What games are you playing now?

Originally Posted by Shagnak View Post
I'm about 40 hours into ELEX II and loving it, though it looks very last gen and makes my new card feel very last gen.
It's interesting how an RPG so janky and unpolished can capture my interest so much more than plenty of more polished RPGs.
Well, lay it on us. What's appealing to you?

Not playing Elex 2 right now, as I finished it off a few weeks ago. But I really enjoyed playing it. Best part for me was the exploration. Just wandering around, and jetpacking up to the top of of burnt-out buildings or towers, to see what was there -sometimes nothing, sometimes a few little things. Right at the end when the jetpack-flying was basically unlimited, flying to the top of previously-unreachable heights was even better.

I'm on the final level of Doom Eternal now. It's been a love-hate relationship, and I'm not even sure if I'm going to play the expansions. It's significantly harder than Doom 2016 was on the same difficulty, and I'm feeling a little burned-out despite it being a shorter game.
I don't know how you blokes do it! I can't even get completely through DOOM 2016 on EASY without getting my arse kicked....most depressing. I miss the good old days, when you could console some cheat codes into games.

I don't know how you blokes do it! I can't even get completely through DOOM 2016 on EASY without getting my arse kicked….most depressing. I miss the good old days, when you could console some cheat codes into games.
You still can it's a called a cheat trainer. Try WeMod, Fling, or CheatHappens.:biggrin:

I don't know how you blokes do it! I can't even get completely through DOOM 2016 on EASY without getting my arse kicked….most depressing. I miss the good old days, when you could console some cheat codes into games.

You'll probably want to avoid Doom Eternal. :)

I've started playing Final Fantasy 7 Remake. Wow, Jesse is really coming on to me!! And Tifa, of course. Never mind my terrible hair, fashion sense, and personality - as long as a guy has a really big sword, he gets all the great looking women.

Haha, yeah, they added a lot of personality to Jesse relative to the original, but that personality is 90% "thirsty".

I was playing DOOM 2016 on the default difficulty and surprised myself - until I got to a point where I was dying over and over. And then I started getting some access violation errors, so two reasons to give up.
I just checked, and the last bit I got up to was actually the final level (where you have to close the Wells). I had no idea. I might have another go at it soon to see if I can at least get to the final boss.

You'll probably want to avoid Doom Eternal. :)
Yeah, I most certainly WON'T be spending money on Doom Eternal. I know my limitations (read "pathetic"). However, as I'm into my 7th decade, I feel that I have a good excuse...LOL).
I'm currently getting my arse kicked playing Hard Reset Redux -must be my third attempt now. But as far as it goes, it is a really enjoyable FPS. I've had it in my Steam library for years. I keep on resurrecting it -must be my masochistic streak.
Last week saw an attempt at the Serious Sam Fusion version of Duke Nukem 3D(that someone on here recommended a little while ago, if I remember correctly) Excellent game. Better than the original, in my opinion. Giving it a rest for now though,as I was getting lost at one point.

I'm currently getting my arse kicked playing Hard Reset Redux -must be my third attempt now. But as far as it goes, it is a really enjoyable FPS. I've had it in my Steam library for years. I keep on resurrecting it -must be my masochistic streak.
Last week saw an attempt at the Serious Sam Fusion version of Duke Nukem 3D(that someone on here recommended a little while ago, if I remember correctly) Excellent game. Better than the original, in my opinion. Giving it a rest for now though,as I was getting lost at one point.

I played through the original version of Hard Reset. I agree it's not a bad little shooter. Kind of like a cyberpunk version of Serious Sam.

I also tried Serious Duke 3D, and yeah, it's really good. I'm not sure if it's better than the original, but I'm definitely gonna go back to it when I have time.

I've been playing Enderal for the last week. It is one impressive game. For me it exceeds Skyrim - just everything about it is great. The sidequests are entertaining, variety of items is good, no level scaling and a decent challenge. The only real downsides is the graphical bugs/glitches i.e. npcs getting stuck on terrain and missing textures and the same respawning issues as Skyrim.

I think I am about half way through but if it keep ups the current level of quality it could even be a 9/10 game for me. How I know it is good is often when I am not playing I am thinking about what I am going to do next in the game or I'll think about things I forgot to do in my last session.

Enderal was very good. I was hoping SureAI would go commercial like Forgotten City, but alas...

I'm playing Valheim coop with my brother. Valheim by itself is a bore, but if you add the Epic Loot mod it becomes entertaining long enough to finish the current content. The biggest issue with the game is that the devs made a lot of money and then got very lazy. It would have been much better for the community if the game would have had moderate success. That would have kept the devs hungry and the game updated frequently. As is, this game depends on modders to keep the content coming. The devs basically sleep all the time. It's taken them months and months to dribble out content that is barely there at all. Mistlands should be 3 or 4 updates ago and it's still just landscape with no game stuff connected.

I finished my replay of Final Fantasy four yesterday, so I looked in my library and found an old kick starter that I'd never played, called Popup Dungeon. Initially when I started it up I didn't like what I saw, yet when I stopped grousing and started playing I fell right into a fun rhythm. The campaign mode has you exploring this wizard tower, I've only done two floors so far plus the tutorial, so far it's been more fun than I expected.

Started a more serious playthrough of Alien: Isolation. I started one ages ago, but the anxiety this sort of game gives me was not pleasant. But I decided to try it again, since I love the setting so much. And man, still getting the heebie jeebies so I constantly walk around while squating; so it's taking forever, and I can feel my blood pressure rising. And then some piece of the scenery breaks off and falls, and startles the shit out of me. Damn. Intense stuff. I am not good for horror games.

Currently playing Tales of Arise. I remember a few members praising it and voting for it on last years it GOTY. As an old fan of the series I quite enjoy playing it. Quite surprising indeed. I'm not a fan of all the outfit DLC and comic style conversations though.

Haha, yeah, they added a lot of personality to Jesse relative to the original, but that personality is 90% "thirsty".
Yeah, Cloud even gave a "how desperate are you?" response once. And, of course, I immediately reacted with SHUT UP CLOUD! I mean, come on, great looking, clever, desperate gal that is offering you PIZZA?? OK, so hired you to steal from her... wait, that happened while the others were eating pizza, which Cloud missed out on without a word.

OMG! You don't think Cloud is one of THOSE sorts of people, do you? You know - a (whisper) pizza hater? I mean, there wasn't even any pineapple involved.

I put Alien: Isolation on hold for a bit, and did a quick run through Bioshock 1 to get most of the achivements. But I did cheat on the achivements for finishing the game on Survivor. Seems you can play it on easy and then just switch to Survivor right before the final fight. And man was the final fight a pain in the ass. Only managed to finish it while exploting the environment, and even so I was, what looked like, at 1% health with no more healing packs. I was a bit frustrated since I couldn't get the "all audio diaries" achivement, since I apparently missed one that's completely locked off once you leave that area. I hate when they do that.

And, I also found, what looks like, a decent fix for the frequent crashes I was having with Bioshock 2 Remastered. I did a bunch of things in a hail mary attempt, but what seems to make the biggest diffence in reducing crashes to almost zero (can't remember when I had the last one) was setting the VSync to On. This does have the unfortunate consequence of causing stuttering sometimes, but I'll live with that if I no longer get crashes after Big Sister fights. And so I started a proper fresh playthrough of Bioshock 2, and this time on hard. It's a bit of challenge, but I think I got the hang of it, most of the time. I just need to land headshots more frequently to make it manageable. And play a lot more careful and conservative with everything. And so I managed to reach the Siren Alley level where I stopped last time. We'll see how it goes.

Brigandine (Steam)
Finally I successfully Big Font modded this Unity game, so now I can nicely see the texts. I thought the game will be a bore, when enemy knights started to flee from battle taking with them their entire armies.. this meant their remaining knights were now outnumbered. The last Lady knight - a kinda Joan of Arc - retreated last, taking her entire monster army intact? Since I'm currently watching Bastard Heavy Metal Dark Fantasy , which has a pretty pervert protagonist, who truly seduces all females in the TV anime series, be they friend or foe - I wanted to do other things to this retreating female knight as well.. :]

Anyway the game is now surprisingly fun, after modding. Curiously hacking the mana amount doesn't do much, since every knight has a command point amount, which I guess is tied to their level? Haven't tried to cheat on that yet, but overwhelming the enemy with extra monsters doesn't seem to be necessary.. Hm.. The game puts lots of emphasis on leaders. For example killing a supreme leader makes the entire army retreat from combat, which is true to my Big Boss as well. :D The problem with this is that I can't destroy an enemy army, when first going for their commander, as beating their boss makes them retreat en masse.
So next time, I shall kill the small fry - servant monsters first. Since this is also another strategy.. and since my troops gain significant XP from killing on the battlefield, I shall try this tactic in the next battle?

Another feature of Brigandine is the ability to save between turns. I didn't try yet if this affects the randomness of the next attack.. But since the battles could be long - if you aren't gunning for their commanders - then saving is welcome!

All in all, Brigandine will hopefully be updated more in the future. Runs beautifully on Win 7! As Currently the limited amount of resolutions 720/1080p restricts it to wide monitors. So I decided I simply have to buy one of the special large-pixel 27" monitors, so I can see the dots on screen retro-style. I love old games, so a C-64-style (not modern super-hi-res) monitor is a must for me. Also my old eyes need hard, aliased pixels on all fonts. Makes easy to read everything.

BTW: Here is my Big Font MOD
https://www.mediafire.com/file/h2gwcfqv94jl6pl/Brigandine_BIG_FONT_MOD.7z/file

Attachments

• readme.txt
    1.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
And, I also found, what looks like, a decent fix for the frequent crashes I was having with Bioshock 2 Remastered. I did a bunch of things in a hail mary attempt, but what seems to make the biggest diffence in reducing crashes to almost zero (can't remember when I had the last one) was setting the VSync to On. This does have the unfortunate consequence of causing stuttering sometimes, but I'll live with that if I no longer get crashes after Big Sister fights. And so I started a proper fresh playthrough of Bioshock 2, and this time on hard. It's a bit of challenge, but I think I got the hang of it, most of the time. I just need to land headshots more frequently to make it manageable. And play a lot more careful and conservative with everything. And so I managed to reach the Siren Alley level where I stopped last time. We'll see how it goes.

I find it strange that there would be a connection between having VSync on and crashes. It's even stranger that you would be getting stuttering from using VSync in a game as old as that. Glad to hear you're finally able to play it though.

Personally, I always play with VSync on unless the game is so demanding that my framerate suffers. I hate the flicker that occurs without it.

I've been playing Skald: Against the Black Priory - The Prologue, and I liked it enough to wishlist the full version. Ultima look and feel, but better dialogue etc - enough character to be enjoyable to read, without becoming too verbose. Got to the end and pretty keen to find out what happens next.

About to start Prey. Well, re-start. I played a couple of hours of it years ago, and what I saw was great, but life interrupted. Starting from the beginning again and intend to see it through.

I find it strange that there would be a connection between having VSync on and crashes. It's even stranger that you would be getting stuttering from using VSync in a game as old as that. Glad to hear you're finally able to play it though.

Personally, I always play with VSync on unless the game is so demanding that my framerate suffers. I hate the flicker that occurs without it.

Well there definitely is a connection. I did a couple more switches with VSync on and off, and it’s pretty definite for me. Absolutely no crashes for the past few hours. I reached dyonysus park and spoke to stanley poole. Fought a couple of sisters. And no crashes. So I’m happy. I did have the unfortunate bug where father Wales gets stuck during his fight, on the second floors which are unaccessible. And since my last valid save was a ways off I had to use the console to fly to his body and pick up his key, to progress the story.

Aside from that, no issues. And Bioshock 2 is really growing on me. It’s getting close to the original in terms of satisfaction while playing. And I really like the switch in philosophical themes, from rugged individualism to collectivism.

Bought a month of ea play on steam, so mass effect legendary at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom