed this one. It's pretty great all around, at least five or so hours in. My only complaint is it's a little slow with no way to speed up or skip some animations.

I returned to Dragon's Dogma: DA for the third time and I am having better luck this time.

Had to start a new game though because my save game went poof when I uninstalled the game it seems.

I went straight for the magick archer vocation this time. People keep saying vocations are better in DD1 vs. DD2 but can't say I agree. Its a strange mix pots, especially for 4 vocations (strider, ranger, assassin and magick archer) which feel very similar.

Downed a chimera at level 16 (leveled to 17 after this fight). It wasn't a hard fight - it just took so long because it has 3 bars of HP and pawn AI is tragically bad. All 3 were standing at same spot, getting swiped together despite the fact they have different vocations and should be doing different stuff. There is no ooomph with weapon / spell impact and the mini boss music didn't even play.

Really want to go back to DD2 but I am overleveled and waiting on potential future DLC. I hate the single save system.

I plan on just powering through the main plot and see if the game sticks.

If you haven't played BG3 yet, it's fully patched now, and you won't see the time pass once you're in. Well, maybe a little if you aren't playing many TB games. If you burn out easily, maybe wait until you had your fill of more hectic games like GoT and ER, or alternate with one of those?
The big BG3 patch is coming in September. It is adding new endings and a ton of fixes and modding support etc.

The big BG3 patch is coming in September. It is adding new endings and a ton of fixes and modding support etc.
Wait, so the patch that includes those evil endings hasn't happened yet? Or is this a different patch?
I thought for sure the game is content complete and ready to be started, for those of us that were still waiting on that.

Wait, so the patch that includes those evil endings hasn't happened yet? Or is this a different patch?
I thought for sure the game is content complete and ready to be started, for those of us that were still waiting on that.
The game has been complete and ready for a long time, now.

They're improving evil endings, so you may want to wait for the next patch if you plan on playing an evil character. For the rest, it's a few bug fixes as usual and mostly the mod toolkit, so nothing major (unless you're a modder). Even though they're doing closed alpha/beta for the toolkit, there's always a chance of further patches, so at some point, you have to decide when you feel like playing it or wait until the end of times. ;)

Back
Top Bottom